ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: frozen prepared Beef heart food recommendation?

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: frozen prepared Beef heart food recommendation?

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Talk to your local butcher shop and ask how much they'll charge to clean out beef hearts for you. A fellow discus hobbyist spoke to his shop and they agreed to clean out hearts for free. About 2/3 of the tissue is removed so a LB of clean, ground beef heart costs us ~$9 with pickup.
    I pay $2.29lb for beef heart. Once I clean it, I do lose about 1/2 to 2/3rds to scrap, so on average I guess it's around $4lb. If I paid someone to clean it for me, this would certainly add to the cost. Once I add all the extra ingredients, shrimp, veggies, and other nutrients, I'd guess it costs me around $14+ per lb. If I were going to sell it, I would ask no less than $25lb because it's pretty labor intensive. Overnight shipping is expensive!

However, a couple of years ago someone here talked me out of some so I packed it in a USPS priority box, insulated it with 1/2" foam board, packed it in dry ice and shipped it Fedex early next day at his request (on his account) and it cost him around $75 for shipping. The funny thing is he told me the way I packed it, it would have lasted a week in transit.

With all the labor and added expenses involved, I think Hans charges a very fair price, but It's certainly understandable to be concerned about the price of shipping...

Real Name
    Discus Hans

Default Re: frozen prepared Beef heart food recommendation?

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    I pay $2.29lb for beef heart. Once I clean it, I do lose about 1/2 to 2/3rds to scrap, so on average I guess it's around $4lb. If I paid someone to clean it for me, this would certainly add to the cost. Once I add all the extra ingredients, shrimp, veggies, and other nutrients, I'd guess it costs me around $14+ per lb. If I were going to sell it, I would ask no less than $25lb because it's pretty labor intensive. Overnight shipping is expensive!

However, a couple of years ago someone here talked me out of some so I packed it in a USPS priority box, insulated it with 1/2" foam board, packed it in dry ice and shipped it Fedex early next day at his request (on his account) and it cost him around $75 for shipping. The funny thing is he told me the way I packed it, it would have lasted a week in transit.

With all the labor and added expenses involved, I think Hans charges a very fair price, but It's certainly understandable to be concerned about the price of shipping...
    Thank you Brian and Francis.

Amy if you think it's too expensive, no problem, you are more as welcome to make your own. I can give free shipping, only the food goes up from $25.00 to $60.00/lb It's the same with FREE SHIPPING on your Discus, it proves you pay too much for your Discus.FedEx or UPS doesn't ship for free. Styrofoam and carton boxes don't grow free on trees, fish bags, heat or cold packs ...... not free. Just got a pallet with 500 new carton boxes (small size) + $750.00
    I've changed the Discus World.
    Visit our online store at: www.discusfishstore.com
    All advice I give, is because I've good results with it, you're free to copy it. It's not a rule, it's just my way. Ohhhh and don't take me serious, I'm most of the time kidding

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12