AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: evolving 180g

Default Re: evolving 180g

I think the wood has too many smaller branches and its a little distracting to me. You could cut a few off. They are nice pieces but they need a trim.

I also liked the plants but did not like seeing the glass cups. I think it would look better if the glass was behind the wood and some rocks placed so you can't see the glass but still get the plants. If you are like me it won't stay the same for long anyway. Rearranging the decor keeps you interested in the hobby.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

yah they r super branchy. they were pointy too and i did end up taking some of the smallest branches and points off when i was dremelling it smooth but i think i was worried about trimming it too much. maybe next time i pull it out ill see if i can muster the courage to take a saw to it. its starting to get that thin slimy film on it. the plecos r doing a great job of clearing the slime but it will be a while until its gone i think. nothing endures but change, thats for sure. its starting to grow on me, looks kinda like a dali painting, a living art piece in the basement lol i miss the plants but i think im done with them now. ive got one huge jungle val left in the 210g which is taller than me, but that's it. ive tried to hide its glass pot behind the wood but at some angles u can still see it. it has black substrate in it, which is a pain cuz the clowns knock it out and mix it with the white sand so it always looks dirty. ill have to cap it or just dump and repot it eventually, and then change out the pfs for some clean stuff

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

the new spider wood that ive added to the tank is sliming up pretty good and the plecos are eating it fairly well. as far as i know the slime isnt harmful and will go away on its own eventually, eh? i think ive read about ppl bleaching the wood to prevent the slime but ive never tried this.

anyone know what species this pleco is? adopted him long ago but never figured out the species name, he is a good little cleaner. he doesnt seem to mind the discus temps and is active with fins up all the time, but for all i know he may like cooler temps...

Last edited by Kyla; 08-12-2016 at 09:52 AM.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

As far as I know that fungus is harmless. There must be a nutrient leaching out of new wood that encourages its growth. I throw oak branches and leaves in the tank sometimes, and it grows on the twigs. When I collect manzanita, I pick up pieces that are already dried out, and don't get much fungus on those.

Do you have a photo from front of the catfish?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

the fungus either cleared on its own or the plecos ate it all up. branches look nice but I havent had a chance to trim and place them in the tank properly yet. the discus love hanging out in the branches. very pleased with the new decor.

also finally got my water aging barrel going on a reg basis now. the pump was a but overkill but it works great and fills the tank SO much faster than the tap. still gotta insulate the barrell and find a better air pump to roil the water around more (the little one i have isnt cutting it) but at least now im ready for the city to start adding sodium chloride to our water supply in 2017.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

Quote Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
    Do you have a photo from front of the catfish?
    been too busy to take pics lately but next chance i get ill see if i can snap some at a different angle.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kyla View Post
    also finally got my water aging barrel going on a reg basis now. the pump was a but overkill but it works great and fills the tank SO much faster than the tap. still gotta insulate the barrell and find a better air pump to roil the water around more (the little one i have isnt cutting it) but at least now im ready for the city to start adding sodium chloride to our water supply in 2017.

Why don't you just plumb a loop back to your barrel from your water pump and use it to turn the water over.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

i dont know, its a really strong pump, i dont think id want to leave it running like that. it is a possibility tho, even just laying the end of the white hose back into the barrel. my friend has a diaphram pump she really likes, i might try one of those. i envision turning on the heater and the air pump when i go to bed and having water prepped for the next day

Real Name
    Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by Kyla View Post

anyone know what species this pleco is?
    You got yourself a nice Whiptail catfish. They are adapted well in Discus aquariums because they come from the same region. Good algae eater.

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Real Name
    Jacklyn

the fungus or biofilm as I call it, is a really good food source for your beautiful pleco there. he is a beaut and looks to be doing fine in the discus temps.
    ~JACKLYN~

Quote Originally Posted by Altum Nut View Post
    You got yourself a nice Whiptail catfish. They are adapted well in Discus aquariums because they come from the same region. Good algae eater.

...Ralph
    Does look like a whiptail. Had a red whiptail. Loved that fish. They can be fun to watch swim from area to area to feed

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

thanks everyone! the whiptail is a super cool little dude, and he sure keeps busy on the logs

so i went to do a wc today and the wc barrel was HOT when i opened the lid. looks like my brand new marineland visi therm submersible heater stuck in the ON position all day! been fishkeeping for 25 years and ive heard many horror stories of heater malfunctions boiling entire tanks of fish, but never had it happen to me before. thank goodness it was just the wc barrel. my fear of this happening is exactly why i switched to heaters with controllers in my aquariums - for peace of mind. marineland has been amazing re: customer service for previous equipment malfunctions so fingers crossed they replace it.

Kyla buy an inkbird. Super cheap and very reliable. You can either set it to desired temp and allow it to power your heater off and on or like I use it is set it to a Max you would want in your tank and let it kill your heater if it ever gets that high.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

wow are they ever cheap! thats exactly what i needed here. im def gonna pick one up.

heck i could even keep using this heater of doom with one of those lol but dont worry i wont cuz im scared it will explode since it also looks like there is some water inside of this heater

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast