ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: fry lying on their side

Real Name
    Ramon

Default Re: fry lying on their side

Quote Originally Posted by alcastro View Post
    Just a thought, I had that problem with my fry, I pp ones every three days for a total of three treatments and they where ok, so I ran pp through my two stage filter system in a loop in my water storage drum, have not had that problem again for the last two batches.
    How do you do the dosage per gallon?
    When God leads you to the edge of a cliff....Trust him fully and let go....
    Only two things can happen....
    Either, " He will catch you when you fall...or He will teach you how to fly....."

I know that their is a formula but Kenny once told me that he does it by color. You want the tank a deep pink but not quite purple. I do it his way and have had no problems. It's best to sit there and watch the fish for the first few treatments so if they show signs of distress you can naturalize the PP with dechorinator or H2O2.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I know that their is a formula but Kenny once told me that he does it by color. You want the tank a deep pink but not quite purple. I do it his way and have had no problems. It's best to sit there and watch the fish for the first few treatments so if they show signs of distress you can naturalize the PP with dechorinator or H2O2.
    Liz,
    You might be on the right track, but it is probably a combination of diseases and water management. The problem is common with breeders ever since.
    as far back as I can remember in the 1980s. Since the disease is from the slime on the parents its easy to transfer to the offsprings.
    Last edited by CliffsDiscus; 05-18-2016 at 05:24 PM. Reason: add

Quote Originally Posted by CliffsDiscus View Post
    Liz,
    You might be on the right track, but it is probably a combination of diseases and water management. The problem is common with breeders ever since.
    as far back as I can remember in the 1980s. Since the disease is from the slime on the parents its easy to transfer to the offsprings.
    True

How about sterilize the pair using PP bath to shed few layers of slime coat and bleach the tank prior to breeding them. That way parents don't carry all the bad stuff

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by warblad79 View Post
    How about sterilize the pair using PP bath to shed few layers of slime coat and bleach the tank prior to breeding them. That way parents don't carry all the bad stuff
    Warblad,
    Excellent thought, many hobbyist had the same thought with some success, they also not only medicate external but also internal disease. Since the babies
    were still eating directly from the parents they still were infected. So the next generation had to be medicated with PP when neccessary.

Here are couple of other way to get around this life of Discus disease.

1. Removal of fry under one week, feed San Francisco Bay Brand baby Brine Shrimp.

2. Remove the eggs one hour after spawning, have clean pair raise the fry.

3. Artifically raise, no internal and external disease as long as the offspring
    are not mixed into the infected Discus. Throw away the PP and enjoy your Discus.
    Last edited by CliffsDiscus; 05-19-2016 at 05:18 PM.

Real Name
    Ramon

The Survivors......
    Didn't do anything special, just stopped putting hot water in a non food grade container and everything went normal, unfortunately it's a little bit too late as I got 7 left from the batch of about 80 so 90% died. Charge it to experience as they say. On the brighter side...I have about 30++ fry on it's 5th day of free swimming, hope this will be a success. Wish me luck.

My New Frys:
    When God leads you to the edge of a cliff....Trust him fully and let go....
    Only two things can happen....
    Either, " He will catch you when you fall...or He will teach you how to fly....."

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234