ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what strains of discus look best in a large discus aquarium

Default Re: what strains of discus look best in a large discus aquarium

I have a mixed bag and I always wonder if it would look better if I was to separate the blue strains and the red strains. I like them together but if I had another tank I would separate them.
    I would never keep one strain. To me its boring and too sterile.

Quote Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
    I really agree with single strain discus being the most desirable to keep - and that makes the best first impression.

Even though this little experiment for me was simply (not greatly attractive) Red Snake Skins, and only 3" juvies at that, it convinced me that single strain species was the way to go with discus - whether domestic or wild. It just grew on me, and I haven't changed my mind.
    But as has been mentioned, I think some type of Reds make the most dramatic show of beautiful discus of the same color/pattern !

Paul's tanks are beautiful. I have a rainbow of 7 different strains in my group. My next tank will sure be a single strain or half and half.

My idea is half blues (bd, neon sapphire or cobalt) and half white (snow white or white butterfly)

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

I really agree with single strain discus being the most desirable to keep - and that makes the best first impression.

Even though this little experiment for me was simply (not greatly attractive) Red Snake Skins, and only 3" juvies at that, it convinced me that single strain species was the way to go with discus - whether domestic or wild. It just grew on me, and I haven't changed my mind.
    But as has been mentioned, I think some type of Reds make the most dramatic show of beautiful discus of the same color/pattern !

Single strain all the way for me....and this is the reason. Simply beautiful. Nice work Paul
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Many of you will have seen this photo before - but I'm posting it again to show another single strain that is somewhat more colorful than the red snake skins I posted earlier. I don't think they're boring, and hope you don't either.
    They're juvie Royal Ruby Reds.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dhaval

Ha, paul are you confessing to the crime of growing juvies in planted tank??

Many of you will have seen this photo before - but I'm posting it again to show another single strain that is somewhat more colorful than the red snake skins I posted earlier. I don't think they're boring, and hope you don't either.

Why yes, in fact I've done it many times, with varying degrees of success, and some not so successful, the latter particularly in my early discus-keeping days.

But I will dare say it can be done well, but admittedly not without a lot of work.

Depending on the size of the juvies (those above were approx. 3.5"), I'd religiously do 75% daily water changes, lightly plant the tanks and allow sufficient space around and behind all plantings to facilitate thorough daily vacuuming, and a rigorous tank cleansing routine with each wc, coupled with the 24/7 use of UV sterilization & Seachem Purigen, and frequently rinsed pre-filters on intakes from HOB filters only (no canister filtration).

If it means anything, I believe one can tell from the above photos that I purposefully maintained a squeaky clean environment in my planted juvie discus tanks.

IMHO, the measures above, with the water changes, is the only way to raise juvie discus in a planted environment without experiencing stunting, and under-average/mediocre developed growth to adulthood.
    I can honestly say that there were many days (while retired of course) that I would put in 2-3 hours daily to maintain the cleanest environment that I could manage.
    So I bear no shame in raising juvies in a planted environment.

P.S. Having said all the forgoing, I will hasten to add that I have always recommended that any newcomers to discus-keeping (translation: inexperienced) grow out young discus in nothing but a bare-bottom tank.

Even experienced discus-keepers should not do otherwise unless they also have some experience with planted tanks.
    Last edited by discuspaul; 08-09-2016 at 06:16 PM.

Beautiful pic Paul, specially with the cardinals stealing the background show.

Hope u must be very busy maintaining/managing this tank

Personally, "near" single strain with a few accent pieces
    -Elliot

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12