AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: My Lawn Journal

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

Default My Lawn Journal

Hello all, I figured I'd start my homestead and what better than posting about my home. I Just bought my house last year and I have been trying to get my lawn up to par. So last year I sprayed weed killer and thatched the heck out of it pretty much killing the whole thing... Fast forward to present day, I just installed a automatic pop-up sprinkler system in hopes to keep the lawn moist and able to grow. I put down the first treatment of fertilizer and plan to over seed this weekend not that the irrigation is in place. The system I bought came with 6 rotary sprinklers and automatic timer control to set duration of watering, days of the week, and how many times in a day. The name is Rain Bird paid $120 and well worth it! It took about 4 hours to map it out cut the channel for the hose, and bury the heads.

LAWN1.jpgLAWN2.jpgLAWN3.jpg

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: My Lawn Jurnal

Very nice Devon. Unfortunately our lawn isn't looking that great. There is a city ordinance in place right now where you get fined for having the water on at certain times. We simply stopped watering the lawn completely. Ironically enough, it doesn't look as bad as we thought it would be without any water. Our flower bed looks super healthy though, and that is simply because it gets about 50g of water a day from my discus tank, lol. Maybe some seeps over to the grass somehow? Who knows...

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

Default Re: My Lawn Journal

Ya not shortage here, I wish I could harness the water I drain from my tank seeing as it all goes into the gutter. I am doing this proactively to prevent it from turning brown and developing a "Crunch"

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Debow View Post
    Ya not shortage here, I wish I could harness the water I drain from my tank seeing as it all goes into the gutter. I am doing this proactively to prevent it from turning brown and developing a "Crunch"
    Is it at all possible to route some pvc to the front yard for watering?

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

My front yard goes up hill but I have thought about running a like to the back yard.

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

So I hired true green for the year, see how the lain comes out I have herd mixed reviews but got a good deal and figured I'd give it a shot.

Devon,
    Good luck with that lawn grass! If for some reason it doesnt work out let me know. Last I counted I have about 40 different "weed" species growing in mine. Be glad to send you some..guarantee that they will thrive in CT's Climate..Matter of fact, they'll do so well , your neighbors will appreciate you more as they colonize their yards vigorously!
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Devon,
    Good luck with that lawn grass! If for some reason it doesnt work out let me know. Last I counted I have about 40 different "weed" species growing in mine. Be glad to send you some..guarantee that they will thrive in CT's Climate..Matter of fact, they'll do so well , your neighbors will appreciate you more as they colonize their yards vigorously!
    Haha I see a weed and attack it! I so far have a good control over it at this point. But if I see a neighbor that is getting the one up on me you will have to sent be a box of you'r finest!

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

Lawn Update: I raked and removed 2 trailers full of sand from my street side lawn, The town spreads inches of it and it all washes down on the grass killing it. So I put soem seas and topsoil down to see if I can get a base started so Tru Green has something to work with. Going to the city about putting in a curb. My neighbor told me they put his in no charge.
    lawn2.jpglawn3.jpglawn.jpg

Real Name
    Ricardo

The city shouldn't charge you for a curb. In Los Angeles, it is a very, very rare sight to not see a curb haha.

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

So the city put the curb in last week which surprised me, it only took a week and a half to have them come out. The grass I planted is starting to grow too. I have to call them one more time to have them back fill that section. Also a shot from this morning prior to work of the lawn.
    CURB.jpgCURB2.jpgLAWN6.jpg

Real Name
    Ricardo

Very lush and green. My dogs would tear that up in roughly 3.5hrs!

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

Ha funny that you said that, my neighbor has a springer spaniel that tears up his lawn, but stays away from mine thank god.