AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Stendker grow out and 150G tank build

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dhaval

Default Re: Stendker grow out and 150G tank build

I agree with Ricardo over here, keep them separate...this way you can clean them alternate week.....sump would have been cheaper and easier to maintain..

Real Name
    Ruud

I have considered a sump. The thing is, I am not really comfortable with a sump because I’m used to the canister filters I’ve had in the past… I know, not all changes are bad and maybe I would’ve been better off with a sump.

Plumbing wise, I will rethink my options here before I do my plumbing.

Thanks for your thoughts guys! Really appreciate it.

Real Name
    Ruud

Quote Originally Posted by Dhavalsp View Post
    General question to everyone who is following this thread... if you see few discus from group falling back on growth, do you increase the amount of feeding so that bigger (aggressive ones) get full and runts get to eat peacefully (provided you can siphon remaining food after an hour or so...)...the only concern I see, is that fish will be over fed, appear darker, and less lively...plus excitement about food will go down...what are your thoughts?
    I have noticed growth difference within my group. First, I thought it was because the bigger more aggressive fish eats more than some others. However, when I started observing more closely, the smaller ones are eating really good… Is there be a genetic explanation as well?

Real Name
    Ruud

Week 9 update:
    Placed my tank on the stand this weekend. Also made the choice to paint the background black. Going to do the hardscape this week(end), so hopefully I can transfer the fish soon!

Some pictures:
    Tank and stand
    tank1.jpg
    First coat of paint (what have I done!)
    tank2.jpg
    After three coats, everything is fine and looking great
    tank3.jpg

Real Name
    Ricardo

Looking great. Just avoid PB's and you should be fine.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Mark

Is that stand made of wood or steel? Is it gonna be strong enough to support the weight?

Real Name
    Ruud

Quote Originally Posted by Las Vegas View Post
    Is that stand made of wood or steel? Is it gonna be strong enough to support the weight?
    Stainless steel, 1.5" square beams.

Real Name
    Mark

I like that!

Real Name
    Mark

Also, I think you should turn the stand around. I see a middle support in the front but not the back against the wall. You would want more access under the tank in the front since the back is against the wall. Also, just my opinion but that stand is so close to becoming fancy enough for display. I can see some easy additions for a metal design front gate/doors with stained glass front and sides with fish on them. Ha. Nice.

Real Name
    Ruud

Quote Originally Posted by Las Vegas View Post
    Also, I think you should turn the stand around. I see a middle support in the front but not the back against the wall. You would want more access under the tank in the front since the back is against the wall. Also, just my opinion but that stand is so close to becoming fancy enough for display. I can see some easy additions for a metal design front gate/doors with stained glass front and sides with fish on them. Ha. Nice.
    Haha, I am sorry Mark. I took the picture exactly in front of the tank. So it hides the middle support in the back. Will be covering the frame with a white cabinet.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dhaval

tank looks nice...cant wait to see it all done..not sure if you have decided on lighting yet, but on tank that tall get a good one...and do research on your plants as they wont be getting much nutrients from water you would want to steer away from plants who absorb nutrients predominantly from water..

Quote Originally Posted by ruudvk View Post
    I have noticed growth difference within my group. First, I thought it was because the bigger more aggressive fish eats more than some others. However, when I started observing more closely, the smaller ones are eating really good… Is there be a genetic explanation as well?
    In this case since they are stendkers, I am sure they were bred using nice big round parents... probably they belong to different batches and a difference of a week can also make a huge difference at this age...They catch up eventually as long as you follow all the basic rules.... I was observing my fish more closely today and my discus look more similar in size now then 2 weeks ago...

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by ruudvk View Post
    Week 9 update:
    tank1.jpg
    Is it just the way it's sat or does the tank overhang the stand slightly? I'd be worried if it does

Real Name
    Ruud

Quote Originally Posted by Dave-UK View Post
    Is it just the way it's sat or does the tank overhang the stand slightly? I'd be worried if it does
    You are right Dave, in this picture the tank overhangs the stand. This is because I needed to paint this side of the tank. After painting, I turned the tank around and placed it properly on its stand.

Real Name
    Ruud

Update week 10/11:

Well, a lot has happened the past 2.5 weeks! New tank was set up and running and after monitoring for a while I transferred my discus to their new home. No signs of mini cycles or anything strange, they love their new space!

Still working on the lighting. Hopefully I can build the canopy this weekend.

Some sad news also. Bought a group of 25 rummy nose tetras and 10 corydoras trilineatus and placed them in my quarantine tank. Sadly, only a few rummynose survived the night. I don’t understand why, acclimated them properly and they were happy for 5 hours or so. Went to bed and the next morning I lost 15 of them. The cories are fine. Tested the water before placement and after this mishap, everything was fine. I think it is stress related, but 15!!!!

A picture of the tank (sorry for the potato quality):

tankscape.jpg

Registered Member

rummynose tetras are very sensitive, i read that the red color on their head washout if the water parameters are not goot. Did you use new water ? maybe you had a ph swing

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast