AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: UAS in Discus tank

Registered Member

Default UAS in Discus tank

Hi Folks,
    My current setup is a 110 Gallon, 2 inch small gravel / sand mixed substrate - 4 Large Angels, 6 Discus - 5+ inches, 6 Cardinal , 5 Rummy nose, 6 Sterbai Cory, 2 Electric Blue Acara (Pair), 2 Amazon plants, 1 Anubia, and couple of Vals. Add tons of MTS and 3 Assasin snails to this. Couple of Drift woods, and flat slates

The tank has 2 Eheim Filters, 1 Sponge Filter.

The fishes are fine apart from the occasional aggression.

Water changes - 40% done day1, no wc, 40% on day 3 etc - with light vacuum

Typical water parameter before wc - 0 Ammonia, Nitrites, ~20 Nitrates.

Had to go out for a week - during which the tank was fed once a day only - usually I feed them 2 times on no wc days and 3 times on wc days.
    Coming back the parameter was 0 - Ammonia, 0 -Nitrites and 60+ Nitrates.

Of course, this got me thinking of ways to reduce nitrates and I have setup a Uplift Algae scrubber with a 110 Rated tetra whisper and the roughed up plastic canvas. They have 2 small CFL pointing at it from the outside for the night.

Just set this up yesterday. Will keep the group updated on how it goes.

Will put up some pics later.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: UAS in Discus tank

60ppm of Nitrates? I'm surprised they didn't become sick. Those are really sky high numbers for discus. We all tend to want to keep the nitrates to less than 10 for sure and closer to 5 if possible. This is only achieved via more frequent water changes. Consider upping the water changes if you would like to reduce your nitrates.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Naz

Increase the percentage of your water changes and go with daily water changes,like Ricardo mentioned keep your nitrate level below 5 ppm.
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Real Name
    Phil

Next time you go away do not feed at all!
    Big WC before you go and that's it...

What are your nitrates regularly ?

Registered Member

Thanks for the reply guys.
    Like I mentioned, the 60 ppm was with almost ~ 6 days of no wc and one feeding of tetrabits only per day.

I try to do daily wc, but to be honest, most of the time, i end up with doing it every other day.
    I thought <20 Nitrates was ok for them.

The UAS setup is an attempt to eliminate these nitrates as well, so there is no nitrate spike ups. I have read in some places where they managed to reduce it to <5, so lets see

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    Next time you go away do not feed at all!
    Big WC before you go and that's it...

What are your nitrates regularly ?
    I was just worried the discus will eat the remaining tetras as well. I started with 20 of them cardinals 4 years ago and now only 6 left...

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Akili View Post
    Increase the percentage of your water changes and go with daily water changes,like Ricardo mentioned keep your nitrate level below 5 ppm.
    some people hyping the UAS mentioned it it brings it down to undetectable amounts. I will be finding out soon.

Registered Member

Update time.

Well, I tried skipping a wc (so that is 4 days without change - compared to my usual once in every 2 days routine) The test was done right before the wc on 4th day evening - showing a nitrate level between 20 - 40 in the API test kit. (this, compared to my previous nitrate level of ~60.

I am not entirely sure if the UAS needs more time to establish - but all that happened was due to my DIY design, lost a couple of inquisitive rummy nose caught between the meshes.

I believe the nitrates were brought down more because i took off the cover on one half and added a couple of water hyacinth - which already have ~4 small plantlets.

Anyway, will keep the UAS running for another month.20160427_152355.jpg

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Koji

I use a nitrate reactor full of seachems de-nitrate for denitrification. Seems like a simpler approach than a scrubber. It's the same principle that refers use to keep nitrates to near zero with minimal wcs.

Registered Member

Update:
    Well, I decided enough was enough, moved all non discus large fishes to a different tank along with the gravel, leaving this tank only with discus, Rummy nose and tetras.

Daily wc's is probably the easiest way to low nitrates and that is what I hope to do

Registered Member

IMO, Canisters filters are not the best option for discus (at Least without a pre-filter). They accumulate detritus over time that usually go unnoticed because the tank looks clean with each water changes (same with gravel). Make sure to clean your filter media once or two times for week.

Best,

Registered Member

Hmm.. yeah that makes sense too. Will add sponge pre filters to the canister inlets..

Registered Member Luke in Phoenix's Avatar
    Real Name
    Luke

I run an algae scrubber in my discus tank and my nitrates are always 0-5 ppm with heavy feeding and limited WC. It can easily be done if setup properly. I run mine in a sump though so it's a little easier and out of the display tank.