AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: frozen prepared Beef heart food recommendation?

Registered Member

Question frozen prepared Beef heart food recommendation?

I would like to buy prepared frozen Beef heart discus food. Has anyone had success buying frozen beef heart discus food online ? From whom?

Real Name
    Phil

Default Re: frozen prepared Beef heart food recommendation?

I've inly purchased the San Fran bay type and it's just ah. My fish never seemed to really like it and it's a mess...

I can't help you with whom to order from though. I think a few places sell and ship it froZen but you will have to let someone else guide you.

Real Name
    Naz

Quote Originally Posted by tbramblett View Post
    I would like to buy prepared frozen Beef heart discus food. Has anyone had success buying frozen beef heart discus food online ? From whom?
    I found buying from outside was not economical,and buying online would have add cost of shipping.Making your own is the best way to go,there are a number of recipes here http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ht=astaxanthin
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Silver Member

I get mine for Hans. been using if for almost 2 years

I agree. If you don't want to make your own, Hans makes a great mix!
    Darrell

Registered Member

Thanks Jim. I looked at the website. Price is reasonable, but as expected shipping will be expensive. So I need to order a large enough quantity to justify the shipping. Is the food sold in cubes or just in a bag? Do you know how long the mix will safely last in the freezer (ie. What is it Shelf-life) ?

Silver Member

It is sold by the pound, 1 pound hefty bags. Hans told me he has had it last up to 2 years in a freezer. I get 6 months supply (3 pounds, 3 hefty bags) and just remove any freezer burn when i see it before I feed them. There isn't much freezer burn if you keep the bag sealed in the freezer. I break mine in half length-wise to make it easier to slice off. i hope this helps.

jim

Registered Member

Jim,

Helps a lot. Thanks for information.

Silver Member

You're welcome. that's why we are all here, to help out

Real Name
    Amy

I know this thread is super old but thought it was a good place to ask about buying Hans’s food. I went to buy some just now for the first time and the shipping through Fedex cost more than the product. I’m just wondering if this was a mistake or is this just how it is. 58 bucks to ship only a couple states away seems crazy to me. Can anyone tell me if this is typical?
    Love Hans, love his Fish, super happy with everything on that end. I do have a question in for him but I’m sure he’s busy which is why I thought I’d ask here. Thanks in advance for any help.

Real Name
    Tom

Yeah $58 is a lot for shipping. Lots of recipes for beef heart out there. Would be cheaper to make your own. I rarely feed it. Maybe once a week after water change. I use a frozen brand. I mostly feed sera bites and freeze dried black worms.

Real Name
    Amy

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Yeah $58 is a lot for shipping. Lots of recipes for beef heart out there. Would be cheaper to make your own. I rarely feed it. Maybe once a week after water change. I use a frozen brand. I mostly feed sera bites and freeze dried black worms.
    Thanks, yeah I feed Al’s FDBW and they love those and also use frozen beef heart but wanted to try Han’s mix. Not paying 58 bucks for shipping though, that’s just outrageous. I had to ask, because I just couldn’t imagine that was right. But I guess it is. I’m shocked people pay that.

Real Name
    Tom

Lol come on look what we pay for fish .

Real Name
    Willie

Talk to your local butcher shop and ask how much they'll charge to clean out beef hearts for you. A fellow discus hobbyist spoke to his shop and they agreed to clean out hearts for free. About 2/3 of the tissue is removed so a LB of clean, ground beef heart costs us ~$9 with pickup.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Francis

Go to FedEx.com and click on get rates. Get a rate for a box 16x10x6 weight 8 lbs from your zip code to ( Hans) 21236 and see what the charge is for shipping only frozen beefheart.
    For shipping Also need styrofoam cooler box , dry ice/ ice packs ,bubble wraps and carton box they all cost $$$ plus shipping.
    Same as discus too, for shipping need styrofoam box, heat packs , bubble wraps, carton box, these costs money too. everything by weight.

Quote Originally Posted by AquaWoman View Post
    Thanks, yeah I feed Al’s FDBW and they love those and also use frozen beef heart but wanted to try Han’s mix. Not paying 58 bucks for shipping though, that’s just outrageous. I had to ask, because I just couldn’t imagine that was right. But I guess it is. I’m shocked people pay that.
    Last edited by seanyuki; 11-11-2021 at 12:31 PM.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast