AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 34g rimless waterfall tank

Real Name
    Matt

Default Re: 34g rimless waterfall tank

I like it! Keep in mind you water won't be all the way up to the top edge, so you will already be getting at least an inch of rock out of the water below the glass. Just something to think about if you haven't already! I like the scape though.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

Ya I like the layout, and your right about the water line, I'll play with it when I get the real rock. The news paper worked pretty good to get a idea. I saw a guy on reef central do it he even mapped out his coral placemat with pictures stuck on the news paper. 24x24 is a tight space to scape with only 12" of hight. But it's coming out good so far.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Looks good to me. Did you plan on keeping coral you said? If so, they would need a good head height right?

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Matt

Not really Ricardo, well as long as they are wet. Heck a lot of reefs go dry for hours at low tide in nature, SPS just sitting out in the sun pretty incredible. Not sure what type of coral Devon is planning but should be able to just prune the colonies how you want it grown basically. In SPS at least there are ways to train it, to an extent. They will also be formed by their environment, unlike trying to do the same with fish, with coral it's not really harmful. In a small tank I have to keep my coral trimmed or else it goes where I don't want it or grows to large. I'm just getting to this point finally with my SPS. Another trim coming soon I feel like.

I think what you want to be more careful of is shading the bottom with corals up top. Which is why planning it out can be beneficial. You wouldn't want to put a plating acropora or monti cap up top because you have generally a good idea what their growth pattern will look like. Of course IMO this all goes down in a ball of flames once you start the frag frenzy. You keep wanting or acquiring more and more frags and your planning goes out the window, becomes a where is a free space deal then.

Actually time for a WC in my nano reef, wonder what I'll accidentally frag today.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-n00b View Post
    Not really Ricardo, well as long as they are wet. Heck a lot of reefs go dry for hours at low tide in nature, SPS just sitting out in the sun pretty incredible. Not sure what type of coral Devon is planning but should be able to just prune the colonies how you want it grown basically. In SPS at least there are ways to train it, to an extent. They will also be formed by their environment, unlike trying to do the same with fish, with coral it's not really harmful. In a small tank I have to keep my coral trimmed or else it goes where I don't want it or grows to large. I'm just getting to this point finally with my SPS. Another trim coming soon I feel like.

I think what you want to be more careful of is shading the bottom with corals up top. Which is why planning it out can be beneficial. You wouldn't want to put a plating acropora or monti cap up top because you have generally a good idea what their growth pattern will look like. Of course IMO this all goes down in a ball of flames once you start the frag frenzy. You keep wanting or acquiring more and more frags and your planning goes out the window, becomes a where is a free space deal then.

Actually time for a WC in my nano reef, wonder what I'll accidentally frag today.
    send it my way! lol. Not quite ready yet...

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Looks good to me. Did you plan on keeping coral you said? If so, they would need a good head height right?
    I plan on keeping lots of zoas, hammers, neon green nephthea tree corals, fancy mushrooms, ricordea mushrooms. and RBTA. But a lot could change between now and then I am also thinking of doing a clown fish harem tank.

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

Ill pay the shipping for any frags kicking around! =) All that is going in the tank when it is cycled is my hammer, and zoas. Corals in the LFS are to expensive ill have to wait for another frag farmers market.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Debow View Post
    I plan on keeping lots of zoas, hammers, neon green nephthea tree corals, fancy mushrooms, ricordea mushrooms. and RBTA. But a lot could change between now and then I am also thinking of doing a clown fish harem tank.
    Very cool. I will be getting a Bali Yellow Hammer from a local who has some really nice frags.

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Matt

I've mostly got sticks, if either of you ever want to step into that world down the road let me know and I'll see what I have at the time. Never shipped before but could be a good experiment or trial run at least.

I think stuff like hammers, ricordea, green leathers, rbta would be perfect for this tank. Gives it more of a tidepool shallow type of feel especially with exposed rock and possibly mangroves. I think you are on the right track! Clownfish harem would be really cool to see.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

I placed my order for the rock, gate valve, plumbing parts, and grabbed a 200g mix of reef crystals. BRS had 10% off tax day sale.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Damn, you guys are tempting me....
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Ricardo

You know you want to Pat!!!

Cafepress.com

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Yea, even have a tank I could use.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

Well the order came in yesterday and after hours of fitting and epoxying I was able to achieve a somewhat seamless structure out of 15 or so rocks.
    DRY ROCK 2.jpgDRY RODK 3.jpgDRY RODK.jpg

Real Name
    Ricardo

What kind of epoxy did you use?

Cafepress.com

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast