ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello Hello From OH-IO!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jack

Red face Hello Hello From OH-IO!

Hi DISCUS PEOPLEEE,

My name is Jack, I'm 23 and obviously from Ohio, Mason to be exact.

I'm just starting out with this whole new Discus hobby!
    I've kept a bunch of other tropical fish for quite a while before but never Discus because I was a broke college student.
    BUT now I have a job and am making some money, I can finally dabble in the art of discus :P

I actually just bought 10 stendker fry (fire reds- not here yet) from a breeder so they should be pretty cool. xD and made a beef heart mix for food.
    So overall I have been reading a lot on how to keep discus from you guys and everywhere else, so I have a pretty good grasp, but any help/recommendations would be appreciated as I go along and get trapped deeper and deeper in this hobby, or more broke, whichever comes first haha...

Oh and I'm also starting into planted tanks and playing around with co2 tanks and building my own regulator and so forth. Kinda just blew out my burkert 6011 solenoid today so I'm wondering how exactly they are supposed to be wired and so forth. I did buy two because I thought my brother-in-law wanted one, so I can try again xD

Well, this was a very long introduction and I guess a summary of what I'm currently working on.

Hope you guys enjoyed a newbie starting out and am looking forward to learning more from you guys!

Best Regards,

Jack

p.s. - this was way too formal ...

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Hello Hello From OH-IO!

Hi Jack and welcome the Simply . My first recommendation is to do more research. Al, the forum owner did a talk on discus keeping at this years ACA show and it was video taped. It is well worth the hour.

Also check out this guide http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ed-with-Discus and the stickies in the beginner section.

I suggest you focus on raising juvies since that is what you intend to do. Please do not raise them in a planted tank. The needs of a planted tank and raising juvies are totally opposite. Raising juvies is not hard but is a labor of love. They do best in a bare bottom tank with large daily water changes and several feeding a day. Discus are not like other aquarium fish but they are well worth the effect.

Keeping discus and planted tanks are two separate skill sets which are best learned separately and later merged together once a person is knowledgeable and comfortable with both. Enjoy the journey and we are here to help.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

Welcome to the forum. Can't tell you crap about solenoids unfortunately, but someone here can likely help.
    President - North American Discus Association

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gary Brehm

Hello there Jack. Grove City Ohio here.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jack

-Haha thanks pat, I did watch that video twice before xD I follow joey quite a bit. and I read the guide from paul also So I've done quite a bit of research already, but will continue to do so
    But yeah, the planted tank is separate from the discus haha. Just separate projects I'm working on and thought I'd throw it out there to see if I could get any help.
    I think I'm gonna to record this process for my own learning experience and maybe for others.

-Thanks Keith! and no problem

-Hey Gary! That's only about an hour away Maybe, if you wanted to, could show me the ropes or check out your set up haha I'm open to anything.

And thanks for the welcome guys! Glad to be here.

Real Name
    Naz

Hi and welcome to SimplyDiscus Jack.
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Real Name
    Zach

Welcome to SD, there is a wealth of knowledge here. I'm sure it was already stated, but with the juvies it's two simple things that decide wether or not your fish end up nice and round or the opposite. Food and water changes. I've been gone a while and only pop my head in once and a while but if memory serves, feed BH 4-6 times a day and other high nutrient foods. Just feed often and couple with 60+% water changes daily. Barebottom is the way to go. Make sure to aerate and dechlorinate your tap water as well as heat the day before you do water change.

As for your planted tank, I have always much preferred the ADA line of soils and fertilizers. Co2 should start around 2-3 bps and your going to need to start dosing shortly after your tank is setup. If nothing else, I would highly suggest ADA aquasoil over any other because of its ph effects, and it will release nutrients including ammonia into your water column for the first few weeks helping to jump start plant growth as well as your nitrogen cycle.
    Last edited by zchauvin; 04-03-2016 at 09:46 PM.
    -Zach

Ohio gosai Masu, yoroshku !

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jack

Okay so I have a question,

I've seen a lot of people doing a lot of different methods for WCs for juvi's
    Some say 50-100%, some say 100-200%
    What would be the preferred method?
    Because changing less than 100% means that they will have some of their original quality water to be in.
    While more than 100% means that basically they are swimming in a new tank of water.
    I do have a 32 gallon water storage container which I will be aging water (w/ airstone and heater). Basically using it and filling it up everyday.
    Suggestions?

Also, the use of Methylene blue (treat fungal infections) and Potassium Permanganate (to remove parasites)
    Is that necessary? or safe to have some on hand? and if so, in what forms? and maybe links to what people have used?

Thanks

Registered Member

Hi Jack. I'm in the Eastgate area of Cinci, so if you have a question or two, I would be happy to help. I'm no expert like some here, but I have successfully raised a number of discus fry to adulthood and have experienced many of the challenges and diseases associated with growing out discus. I've never used Methylene blue (although I have some on hand) nor potassium permanganate (although many people on SD do use it). I do have praziquantel, metronidazole, tetracycline, and epsom salts on hand as well. I also have some formaldehyde but have never used it. For growing out my discus, I do 80% water changes daily. I use a 50 gallon container and mix a predetermined ratio of hot and cold water to give the right temperature immediately prior to adding to the aquarium. I add Safe right before addition to the tank as well. I find that I don't need to age my water. I have Clermont county water, but I wouldn't think that the water from Mason would be much different. You might investigate that. The advantage to not having to age water is that you can change water more than once a day if necessary or if some emergency situation arises and you need to change water quickly (say something falls into the aquarium). Anyway, welcome to SD and to the fascinating hobby of discus keeping. By the way, I also have fire reds that I purchased from Don in Virginia as 50 cent sized fry. They are now about 6+ inches and are beautiful. You will love them I'm sure. One more thing, I agree with Pat...please don't grow out your discus in a planted tank. You'll have nothing but regrets. All the best!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jack

hey dudly,
    so have you had to use any of your meds/chemicals? or not really

ALSO,

I tested my water and here are the findings
    Straight tap
    ph - 8-8.2 (API), calibrated ph meter to (8.2)
    ammonia - 0-0.25ppm
    nitrite - 0ppm
    nitrate - 0ppm
    hardness - 147ppm
    temperature - 57degreesC

After aerating it for 24 hrs and heating it to 82degreesC
    ph - 7.4-7.8(API), 7.5(phmeter)
    hardness - 220ppm

So with the aeration and heating of tap,
    there was an increase of 73ppm of hardness to 220ppm. and a decrease of .7ph to 7.5.
    This is interesting because why did the hardness go up? normally hardness and ph are directly proportional??

Also, would you guys recommend peat moss to soften water and lower ph? If I were to use a fixed amount in nylon socks and was put in the water storage bin? I know the ph and hardness of the day aged water is plenty good for keeping the discus that I will have. But I've read a lot that having optimal conditions will make their discus "feel a lot happier." I did get some 100% peat moss and will do some tests also, but I want to hear what you guys have to say about it.

So to be optimal, I would have to let it age at least a day I believe.

I'm going to do more tests in regards to using not straight cold water but a mixture of hot and cold, which will save a bit on the electricity bill but will be harder to control?? (I don't have fine adjustment knobs for the faucet.) Maybe by how many turns of the knob?

Registered Member

Jack, I'm not sure why your hardness is going up as the pH goes down. I don't measure hardness but total dissolved solids using a meter. My TDS is about 240 ppm. I would recommend using the TDS meter rather than a hardness test kit, which can be a bit tricky to use at times, especially if you have very hard water. They also come with a built-in thermometer so you have another method for determining temperature that is reasonably quick and accurate. The pH of my water (using a pH meter) is 8.2 from the tap and 8.1 to 8.2 in the tank. It looks like you may need to age your water, however it would be worth double-checking your pH again before and after aging. I would not bother trying to modify your pH. It is better to have a stable pH value, so just use the water as is. Growing discus do well in hard water and hard water typically comes with a high pH value. I don't try to get the right temperature by adjusting the hot and cold taps. As you wrote, the control is not very fine or accurate. I have marks on a 50 gallon reservoir. I fill cold water up to the first mark and then fill to the top with hot water using a drinking-water safe hose. You can purchase an adapter from a hardware store that will screw into your sink faucet and attach to the hose end. I determined the ratio of hot to cold in the reservoir by experimentation. The temperature can vary a few degrees without stressing the discus, so it isn't critical to try to match the tank temperature exactly.

Real Name
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Woodyg View Post
    Hello there Jack. Grove City Ohio here.
    Hey Woodyg,

I am also from as well, I live by the ASK Motorsports dealer.
    Good morning, and in case I don't see ya, good afternoon, good evening, and good night!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jack

Dudley,

I am using a TDS meter. So I experimented a bit more and for some reason, temperature has an effect on the hardness. So I shut off my heater and the temp dropped down to around 60*C and the hardness went to 169 from 220. Haven't had time to experiment with peat yet so I won't use it until I know more about it.

I do already have a hose and adapter which goes into my faucet. And that method that you use is a great idea haha. Why didn't I think of that? Do you know about what percent hot and cold water you use in relation to your bin? So I don't have to experiment as much

oh and "woodyg and GivensOSU" I'm most likely gonna be going back up to columbus fall of 2017 for dental school at OSU. and I do visit OSU once in a while so if you guys want to meet up and chill that'd be cool

I really want to see someone's set up haha

Registered Member

The ratio that I use is somewhere between 60:40 and 70:30 cold:hot. A lot will depend on how hot the water is. I don't know the chemical principal behind hardness test kits, but I suspect that the kit itself may be sensitive to temperature. Send me a PM if you would like to see my fish room. It is pretty crude, but works for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast