AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Does your Discus like floating or sinking food?

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Anthony

Default Does your Discus like floating or sinking food?

Some of my discus seems to be hesitate to eat the food when they are floating around. They will stare at it for a moment and then just walk away. Sometimes, they will try to eat it but miss like 9 out of 10 times. Most of the time, they will just wait until they sink a little bit. However, if they food sink all the way down to the bottom, they will give up too. Are they just being picky? Isn't that strange? They are healthy and all, but their eating behaviors is puzzling me

Registered Member

Default Re: Does your Discus like floating or sinking food?

mine like sinking. Although I've seen them do it Discus aren't really set up to feed from the surface so I'd say their preferred is to feed off the bottom

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

my discus eat from the top, middle, bottom, and sides of the glass. i do have some that surf the top for floating food more often, and some that seem to prefer to eat from the bottom tho. ive wonderd about the eyesight of a couple of mine who regularly miss when they try to strike the floating food, but i assume that animals can have perceptual issues like ppl. i think some of my discus need glasses...

Mine enjoying picking on the bottom for pellets in a leisurely manner. They'll eat flake, too. Their favorite is live blackworms. They're second favorite is freeze dried stuck on the glass.
    Mama Bear

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Anthony

Mine misses quite often too. It's funny to watch them first staring the FDBW floating, and then start chasing when it starts sinking but keep missing it. Once it hits the bottom, they will just give up and look for another one from the beginning. Many times I was like Don't just give up like that, Why not spend just a little bit more effort to eat it at the bottom...

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Anthony

Mine loves picking the FDBW from the glasss too, i guess it's because they are easier for them to catch

Side question: is it hard to get live blackworms?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

we cant get them where i live, but even if we could i wouldnt feed live foods to my fish because of the risk of introducing parasites

Real Name
    Naz

The only floating food my discus go for are freeze dried blackworm that get away from the pressed cube and float.Anything else they wait till it sinks!
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

Mine all line up on the bottom and graze like a little herd of flat round cows. Love watching them.

They seem to be mostly mid to bottom feeders, as above they're not really engineered for surface feeding except when I add freeze dried tubifex cubes that only stay at the surface. Then they go nuts going after it.

Feeding at the bottom seems to be the strong preference, probably yet another reason for bare bottom tanks that are kept scrupulously clean.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by xxalanxx View Post
    Mine loves picking the FDBW from the glasss too, i guess it's because they are easier for them to catch

Side question: is it hard to get live blackworms?
    nope many LFS will order in for you 99% come from California Blackworms that I know of

Quote Originally Posted by Kyla View Post
    we cant get them where i live, but even if we could i wouldnt feed live foods to my fish because of the risk of introducing parasites
    Been feeding them for years NOT ONCE have they introduced any pathogens. I sometimes get leeches in the batch I pick them out as most are dead the ones that aren't stick to the sides or bottom of my container and I pick them out.

Real Name
    Zach

My discus have eating food stuck to glass, food floating, food on the bottom, worms with there heads poking out of sand, food out my hand.... You get the idea, they just love food!
    -Zach

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Haris

My Discus are also like to eat from Top, Center & Bottom , everywhere from my tank they eat ,
    even they wanna eat my dinner too when I am dining they are all staring at me ...

My discus eat from every levels: top, middle, ground. However they only like pellets, and ignore everything else including black worms, blood worms, beef heart mix (diner). If one saw me coming with a pellet bottle in hand, the other 5 will race towards me gulping on the water surface like starving kids ><" That with 10 feeding times a day! I tried to feed them other kind of foods, but they mostly ignore them or eat without enthusiasm. I don't know why but all of them has become pellet-addict.