ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tall Drink Of Water - 175 Gallons Worth

Registered Member

Default Re: Tall Drink Of Water - 175 Gallons Worth

So it seems everyone has settled in nicely. I have already done a couple of water changes, had a little algae growing off of the tallest branch in the middle towards the top. Tank seems to have never skipped a beat...if it cycled at all it was minimal. Parameters check out as they should...now onto the fun part

STOCKING NEW FISH ��

So I have been looking/researching on who to purchased my remaining discus from. Listed are the couple I had in mind: Chicago discus; Kenny's discus; Discus Hans USA. Any recommendations or suggestions????

Also, I have read and heard where people recommend that you only source discus from one place to put in the display...any truth to this? I don't have a problem purchasing from same source if this stands true, but still could alter my final decision ever so slightly.

Thanks in advance....

Registered Member

Tank shot of last night....

image.jpg

Real Name
    Zach

Lbest to get them all from one source, lower chance of different bacteria and what not. Be sure to quarantine.
    Last edited by zchauvin; 04-21-2016 at 04:24 PM.
    -Zach

Registered Member

Currently I have 2 discus, 4 black skirt Tetras, 4 neon Tetras, 20 cardinal Tetras, one Cory cat , 2 farlowella cats and a Spotted Orange Seam pleco

Real Name
    Phil

Tank looks awesome for starters... How many discus are you looking to stock in there??

Only issue I have or would see is the footprint of that tank.. While gallon wise it is huge, the footprint and/or shape render some of that gallonage sort of useless, at least IMO...

I would just keep this in mind as you stock the tank, your tank is a classic example of where the one fish per 10 gallon rule doesn't and can't really apply due to your style of tank...

As far as your question of sources... I mean you listed almost every great sponsor here... So you can't go wrong, really depends on what you want and your budget, then finding who can provide you the strains that you are looking for...

What are you thinking of going with as far as stocking... That is a very bio-topey and natural look... ever think of going wild discus or some domestic strains with more of a wild side?

Real Name
    Phil

Oh you have inhabitants in that tank already or they are in another tank?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    Oh you have inhabitants in that tank already or they are in another tank?
    Those fish are currently in the display. Ultimately I will take out the neon and black skirt Tetras....they will be put into a smaller tank once new discus are quarantined. This wil leave discus, Cardinal tetras, Cory cat (will be adding 2 more), farlowellas and orange seam pleco.

Registered Member

As far as stocking levels I had in my mind a plan to stock 8 to 10 total discus of various strains. I understand the 1 gallon per inch of fish rule does not apply, but feel comfortable with said number. Once the additional discus are added this will be it for the display as far as additions.

I do like the overall look of the tank, it does feel bio-topy. The only change to Aquascape is I will be removing the large gray rock holding down the piece of wood on the left-hand side of the tank as it continues to want to float.

I do have hesitations about wild discus, I have heard they are harder to care for than imported tank raised.....any truth to this???? At the same time being in the fish hobby for this long I've always been more comfortable sourcing fish that are tank raised versus wild caught.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12