ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: What do you think about blood worms & black worms .

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Arturs Millers

Default What do you think about blood worms & black worms .

Hi guys just want to know what do you think about black,blood worms are they good for our discus or bad . Last weekend i was in Germany was talking with guy ho owns pet store all hes discus comes from stendker and hes been talking with them about food and so on and they told that blood worms and black worms are not good for discus because they can get alot of disease most off them are some gill infection and stuff like that .. So what do you think guys about that ??

Registered Member

Default Re: What do you think about blood worms & black worms .

Proteins are essential for growth, this is why many here will use beefheart and blackworms.

Blood worms are like candies...Very poor in protein (I think around 13%) but they are a great way to stimulate your fishes appetite once in a while.
    Blackworms: VERY rich in proteins (60%)
    BUT live blackworms can grow your discus in a great way but also kill them in an even faster way (they can carry diseases...been there, done that). A safer way is to go with freeze dried blackworms (sold on this forum), which wont make too much of a mess and don't carry diseases.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

When we compare protein content be sure you are comparing freeze dried to freeze dried or frozen to frozen. Pretty sure the freeze dried versions are comparable in protein content. I do not feed blood worms due to the ease of developing allergies to the things.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Arturs Millers

Thanks guys for replays so now i know i can give them blood worms one in i while but now on daily basis and btw where i live its almost impossible to get live blood or black worms all what i have seen its white worms sold live but only few times ..

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eti View Post
    BUT live blackworms can grow your discus in a great way but also kill them in an even faster way (they can carry diseases...been there, done that).
    Where did you get the "Blackworms" from ? I have fed live for many years and not once have I had any problems with them introducing diseases to my fish whether Discus or others. I have been buying from California Blackworms for years or from my LFS who also orders direct.

Freeze drying them can still introduce gremlins many bacteria and fungi have been frozen in permafrost for millions of years yet is still very viable once thawed.

Farm raised live blackworms are about as safe as any other food, and your fish will thrive on them. However, one of the downsides is fish will get addicted to them and refuse to eat anything else. Bloodworms on the other hand, are pretty useless as anything but a treat. I wouldn't use either as a staple.
    Darrell

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    When we compare protein content be sure you are comparing freeze dried to freeze dried or frozen to frozen. Pretty sure the freeze dried versions are comparable in protein content. I do not feed blood worms due to the ease of developing allergies to the things.
    Pat
    Thank you Pat. This makes me lose faith in humanity. OF COURSE if they are frozen in water the protein percentage will be much smaller. I see so many people bad mouth frozen bloodworms when they can be a positive addition to one's diet plan. FDBlackworms are the best, but I use Hikari Adult Brine Shrimp and Hikari and only Hikari FBWs as the last meal of the day for my group. Ima farmboy and they don't bother me. Taste pretty good, too lol.
    Over 50 years in fish and it still feels brand new!! Woodduck

Freeze dried bloodworms are 58% protein,comparable to blackworms,I feed both.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Bill.

Registered Member

There have been folks on here that feed soley Hikari bloodworms and have no issue growing discus out ..

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Ward View Post
    Farm raised live blackworms are about as safe as any other food, and your fish will thrive on them. However, one of the downsides is fish will get addicted to them and refuse to eat anything else. Bloodworms on the other hand, are pretty useless as anything but a treat. I wouldn't use either as a staple.
    Yes they certainly go can become addicted I agree. I always start them off with some sort of pellet before they get or if they get any worms. I've also chopped live redworms they get after those also. Blackworms always seem.to get listed as parasite vectors and I have been at this long enough that I have not found that to be the case. Keep them rinsed and in good fresh water and they last a long time.
    My .02

Registered Member

I clean my blackworms every day and when I first get them I remove all the leaches and whatever is not a worm ..and I have never had a problem either .. They last 3 weeks for me with no problem of course in the fridge

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Ross

I agree w/ Bill. What you are referring to is 13% protein from frozen BW. Its the water content compared to the freeze dried BW