ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Started From The Bottom Now We're... Still On The Bottom...

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: Started From The Bottom Now We're... Still On The Bottom...

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    How much am I looking at price wise ? Ball park?

Yea rick I told you I have a few nice cameras... Well my wife does!!! Lol
    That Kessil will cost you about $230. Look for one used in a SW forum and you can usually find them for $150 easily.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Phil

Here is my attempt at some pics... I suck w the pics... ready for glare central, here we go!

IMG_8679.jpgIMG_8680.jpgIMG_8681.jpg

Real Name
    Phil

The fish arrived packed very nice and tighly, the cooler was warm, the bags were full and sealed, the fish appeared calm and as if they made an easy trip... Rather than float the bags in the tank it self, I put heated aged water into buckets that match the tank temp and float it that way... Always been my method, I don't see a reason to put dirty bags in a clean tank and I feel this accomplishes the same feat....

Real Name
    Phil

Here are some early shots from the first few hours... I have to say, I was shocked by their relaxed nature and non-skiddish approach... They seemed to form a "pack" instantly and explore the tank as a unit, it was quite cool to see... These are from John's january shipment I believe, so he had them in his care and tanks for a while and I am wondering if that adjustment period really helped them. It actually made me much more relaxed and eager to buy knowing that John had been caring for them for quite some time and they weren't through a quick QT and shipped back off... Part of my draw factored that in and gave me hope that they would transition nicely. I've seen some sad posts here and there of wilds arriving in rough shape, tattered fins, scrapes and the like...Besides one fish with a very slight scrape on his side, which is actually gone already after a few water changes, these fish were in top-notch shape. The bodies and fins were near flawless, the tails were nice sized and not stubby or weird, they don't have that spiky separated top fin, all in all, for wild fish these guys were exceptional...

On to some CRAPOLA pics....

IMG_8688.jpgIMG_8689.jpgIMG_8693.jpgIMG_8694.jpgIMG_8695.jpgIMG_8696.jpgIMG_8697.jpgIMG_8698.jpg

Real Name
    Phil

I believe this was the following day, less than 24 hrs in the tank... Trying to decipher the pics and time frames, but I am pretty sure that is the timeline:

IMG_8699.jpgIMG_8700.jpgIMG_8701.jpgIMG_8702.jpgIMG_8703.jpgIMG_8704.jpgIMG_8706.jpgIMG_8707.jpgIMG_8708.jpgIMG_8709.jpg

Real Name
    Phil

Some better pictures as a "unit" I like using that term, lol, they truly seem like one as they take on this train like tour around the tank with a lead, middle and my big caboose! I tried to show pics of the eyes as well... I have 3 with striking red eyes, then I have one with almost seems to be a solid black eye and then there is this one where the eye is almost like a creamy yellow, sort of odd I have never seen this, I don't believe, they eye color almost matches and blends with the body in a way, it is rather unique and cool looking, he is slowly becoming my fave thus far, yet it's hard to choose with this group! There is always one, as always, that is the smaller of the group, I have one that is slightly smaller but with nice shape, yet of course, he is the most peppy and eager, the best eater thus far as well!

IMG_8727.jpgIMG_8728.jpgIMG_8729.jpgIMG_8730.jpgIMG_8731.jpgIMG_8732.jpgIMG_8733.jpg

Real Name
    Paul

Glad to see you got into wilds after all. They look amazing! Should be fine in the 40B for awhile. Had my greens in one for about 4 months.

Real Name
    Phil

Thanks Paul! Couldn't have done it without your help! Appreciate it.

Real Name
    Naz

Congrats Phil, a very nice looking bunch indeed! Thanks for sharing!!
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Real Name
    Phil

Thanks as always akili! You are always kind with your words and comments! Appreciate it !

Real Name
    Jacklyn

Phil, great looking fish and tank. good job with the sand, it throws wilds off not having anything on the bottom and they end up trying to swim through the glass. the fish look great and really healthy. I agree john's fish amaze with their eager curiosities trolling around the tank within hours of adding them from shipping. congrats and good luck. Wouldn't it be awesome if you could get a pair out of this.
    ~JACKLYN~

Real Name
    Phil

Jacklyn,

Thank you so much! Yea I am happy I went with the sand as they seem to like it and it was cool to try, this is a first for me!

I would love to get a pair!!

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Very nice Phil, those look like nice big boys. Coming from John they will settle in quickly.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Phil

Thanks so much Pat! Coming from you that means an awful lot and as always I appreciate your help and advice either here on the forums or to me direct. I pick up so much from you and your interactions with others, myself or when I pepper you with PM's asking my silly questions!

They sure are big! I am still in shock and awe over them and I don't think that will go away anytime soon! The acclimation period to their comfortably thus far has really surprised the heck out of me. With all the reading I did, I seriously expected some discus that would need some TLC and that would be hiding for days/weeks and not eating well and having me stressed until they finally settled a bit. I was more than willing to take that on, hence my order, but still... To get these guys, big, active vibrant and so comfy. I just said to Jacklyn privately but it is worth restating, the fish almost seem to big, too round and too perfect to be true wilds! I am just truly blown away and so beyond giddy over them...

Anyone hesitant to go the wild route due to some of the reasons I stated, do not be! If you get them from a great source and supplier, you really can't beat it!

I am enjoying the fact that I have them so close to my domestics, it is fun to see the difference side by side...or well top to bottom in my case! Especially during feeding time!

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Happy to help Phil
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast