ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Mobile friendly picture upload.

Real Name
    Zach

Default Mobile friendly picture upload.

After the loss of Tapatalk it is quite difficult to add pictures from a mobile device. I use my phone 90% of the time to access the forum. With Tapatalk there was a simple upload button that you used to select a photo from your album and you were done. Wondering if there was any way to implement this into the site. It is quite difficult to either use a third party image host and have to go back and forth and pictures once posted usually come out sideways. Using the advanced reply on mobile and going through the photo upload process is also quite intricate - compared to a simple upload button - and the pictures are also uploaded sideways through this method.

Also, when using the mobile version vs desktop I do not see anyway to upload photos other than inserting from third party. Is there a way that is easier than this?

Thanks!!!
    Last edited by zchauvin; 04-21-2016 at 08:26 PM.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Mobile friendly picture upload.

Zach, are you using the "Default Mobile Style" or "vB4 Default Style"?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Zach

Pat I am currently using the vB4 default. I used the mobile default style for a while but found this to offer a better view of the entire homepage including new posts in all subforums instead of having to enter each forum to see posts. In the mobile style I cannot seem to find any kind of way to upload photos besides photobucket or flikr.
    -Zach

I prefer to use third party apps and photobucket has a mobile app.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

Real Name
    Zach

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bugg View Post
    I prefer to use third party apps and photobucket has a mobile app.
    Larry do you use this on mobile or on computer. It is far more efficient on my Mac but can become cumbersome quickly with slow speeds and trying to navigate two or three pages on iPhone while also going through photos ect. And then there's the whole sideways pic deal.
    -Zach

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by zchauvin View Post
    Pat I am currently using the vB4 default. I used the mobile default style for a while but found this to offer a better view of the entire homepage including new posts in all subforums instead of having to enter each forum to see posts. In the mobile style I cannot seem to find any kind of way to upload photos besides photobucket or flikr.
    I couldn't either Zach. The attachment manager and Insert Image work the same as they do on a computer.

Real Name
    Zach

Thanks Pat, if I could make a few suggestions. I think it would be nice to have an icon near the reply and quote icons that allowed the user to be prompted to upload a photo or video by selecting from phone album and uploading inline. Maybe even next to the text box that comes up when you reply. I'm sure it would be possible to have the system run through all the processes it takes now when using the file upload on the site and working them into a simple click of an icon.

Also, a real upgrade IMO to the mobile site ( would make me a more frequent user for sure) would be something like what the desktop has as in to at least show the latest post in the particular thread on the main mobile page. To me this would be much better than going to the top right and clicking what's new and having to sort through everything. I know I typically rotate through only a few subforums and if I do get in on other threads it is because I see them on the desktop site as a new post in that particular sub forum.
    Last edited by zchauvin; 04-21-2016 at 09:23 PM.

Real Name
    Pat

No clue if that can be changed Zach. Not familiar on how the software words on the inside.
    Pat

Unfortunately we are constrained by the limitations of the software manufacture, VBulletin. We can only modify it so much and though there are often hacks to do this and that, they often not supported at upgrades...it can get real dicey. Best I can do is look into things and see what can be done.

Thanks,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images