ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Feeling in the parenting way

Real Name
    Jim

Question Feeling in the parenting way

The past few days the BDs, which I believe are a pair, have taken to guarding the cube of FDBWs farthest to the left of the tank as though it was a spawn of eggs They won't eat it (they'll eat from other cubes) and they won't allow any of the other fish to get even close to it - one tries and all hell breaks loose lol Have their love nest ready but working the next two nights so targetting Wednesday for the move. Hopefully they'll spawn some real eggs and give me some grand children I'll probably have to feed them frozen bloodworms so they don't stay attached to their cube of FDBWs hahahaha

dark pic cause the hood is off for maintenance and the lighting kind of sucks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ... Born under a Bad Sign ...

Real Name
    Naz

Default Re: Feeling in the parenting way

That's strange !
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Real Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Akili View Post
    That's strange !
    Very, but they protect it like it's their wigglers. In the morning I'll have to reach in and remove it off the wall of the tank, then start the cycle over again when I feed them

Real Name
    Jim

and now my Mandarin Passion and Albino Yellow Butterfly are spawning on one of the cones in the tank ... a huge spawn.. think I'll move them out into a breeder in the next few days and see what develops ..

Real Name
    Naz

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
    and now my Mandarin Passion and Albino Yellow Butterfly are spawning on one of the cones in the tank ... a huge spawn.. think I'll move them out into a breeder in the next few days and see what develops ..
    Congrat and Good Luck. I like to see Mandarin Passion and Albino Yellow Butterfly combination.
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Real Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Akili View Post
    Congrat and Good Luck. I like to see Mandarin Passion and Albino Yellow Butterfly combination.
    I'm almost afraid to go upstairs and see what else is going on in the tank lol

Real Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post

Either the AYB was just going through the motions or he was shooting blanks, eggs are not fertilized

Registered Member

any updates?

Real Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by chuckiesmalls View Post
    any updates?
    Well, yeah ... lol 1 egg was fertized by the AYB, which makes me think if I move them into a breeder they'll do better without all the current and interference. I had to move the BDs into a breeder today because they had claimed about 2/3rds of the tank to themselves and were patrolling all the cubes of FDBWs At first they were a little stressed, but after I stuck a cube of FDBW wigglers on the glass they calmed down Working on more breeder tanks to move some of the others soon.... too much work argh! lol
    Last edited by Cosmo; 04-15-2016 at 10:39 PM.

Your BDs have a screw loose.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Your BDs have a screw loose.
    LOL, there's no doubt about that lol Miranda calls them the Blue Demons because of the way they pushed the other fish around and patrolled (and protected) the FDBW wiggler cubes Once I put a cube in their new home they settled in rather quickly - wouldn't eat it but made them feel better - go figure. So I guess I can only feed them frozen blood worms and/or beefheart and see if they'll produce some real wigglers for me. They have been inseprable for the longest time so I'm thinking they have to be a pair... we'll see. The rest of the fish are happy now that they can roam around the entire tank instead of being herded into one corner