AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Recipes - I am SOOOOO hungry!

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: Recipes - I am SOOOOO hungry!

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I've got the yearning for chiles poblanos rellenos, frijoles refritos, and spanish rice. I'll have to wait until the weekend.
    man, that made my mouth water! I had that on my trip to Encenada Mexico last year. It was a class and we all got to make them and eat our own creations at the end of the class. Lets just say mine was the spiciest of the lot, but I feel it was the best tasting, if you like for your nose to run that is, lol.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Your recipe for the chiles rellenos, pretty please...The ones that I had when I lived in Puebla were just battered and fried with no salsa poured over them. they were very simple but they sure were good.
    Mama Bear

I've got the yearning for chiles poblanos rellenos, frijoles refritos, and spanish rice. I'll have to wait until the weekend.
    Dang, it does say free shipping! It will be at least a month, perhaps two before I'll be able to buy it. I hope it's still available for that price when I'm ready to buy. My food forum people are wanting me to look at the GE Adora. I can't find any reviews and I'm very down on GE appliances ATM.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Ricardo

Your recipe for the chiles rellenos, pretty please...The ones that I had when I lived in Puebla were just battered and fried with no salsa poured over them. they were very simple but they sure were good.
    Ok, I am working on the chiles rellenos recipe as well as the mole. I asked my mother-in-law and she was up for telling me the step by step. The way we made the chiles rellenos in Mexico is pretty much how she does it, with egg batter and deep fried, but she adds extra stuff that they didn't in Mexico and it is really good .

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

I got a pressure cooker last week and used it for the first time yesterday. OMG, I am in love. I made this. It was wonderful. http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...ea-masala.html
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Ricardo

I got a pressure cooker for a co-worker once and she says she uses it as much as she can because everything is so delicious. The ironic part is that I got her the pressure cooker but don't have one myself

Cafepress.com

This is why I will never be rich...I spend everything I make on my passions. That has always been my way. First it was the auction fish. Last month I replaced my crap nonstick cookware I'd been using for donkey's years with a good stainless set. I love it. The price was good but it was still costly. Then there was the pressure cooker which is a lovely piece of equipment and a huge bargain. They sent two by accident and didn't want the extra one back so I gave it to my neighbor. Friday I ordered $300. worth of valves for the fish room. Yesterday I bought all the stuff necessary to make masa and tortillas from scratch including the whole grain corn. I picked up a real Mexican mortar and pestal made from lava rock while I was at it. That stuff cost a bundle...As long as I was ordering stuff I got a pressure cooker cook book and the bubble bath from France that I can not live without.

I take care not to put so much stuff on my credit card that I can't pay it off every month, but at my age I should be socking money away not spending on my passions. I told my cooking forum people what I had done. The general consensus was that I should keep doing what I'm doing. One lady said that she'd never seen a U Haul behind a hearse. I'm too old to change my ways so I need to stop feeling guilty.
    Mama Bear

Great outlook - keep it up - pretty much anything that makes you feel better is good for you!
    I always try to look at it that way too.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Ok, I asked my wife to make me this for Father's Day

Cafepress.com

I bought a beef tongue Wed. I wanted to stick it in the brine yesterday but I didn't have a full lb of kosher salt and didn't want to substitute table salt so I stopped by the store and bought the real thing today. The tongue is now soaking in it and will stay there for perhaps 2 weeks. (good things come to those who wait) I wanted to make it like I had it at the Jewish deli's when I lived in NJ. I found this recipe. https://jewishfood.wordpress.com/200...d-beef-tongue/ I'll slice it way thinner than it's sliced in the pic.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Ricardo

I bought a beef tongue Wed. I wanted to stick it in the brine yesterday but I didn't have a full lb of kosher salt and didn't want to substitute table salt so I stopped by the store and bought the real thing today. The tongue is now soaking in it and will stay there for perhaps 2 weeks. (good things come to those who wait) I wanted to make it like I had it at the Jewish deli's when I lived in NJ. I found this recipe. https://jewishfood.wordpress.com/200...d-beef-tongue/ I'll slice it way thinner than it's sliced in the pic.
    I've never brined anything in my life!

Cafepress.com

RECIPE FOR PROSCIUTTO-WRAPPED PRAWNS

Recently ran across this recipe and thought I'd post it up as a bit of a 'revival' of this thread:

It's super simple, but super tasty imo- and you prawn/shrimp lovers may want to give it a try:

Ingredients - to serve 2 persons:

A -10-12 Jumbo Prawns or Large Shrimp (5-6 per person)
    - 6 thinly-cut slices of prosciutto - halved length-wise
    - Zest of 1 lemon
    - Freshly Ground Pepper

And:

B - 4-6 large pats of cold butter - approx. 1/4 lb.
    - 1 tbspn. each of olive oil & butter
    - 1 cup Orange Juice
    - 1/4 cup Grand Marnier, or other orange-flavored liqueur (e.g. Cointreau or Triple Sec)

Prep/Directions:

- Thaw prawns if frozen, and remove shell casings if any, but leave tail attached, or not - your choice
    - Dust prawns with all the lemon zest, and season with the ground black pepper
    - Wrap each prawn with the cut length of prosciutto slices
    - Add the olive oil & butter to a skillet and saute the wrapped prawns over med-high heat for 2-4 minutes each side, until the prosciutto becomes crispy
    - Lower heat & add the Grand Marnier to the pan to flame the prawns. Careful with this, the liqueur will likely flame up as soon as it hits the hot pan, and you'll singe your hair &/or eyebrows if your face is too close - LOL
    - Remove prawns & plate them, ready for the saucing -
    - Remove any excess oil from the skillet, add the orange juice, bring to a low boil over med./high heat, and allow to reduce by simmering for a few minutes
    - Gradually add the cold pats of butter, one at a time, whisking continually until the sauce thickens to the consistency you're satisfied with.
    - Drizzle the hot sauce over the plated prawns & serve with fluffy basmati rice, &/or whatever other sides you'd like to serve with this dish.
    Enjoy - hope you like it - I sure did.

Anybody else want to continue freshening up this thread with another recipe ?
    it's fun for me to get new recipes - hope it's fun for you too.

Hey, an update !
    I liked this dish so much the first time, I tried it once more with a slight variation, and decided it was most definitely a huge keeper to my recipe list !

All I did, at the tail end, while I was whisking the sauce around on a slow simmer to thicken it, was to add the zest of approx. 1/4 of an orange peel, with a bit of sugar added -
    what a difference it made ! - the combination of that extra citrus with the beautiful prawns, and the tasty/salty prosciutto was to turn it into a delectable meal !

I found too, that while I was whisking the sauce, it would help to add a bit of cornstarch in water to accelerate the thickening of the sauce to the consistency I wanted it - and it worked perfectly !

Wow, you've got to give this simple recipe a try - it really is a wonderful departure from the usual way of finishing a prawn dish, either for the main dish, or an appy.

This is definitely an awesome dish to appeal to special company - they'll love it & ask for the recipe- almost guaranteed, imo.
    Do give it a try !

Can you tell I'm a real food addict ? Just love it! It's almost as good as S.. !
    Last edited by discuspaul; 03-10-2017 at 10:39 PM.

Hey Ricardo, Liz, Pat, Keith, or a huge number of other food lovers I can't even think of at the moment, where are you when I need you, to give us your thoughts on what you think of this recipe ?

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
    Hey Ricardo, Liz, Pat, Keith, or a huge number of other food lovers I can't even think of at the moment, where are you when I need you, to give us your thoughts on what you think of this recipe ?
    Sounds super delicious. It's super expensive top get prawn around here so it isn't something we get often but I will try to give it a try

Cafepress.com

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast