ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: 34g rimless waterfall tank

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

Default Re: 34g rimless waterfall tank

Development: I ordered a Red Sea marine care test kit and did some testing and the results were dramatic.... Ammonia was zero that's was a good thing, my nitrates were 50 ppm!!!! Through the freaking roof! I was in shock... And disapointed in my self. My API test kit showed 10ppm not that bad, but boy was it wrong. I herd the rumors about the accuracy of them being poor but never really experienced it till now. How long has this been going on ? I have began the water change and plan to change at least 95% but can't do it too quickly. This was a eye opener. It's just a shame I had to lose a clown.

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

Well after the water change levels are acceptable and all seems well. Went to FFM and took a look around, didn't bother buying anything seeing as I drill need to get a handle on the nitrates.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Debow View Post
    Well after the water change levels are acceptable and all seems well. Went to FFM and took a look around, didn't bother buying anything seeing as I drill need to get a handle on the nitrates.
    that was very high nitrates, but at least you only lost one instead of all. Live and learn my friend.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

Well after a few weeks my nitrates are lowering and I am seeing less algae on the bottom of the tank. I plan on adding a bio pellet reactor in order to help out. Now that I can test and actually know what the levels are I can adjust accordingly.

Well after a few weeks my nitrates are lowering and I am seeing less algae on the bottom of the tank. I plan on adding a bio pellet reactor in order to help out. Now that I can test and actually know what the levels are I can adjust accordingly.
    I've read so much and watched many videos about bio pellet reactors. When used properly people have great results. I was trying to figure out a way to use one on a discus tank. Sad to find out it's not possible as the key is to using it in conjunction with your skimmer

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

Ya I though of that too, I think when I put one on the sw tank I will see great results. Probably just going to make a manifold to run up to 3 reactors bio pellet, gfo, and carbon if needed.

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

Just a 11 month picture update. Fish are doing great still vary little aggression. Water quality has stabilized and nitrates at a minimum. The coralline is growing nicely and finely starting to spot on the bottom. The dry Rock has come along nicely and was worth the wait.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

So simple but such a cool setup.
    Im not illiterate...only my phone's auto correct is

Real Name
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    So simple but such a cool setup.
    +1... I thought the same thing! Really cool tank man!

Any plans to get some aanemone in there or anything they can go in?

I was at the mystic aquarium and they have a clownfish herem tank they called it. Tank was like yours but lush with nems and full of clowns, was a pure lovely sight to see!

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

Thanks! I have been power feeding the fish and getting them to grow the most I can before I add any nems or corals. There will be plenty of nems to come. Bubble tips and flower nems.

Wow Devon that looks amazing! After reading back a bit I am glad I started with the Red Sea kits. They seem to be very accurate. I have really been able to hone in on my Ca, Mg and KH levels testing and dosing until I get the hang of how they interact.

Love the group of clowns. Just gorgeous. Not sure if you saw my last post but I just picked up an amazing Flower Nem. This one is way cooler than the first one which is still doing great. The new one came from The Coral Dudes which does mostly online sales but is local and just ordered 100 of these in. Since I was there in person I got to choose mine. Online orders get what they pick for you.

Can't wait to see the new additions!
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

Thanks, I figure a few more months and I will start to add more inhabitants. Once I got the Red Seal test kit I found myself really being able to accurately test my water.

Thanks, I figure a few more months and I will start to add more inhabitants. Once I got the Red Seal test kit I found myself really being able to accurately test my water.
    It's funny the first time I used the Red Sea kits it took me an hour, now I have it down to a science. I keep a log of readings and dosing. Makes sense of what is going on in there and what I need to adjust.
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

Well another update, I just plaved my order for 7 bubble tip anemones 3 rose and 4 green they are coming for a Saturday delivery so I have lots of time to acclimate them. Hope all goes well. Also picked up 10 trochus snails and 2 turbo stails as my clean up crew is not very good.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Well another update, I just plaved my order for 7 bubble tip anemones 3 rose and 4 green they are coming for a Saturday delivery so I have lots of time to acclimate them. Hope all goes well. Also picked up 10 trochus snails and 2 turbo stails as my clean up crew is not very good.
    nice. where did you get them from? I was just at the local LFS and this one in particular has some gorgeous corals. Super cheap prices too. I saw a huge RBTA for $29.99. I was like, "I would SO buy that...if my tank was set up" lol

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast