ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: evolving 180g

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

Default Re: evolving 180g

After fiddling with the tank some more things r coming along nicely. I decided to try a thin layer of pool filter sand and see how i liked it. I also pulled all the rest of the plants (byebye plants!! finally let them go!), removed a pair of BN plecos, random tetras i'd been holding onto, the smallest of the discus and the back-up api filstar canister filter (only running a single fx5 on the tank now).

I love vacuuming the sand and making new patterns on the floor of the tank, it is so meditative, so satisfying! and my kuhlii loaches r lovin it too.

simplifying the tank and getting rid of equipment clutter and misc items accumulated over years has been fun and has given me back cabinet space under the tanks

here's a blue night-light shot from my fav evening couch spot

Last edited by Kyla; 07-31-2016 at 09:53 PM.

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by Kyla View Post
    def less complicated

Ah evolution! Like this one the best.....it's great that you can change things along the way
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

.....Have you though of adding a very light layer of white washed sand? It would cover up those beams from your tank stand....Oh wait...l just re read your last thread an noticed that you have done that...sorry
    Last edited by two utes; 07-31-2016 at 11:42 PM.
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

After fiddling with the tank some more things r coming along nicely. I decided to try a thin layer of pool filter sand and see how i liked it. I also pulled all the rest of the plants (byebye plants!! finally let them go!), removed a pair of BN plecos, random tetras i'd been holding onto, the smallest of the discus and the back-up api filstar canister filter (only running a single fx5 on the tank now).

I love vacuuming the sand and making new patterns on the floor of the tank, it is so meditative, so satisfying! and my kuhlii loaches r lovin it too.

simplifying the tank and getting rid of equipment clutter and misc items accumulated over years has been fun and has given me back cabinet space under the tanks

here's a blue night-light shot from my fav evening couch spot

Very nice. My tank is a work in progress as well. I've slowly been simplifying it and have removed the majority of the plants.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

Quote Originally Posted by two utes View Post
    .....Have you though of adding a very light layer of white washed sand? It would cover up those beams from your tank stand....Oh wait...l just re read your last thread an noticed that you have done that...sorry
    yes, i just recently added a bit of pool filter sand and the bars are hidden now, which looks much better. i gotta take some more pics soon. i like how clean the BB is, which is why ive been holding off on adding sand. but i really enjoy vacuuming the bottom while i listen to audio books lol, so i am always in there with a siphon and hopefully the water quality isnt too negatively affected.
    Last edited by Kyla; 08-01-2016 at 12:09 AM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan925 View Post
    Very nice. My tank is a work in progress as well. I've slowly been simplifying it and have removed the majority of the plants.
    thanks! its been hard letting the plants go, but the tank is def cleaner without them, and there is more room for the fish now. i sometimes see beautiful planted tanks and i miss my plants but then i remember all the debris they collected and im glad for the simplicity. i just picked up some sweet spider wood today and i cant wait to swap that big log out and try these pieces out!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

excited to get this in the tank!

excited to get this in the tank!

Very nice. I also scrapped my big pieces of driftwood for some manzanita branches. The fish really seem to like the manzanita

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

yah im hoping they will like these pieces too! i used a dremmel to round off all the points so they r nice and smooth and swaped the spider wood into the tank. its still boyant so ive wedged it in under the glass canopy to waterlog it a bit before trying to decide on positioning. although i was planning to rest it on the floor of the tank, hubby wants me to have it hanging down into the tank like roots now that he has seen it in the upper tank regions. the discus were quite interested in it last night, mouthing it and checking it over. i love watching them explore new decor

yah im hoping they will like these pieces too! i used a dremmel to round off all the points so they r nice and smooth and swaped the spider wood into the tank. its still boyant so ive wedged it in under the glass canopy to waterlog it a bit before trying to decide on positioning. although i was planning to rest it on the floor of the tank, hubby wants me to have it hanging down into the tank like roots now that he has seen it in the upper tank regions. the discus were quite interested in it last night, mouthing it and checking it over. i love watching them explore new decor

Lookin forward to seeing the final layout

Looking good
    TFS

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

thanks! here's a pic of the new wood with the light on. its so bright!

thanks! here's a pic of the new wood with the light on. its so bright!

Looks very nice. Beautiful group of fish as well

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

contrast pic showing how much the discus tank has changed. stubborn but steady progression from a tank with deep, filthy substrate and plants to a thin layer of pool filter sand and spider wood.

contrast pic showing how much the discus tank has changed. stubborn but steady progression from a tank with deep, filthy substrate and plants to a thin layer of pool filter sand and spider wood.

Looks great that is the direction mine is taking

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast