ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I think it's a myth...

Real Name
    Naz

Default Re: I think it's a myth...

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Get a 5/8" hose. Most potable hoses are 1/2". I can't imagine using a 1/4' hose. I have a room full of tanks that need WC every day.
    Thanks Next month's budget, got myself a Alita AL-40 Air Pump yesterday.
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

I'm sure this is far from the final word on the garden hose debate, but ran across this this morning.

http://www.ecocenter.org/healthy-stu...ng-water-hoses
    President - North American Discus Association

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Perkins View Post
    I'm sure this is far from the final word on the garden hose debate, but ran across this this morning.

http://www.ecocenter.org/healthy-stu...ng-water-hoses
    thanks for the link

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Willie

I'm glad it worked for you, Liz. The garden hoses at the local Menards specifically say that they should not be used for potable water. I buy RV hoses which cost a little more, but they're also much sturdier than garden hoses.

Willie

I got adventurous because I think that this is a myth. I bought expensive 1" hoses for draining and refilling. I like my WCs to go fast. They say that they are not made for potable water. It's been a couple of months now. No problems so far. Fish are happy. Fish spawn and raise fry in the water.

I have yet to see anybody post anything about bad results using a garden hose or any other hose they use that is not a potable water hose. I'm still waiting. Until I hear otherwise I say that this is a myth.
    Mama Bear

what 1" hose did you get? i'm thinking that might help me speed up my process too. at least the fill part from the pump/water drum.

probably can't use it on my drain side as it would suck out plants/sand

Hold on to your hat because they cost an arm and a leg. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...typ_qpp_86_7_3

This is a less expensive option. It is an excellent hose but it is actually a 3/4" hose with 1" fittings and not the quality of the true 1" hose. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...4335_200654335
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Ricardo

Hold on to your hat because they cost an arm and a leg. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...typ_qpp_86_7_3

This is a less expensive option. It is an excellent hose but it is actually a 3/4" hose with 1" fittings and not the quality of the true 1" hose. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...4335_200654335
    lol, I think you found that out the hard way Liz (read your review lol)

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

I did indeed, Ricardo. I ended up buying 3 of the expensive ones (turns out I got by with 2, oh well...) The second quality one I use for pumping my RO water to the tanks so it was not a waste at all. When I have fish in QT in the kitchen I put the two hoses together and can pump water from the storage container to the kitchen tank. I spent too much money, I know. But it was money well spent. I'll never have to buy a hose for the rest of my life. If you want them when I'd dead I'll put you in my will
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Ricardo

I did indeed, Ricardo. I ended up buying 3 of the expensive ones (turns out I got by with 2, oh well...) The second quality one I use for pumping my RO water to the tanks so it was not a waste at all. When I have fish in QT in the kitchen I put the two hoses together and can pump water from the storage container to the kitchen tank. I spent too much money, I know. But it was money well spent. I'll never have to buy a hose for the rest of my life. If you want them when I'd dead I'll put you in my will

Cafepress.com

My hat fell off

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

...this thing about fungicides in garden hoses hurting the fish. I knew a guy who used to post on another forum until he got his feeling hurt, took his toys and went home, who said that he'd used silicone #2 to reseal tanks in a pinch and it had never hurt his fish.

I've used old well used garden hoses to fill containers. There were no ill effects. I figured that it was because the hoses had been well used. I had just bought a new "as seen on TV" hose that shrinks down to nothing when the water is turned off and gets big and long when it's under pressure. I don't own a TV so I didn't see it there. My supermarket had it. I bought one and really liked it. It doesn't kink! I decided to buy another before I won the auction fish. Without thinking I hooked it up to the outside faucet I was using to fill their dedicated water storage container. It was two days of flopping on the bottom WC when it occurred to me, "OMG, this hose might be full of toxins". The fish were doing fine so (don't beat me up over this, please) I decided to keep using the hose and just watch the fish. I knew that they would talk to me if I listened to them so I experimented with my most valuable fish. (OK, you can beat me up if you like. I shouldn't have).

Bottom line...I've been using this hose for refill with huge WC for weeks. The fish are perfect. Has anyone had a bad experience using a garden hose to refill tanks or water storage containers? Has anyone had a bad experience using silicone #2? I know what the conventional wisdom is. I want results from actual use of these things.
    When l set up my first tank, l needed a piece of hose, and just went outside and cut off the required length off my garden hose that was in the back yard....that was about 20 odd years ago, and l have never had any issues with it.....l'm more interested in your comment about not owning a t.v?
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Liz, your post about the larger hose size got me thinking.

i bought the size up vinyl hose that i use for water changing. went from 1/2" interior diameter to 5/8" and even though it was only 1/8th more it still took several minutes off drain time.

You would not believe the difference a 1" hose makes. It's a shame that they're so expensive.
    Mama Bear

You would not believe the difference a 1" hose makes. It's a shame that they're so expensive.
    well, my plants and sand substrate might note survive that. this newer hose is a little to much power, but i like the speed,...so i risk it : )

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast