ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quarantine question

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Luke Timothy Sippel

Default Quarantine question

In my 90 gallon discus tank the fish aren't that sick but one small fish is getting skinny but it eats like a hog and yesterday I noticed my adult orange tangerine itching it's butt with its fins. In the past I treated with Dr. Discus Two different ones being anti worms I treated for 5 days and the next week with anti infusorian for the recommended dosage. These were things I had laying around and seemed to help. Before that I have treated with clout dozens of times. I'm not shure what I should try treating now to get them healthy. Any ideas? I have charcoal in the filter but remove it during treatments. I got rid of the plants I had and threw the anubias in my greenhouse for the summer. They grow like weeds outside. And i'm in a northern state, (PA). But what do you guys think I should treat with. I can order anything online so it's not an issue.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Luke Timothy Sippel

Default Re: Quarantine question

Anyone?

The rule of thumb is that if a fish doesn't eat it has worms if it doesn't eat or picks up food and spits it out spits it out it has hex. Your fish could have worms or it could be a runt. I've used both levamisol and fenbendazol for worms with success. If you treat, I would suggest treating all the fish in the tank not just the one that isn't gaining weight.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Luke Timothy Sippel

Ok. Thx and if anyone else has an opinion I would be more than happy to hear it. What would be the best medication for worms that will go a long way for the price and my tank being 90 gallons.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Luke Timothy Sippel

What are all the possibilities of why they could of enherited worms. That way I will also know how to prevent worms. What should I buy to take care of worms/hex ect.
    Last edited by Luke S.; 03-24-2016 at 02:11 AM.

Real Name
    Naz

Quote Originally Posted by Luke S. View Post
    Ok. Thx and if anyone else has an opinion I would be more than happy to hear it. What would be the best medication for worms that will go a long way for the price and my tank being 90 gallons.
    Drop the water level in your 90 gallon to 60 gallons that way you will use less medication. Levamisole or Fenbendazole will work fine.
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Luke Timothy Sippel

Ok

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Luke Timothy Sippel

Where should I get a med at that will last me a while and which one is more convenient of the two. How long would I have to treat for with the water level down.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Luke Timothy Sippel

Anyone?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Luke Timothy Sippel

I just hope I don't lose any fish before I have a chance to treat.

Real Name
    Ricardo

How often are you doing water changes and how much are you changing each time?

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Luke Timothy Sippel

65-70 percent daily. Running an aquaclear110 and three sponge filters (large). Never nitrates, nitrites, ammonia, ph 6.4(very steady). Tds37. I wiegh my added buffer to the ro water with a gram scale to stay consistent. 55 gal water storage tank. Aeration/ heated/ aged. Filters are cleaned constantly but I rotate them so keep bacteria level high current led lighting 36 watt 48 in strip........ Again there isn't much downsides to the tank. I think i'm gonna order kusuri wormer plus because I still can use it in the future if it doesn't work. Also FYI I only use money maid in the hobby and put it back into this add me and my dad are using the money for knowledge before we go big. Kinda personal but I don't want you guys to feel i'm making the wrong choice and as of now i'm breeding discus successfully but still a beginner with only 14 months of experience with discus. I haven't given up yet and hope to never with this specimen. Thx guys and pls suggest what I should try as of meds.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Luke Timothy Sippel

Well screw that kusuri stuff because that one fish that was skinny was the smallest fish and needed to be culled so I put it down and he also wasn't worth anything. Though he's gone i'm sure all of the fish have worms so I will just treat with medicated flake. I might still buy flubendazole and treat once, and then feed the flake because ever the fish I put down was eating like a hog along with all of my other fish. It's too much of a hassle to get a product from the uk. Because it will take over a week to get to me in the us so I will just use medicated flake and order it from the USA.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Luke Timothy Sippel

Pls give feed back on your thoughts of this idea I won't order till tomarrow because it's not a business day.

Real Name
    Naz

IF your fish are eating well, show no signs of stress, no clamped fins and are not hiding there is no need of medication. Keep up the water changes.If you want to treat your fish as a precaution then get some Prazipro and Metro. A treatment with metro should be for Ten days. You can order online or get it from your local fish store.
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast