AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Methylene (sp?) Blue

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jeff Kratzwald

Default Methylene (sp?) Blue

Is this the official name for regular ich medicine found at any LFS or is it something completely different?

Real Name
    Naz

Default Re: Methylene (sp?) Blue

Quote Originally Posted by jkratzwald View Post
    Is this the official name for regular ich medicine found at any LFS or is it something completely different?
    It can used as Ich medications, I use it to prevent Egg Fungus .Complete information here............http://freshaquarium.about.com/od/Fi...ylene-Blue.htm
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jeff Kratzwald

Quote Originally Posted by Akili View Post
    It can used as Ich medications, I use it to prevent Egg Fungus .Complete information here............http://freshaquarium.about.com/od/Fi...ylene-Blue.htm
    I intend to use it to prevent egg fungus as well. Female should be laying within the next week or so. When do you put it in? Before she spawns, as she's spawning?

The way I have done it is to pull the cone of fertilized eggs and dribble it over them.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Naz

I intend to use it to prevent egg fungus as well. Female should be laying within the next week or so. When do you put it in? Before she spawns, as she's spawning?
    I add to the tank when they finish spawning if I am there,if not as soon as I see the eggs.
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Bill

Do you notice a significant difference in fungus using the Meth Blue Liz?

It helped back when I had a problem. Heck, it can't hurt to try it ans see.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jeff Kratzwald

I don't use a cone. My tanks are drilled and have stand pipes. They always spawn on the stand pipe. If she follows schedule, she should spawn again by mid week. I have the meth blue ready to go. Wish me luck. LOL

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

There was an article published in the last year or two that stated that if MB was present in sufficient quantity at time of free swimming it caused belly sliders. I know for a fact it's not a problem if you do the large daily WCs you should be doing anyway between its use and free swimming, but just putting it out there for anyone who might not be very diligent about their WCs.
    President - North American Discus Association

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jeff Kratzwald

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Perkins View Post
    There was an article published in the last year or two that stated that if MB was present in sufficient quantity at time of free swimming it caused belly sliders. I know for a fact it's not a problem if you do the large daily WCs you should be doing anyway between its use and free swimming, but just putting it out there for anyone who might not be very diligent about their WCs.
    Interesting. The brand that I bought (Kordon) says to keep treatment active until 3 days past free swimming on egg layers. So you say this will/could cause trouble if the free swimmers are exposed for that long?

Real Name
    Naz

Interesting. The brand that I bought (Kordon) says to keep treatment active until 3 days past free swimming on egg layers. So you say this will/could cause trouble if the free swimmers are exposed for that long?
    I use the same product.If you put in on the day the eggs are laid and do your water changes daily by the time of free swimming there is not much of Methylene Blue left.From egg to free swimming it is nearly 6 days.
    Quote from Colin Powell

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jeff Kratzwald

Quote Originally Posted by Akili View Post
    I use the same product.If you put in on the day the eggs are laid and do your water changes daily by the time of free swimming there is not much of Methylene Blue left.From egg to free swimming it is nearly 6 days.
    How much of a water change do you do per day?

Real Name
    Naz

How much of a water change do you do per day?
    With my last batch of eggs I changed 30% to 40 % for the first five days after the eggs are laid, after that 50 % daily and when I started feeding baby brine shrimp then it was 100% every day.
    Quote from Colin Powell

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jeff Kratzwald

Right on cue, they spawned last night. I put the meth blue in right after they were done. Here's hoping it all goes to plan!!