AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to discus

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Chloe

Default New to discus

Hello Discus lovers,
    I am new to this forum and also am new to discus, although I've had my tank for 4 years. This is a new adventure and I'm really thrilled with the 4 I've just purchased (2 weeks) from Wattley Discus. Even though my pH was higher than they are used to, they seem to be really adapting very well and eating frozen blood worms, brine shrimp and beef heart, with garlic guard, all except one. He/she looks fine but I never see him/her eat and that worries me. I know they are brought up on live black worms, but I really don't want to go there so I am looking for somewhere I could purchase frozen ones. Could anyone direct me? I know there is a place in CA but they only seem to sell HUGE quantities.I'd be very grateful, thanks.

Real Name
    Naz

Default Re: New to discus

Most us here feed Freeze Dried Australian Black worms and they can purchased from the owner of this site Al http://www.aquaticsuppliers.com/
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Also ph really does not matter very much. The fish will do better in groups of 6 or more. They are cichlids and will establish a pecking order. The fish on bottom will often act that way because it gets picked on. It is natures way and is completely normal. Having more fish helps to spread the aggression out.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Real Name
    Jacklyn

+1 for Als FDBW (freeze dried black worms) its what most of us use and have good success with.
    ~JACKLYN~

Real Name
    Phil

Care to share more info about your tank? Size filtration tank mates, how long running etc?

I agree with John, adding a few more would def. help the cause if you have the room, that being said, you should QT any new fish that go in there....

Silver Member

+1 for Als FDBW, get it with the baby spinach.. mine attack the cube like they never ate before.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Chloe

Thank you all, I've been to Al's but they only sell HUGE quantities for $150.00. I've tried the freeze dried kind but it stays on the top. Is there any good way to feed with that? I will share more about my tank soon. 55g planted. Eventually I will get more, but have spent a fortune on these 4 already so will have to wait a while.

Real Name
    Phil

He sells less than that, you must be in the wrong section or not choosing the sizes right... Also he sells cubes so you smash them on the glass and they stay...

For my wilds I break the cubes all up and let them sit in a cup of tank water for a few min w some blood worms... I mix them a bit w a spoon and pour them in and they go all about the water...

55g - Planted and new to discus is a recipe for disaster... not trying to discourage you, but you should really get your pics posted and all info and let us set a plan for you, or you might be in for a fast loss of all that hard earned and spent cash

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Chloe

OK Phillydubs, here are 2 pics (hope it works) It's been 3 weeks...Discus 1.JPGDiscus 2.JPG

Real Name
    Jacklyn

al sells his fdbw in as small as 10 gram packs I think. you must not be on the correct site, go here http://www.aquaticsuppliers.com/Free...riginal_c6.htm the second option is 10grams.
    ~JACKLYN~

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Chloe

Pics are there!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Chris

use al's it is like crack for discus. If you are having problem with the website email or even call him he will get right back to you.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Chloe

Many thanks I have ordered the FDBW's from Al's, also watched a very informative presentation he gave on discus online. I'm going to start trimming plants and substrate too little by little. It's hot for them anyway. 3 weeks, so far, so good.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Chloe

55g - Planted and new to discus is a recipe for disaster... not trying to discourage you, but you should really get your pics posted and all info and let us set a plan for you, or you might be in for a fast loss of all that hard earned and spent cash[/QUOTE]

Phillydubs, I posted my pics...

Registered Member

I am relatively new to discus and I think Al touched on it in his presentation the other members like to link on this forum but.....If you want to grow those discus out and have them get big--your best bet is to take a no plants, no substrate approach with frequent water changes ( 40% every other day about--AT LEAST)

If you do not mind them growing slower and it is not your intention to have the biggest most huge discus and you enjoy the look of your planted tank as it currently is....just stay on the goal and keep up a decent amount of WCs (3Xs a week min. @ 33% --around there Id say for the minimum?)

I'd say the majority of people on this site go for the growing out and wanting huge fish

My advice is get one or two more so they will be more happy per other comments above. don't get super expensive fish yet but ones you really like..experiment, be patient, have fun, practice different décor, setups. Youll probably buy some more fish tanks or at least a QT tank if you don't already and will soon become very very addicted like all of us. LOL

ALSO always keep a QT! LOL --I use a bucket, heater and a sponge filter--It aint the ritz but it works...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast