AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I think it's a myth...

Registered Member
    Real Name
    John

Default Re: I think it's a myth...

I used to use the shrinking hoses for water changes, but I switched to potable water hoses because I ran hot water through some of them (I mix the hot and cold water to the correct temp before going in the tanks) and was concerned about the interaction between whatever those hoses are made out of and the heat. Probably doesn't make a bit of difference. I still use the shrinking hoses for other uses like cleaning out tanks, etc. Very handy.

the shrinking hoses are made of silicone/latex type material which allows the to expand with no issues like a balloon, I must tell you though that you need to be careful cause all that expansion and contraction will cause the hose to fail at the connector and when it does, oh well you know what will happen if you happen to be in your living room or something like that. Just happen to know from personal experience.
    Jorge Q

Registered Member SomeFin's Fishy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mark

I was always concerned about the stories I'd heard about the chemicals that were used in the manufacturing of garden hoses, whether they were true or not. You only have to run water through a new hose once and smell the strong chemical smell that comes out the other end to become a little cautious. That's why I've always used Python hoses to fill our tanks. I bought a 100' Python hose, fitted the ends with regular brass hose fittings and mounted it on a conventional, plastic hose reel on wheels. With that setup, I can connect it to our bathroom sink and fill tanks all day (or until the warm water runs out). Then, just wheel it back out to the garage.

Liz- I've also been using one of the X-Hoses to fill the tank in my office at work. Obviously, it saves a lot of space, and makes set-up and take down a breeze. I've been using it now for almost a year, and so far have seen no ill effects on the discus. The only thing you have to be careful of is the water pressure. I had one explode on me when I shut off the end that was in the tank, before I shut off the water at the sinl. By the time I got back to the sink, the hose (near the connector) ballooned out, tore the nylon covering and literally exploded all over the office. Luckily, it was only water!

Thanks for the good info CrazyAngels and Mark. The fish said that the crinkle up hose was fine but it's good to know that other humans have used it with their fish and have had no problems with toxicity. I'll only be using this hose for a while longer until my new stands are built and I can move these fish that are in QT in the kitchen to the fish room. I don't think I have to worry about the hose blowing up on me or it's connector blowing off because the hose is new, I always turn off the water at the faucet before I remove it from the water storage container, and besides I'm on a slab and my floor is ceramic tile. I'd have a bit of a mess to clean up but I've cleaned up messes from floods many times before.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    For me it is a no-brainer to use a potable water hoses for using with my tanks/fish.
    I completely agree with that. I started using a garden hose years before I even knew there was a difference and I have simply carried on with what is working. I do have one interesting experience related to that. I have a camping trailer and a couple of years ago I bought a new hose for it. Bought a drinking water hose from the camper store. That thing puts a terrible taste and smell in the water. I would expect just the opposite. I trust that the hose is safe to use but I am amazed at the effect it has. The taste and smell is much worse after it has been sitting for a while as the water has been stagnant in the hose. So SOP is to run the water for about 30 seconds to clear the hose of plastic smelling water. Strange.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyAngels View Post
    the shrinking hoses are made of silicone/latex type material which allows the to expand with no issues like a balloon, I must tell you though that you need to be careful cause all that expansion and contraction will cause the hose to fail at the connector and when it does, oh well you know what will happen if you happen to be in your living room or something like that. Just happen to know from personal experience.
    This is a really good point, they do fail regularly. When they do fail, they just deflate and water goes everywhere. They are fairly cheap so it's worth it to me and I keep some spares around.

i have used variety of garden hoses, never had an issue.

Real Name
    Ricardo

$10 for a 25ft hose that is safe. Wasn't a big deal to simply buy the correct hose for such a low cost.
    http://www.amazon.com/Camco-22783-Ta...ilpage_o04_s00

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    $10 for a 25ft hose that is safe. Wasn't a big deal to simply buy the correct hose for such a low cost.
    Ricardo, it wasn't the cost of the hose in my case. I was setting up QT in a room removed from the fish room with all sterilized equipment. I thought I had everything but I didn't. I had ALMOST everything. I forgot about a heater for the water storage container. Dear Ryan saved me a bunch of money and a 50 mile round trip and sent me a heater along with the fish. He so kind. I don't forget a good deed.

I didn't even think about the hose until I'd done flopping on the bottom WC for 2 days. The fish were fine and happy! They continue to be fine and happy. They bite my fingers when I press the FDBWs on the glass. I have read so far that my shrinky hose has it's problems but they are not related to anything toxic to the fish. Actually I have read nothing from anybody here that has ever had a problem using a water hose.

If I were perfect I'd have though of everything. I'm not perfect, sorry. I found out something interesting by not being perfect. My hose is safe, other garden hoses are safe according to the members who have posted. Rick is the only one who made a good point. I will not make this mistake again with a new hose, but I feel comfortable using this hose I'm using.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    I must say I did not know they were available that cheap. I use a 50 footer but even that is only about $20. I probably paid about that for my hardware store garden hose. I'll keep using it because it works but if I ever need another fish hose I will probably order one of those. Thanks.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Ricardo, it wasn't the cost of the hose in my case. I was setting up QT in a room removed from the fish room with all sterilized equipment. I thought I had everything but I didn't. I had ALMOST everything. I forgot about a heater for the water storage container. Dear Ryan saved me a bunch of money and a 50 mile round trip and sent me a heater along with the fish. He so kind. I don't forget a good deed.

I didn't even think about the hose until I'd done flopping on the bottom WC for 2 days. The fish were fine and happy! They continue to be fine and happy. They bite my fingers when I press the FDBWs on the glass. I have read so far that my shrinky hose has it's problems but they are not related to anything toxic to the fish. Actually I have read nothing from anybody here that has ever had a problem using a water hose.

If I were perfect I'd have though of everything. I'm not perfect, sorry. I found out something interesting by not being perfect. My hose is safe, other garden hoses are safe according to the members who have posted. Rick is the only one who made a good point. I will not make this mistake again with a new hose, but I feel comfortable using this hose I'm using.
    I probably should have added more text. I didn't add the link to mean to say you were being frugal, but rather, I provided it for anyone thinking of getting a hose and thinking that the food grade ones are too expensive.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

When I first started keeping fish I used a cheap garden hose that stays outback, laying on the ground the whole year. I was a teen with my first goldfish and 55g tank. Ran the hose into the house to refill and never had a problem.

Based on the responses I do think that the hose thing is a myth. Still, I recommend that everyone use a potable water hose rather than find out the hard way that they should have but didn't.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Naz

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Based on the responses I do think that the hose thing is a myth. Still, I recommend that everyone use a potable water hose rather than find out the hard way that they should have but didn't.
    Good recommendation,Time for me to change the hose, takes close to 50 minutes to fill a 44 gallon barrel with 25' Indoor Plant Watering Hose 1/4 inch.Perhaps I will save some fill up time and be on the safe side for my fish.
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Get a 5/8" hose. Most potable hoses are 1/2". I can't imagine using a 1/4' hose. I have a room full of tanks that need WC every day.
    Mama Bear

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast