AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Flow in planted tank

Real Name
    Casper

Default Flow in planted tank

I have a quick question about flow.
    Generally Discus doesn't like much flow in the tank, however in a planted tank flow is necessary to distribute the nutritients.

How do you guys add enough flow to your plants, but still keep your discus happy?

Currently my discus seems to avoid the open area, which I'm pretty sure is because of the flow. I have 2 canister filters and only using spraybars.

Registered Member nofearengineer's Avatar

Default Re: Flow in planted tank

Powerheads...Koralia Nanos are nice for surgical precision flow.
    People say planted discus tanks are unnatural. I wish I could figure out why the Amazon is so muddy...with that bare glass bottom it has.

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

Hydor pico, never used one but looks pretty small. I think they have a flow of 180gpm
    NANO.jpg

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

i used to think the discus would prefer low flow but i recently upgraded to an fx5 which really pushes the water around and my guys seem to love it... still have lots of quiet areas tho as it is a 180g.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by kilnakorr View Post
    I have a quick question about flow.
    Generally Discus doesn't like much flow in the tank, however in a planted tank flow is necessary to distribute the nutritients.

How do you guys add enough flow to your plants, but still keep your discus happy?

Currently my discus seems to avoid the open area, which I'm pretty sure is because of the flow. I have 2 canister filters and only using spraybars.
    If you give discus a place to hide, they usually will. Give them time to adjust but in a fully planted tank, they will spend most of their time hiding than swimming out in the open.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

do u have pics? are ur lights adjustable? u could try lowering the output (as long as it is still sufficient for the plants). u could try adding some floating plants for cover too.

I use ViV outflow, the design makes it perfect for isolated strong flow. The water is pushed upwards then spread out, instead of direct flow. My Discus love it. The only problem I have is that it can be tricky to clean the inside tube.

Picture:
    Glass-pipe100-1211-W.jpg

Registered Member

I have a API XP-L which says it is rated at 350gph. I don't think it is actually that much. but I also got another submersible filter pump. I put a sponge filter and a few bio balls in it. I figure if I am going to have a pump push water around and create some surface agitation, I might as well have it also filter the water as well. just a thought.

Real Name
    Casper

Thanks for all the ideas guys.
    @Debow. I have been thinking of adding af hydor or 2 since there are cheap and have adjustable flow.
    @Ricardo. I had a VERY heavy planted tank and also som big roots in the back. None of the discus where hiding. From my very short time of having discus I haven't seen discus hiding just because it was possible. When they did hide, It was because of other issues, like water quality etc.

I turned of the second canister filter last night, and today the discus are out in the open again. I guess I'll have to play around with the flow some. Might just switch the filter material with somthing that will catch the really fine particles and also reduce the flow.