AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Setting up new qt tank

Registered Member

Default Setting up new qt tank

I am setting up a new qt tank. I already have my sponge filter seeding off the main tank and it will be used in about 2 weeks. Can someone tell me what good products are too use on my incoming fish to be safe? This is what I have in mind. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Fenbendazole
    Prazipro
    Cupramine

Real Name
    Naz

Default Re: Setting up new qt tank

For a quarantine tank with filter seeded off the main tank is not a good idea as it leaves a greater chance of cross contamination. Follow one of the SimplyDiscus Sponsor`s method, one can not go wrong http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...Kenny-s-Discus
    As for your medication list add Metronidazole to it
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Registered Member

Yeah I am going with a fish less cycle sponge instead, so the metronidazole is the only medication I need for new fish? No deworming??

Real Name
    Naz

Quote Originally Posted by kiwdahc View Post
    Yeah I am going with a fish less cycle sponge instead, so the metronidazole is the only medication I need for new fish? No deworming??
    Praziquantel and metronidazole If you are getting all the new fish at the same time follow this guide
    http://www.simplydiscus.com/library/...ocedures.shtml
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Registered Member

I have heard not to treat for bacteria / protozoan without seeing evidence for the need to treat. What is your thoughts on this? This would leave me with something like this:
    AQ Salt
    PraziPro
    Levamisole