ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Unboxing/Adding shipped fish

Registered Member
    Real Name
    JJ

Default Unboxing/Adding shipped fish

So now that my first ever shipment of discus from Hans will be arriving on Thursday, I want to be sure I am completely prepared as far as for when I receive them. I just realized this will be my first time ever having fish shipped to me. I've always purchased locally.

Is there a recommended procedure as far as getting your fish from the shipping box into the tank?

Default Re: Unboxing/Adding shipped fish

This is how I do it. I float the bags for 15 or 20 minutes so the temps can get the same. Then I take a bag out, put it in a bucket, scoop the fish up with my hands and dump them right in the tank. I've never had a problem with the drop and plop method.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    This is how I do it. I float the bags for 15 or 20 minutes so the temps can get the same. Then I take a bag out, put it in a bucket, scoop the fish up with my hands and dump them right in the tank. I've never had a problem with the drop and plop method.
    same here. Also, not sure if your tank is cycled, but if it isn't, ask Hans if you can buy some sponge material that is cycled from his tank for an insta-cycle.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

I just received an shipment today from Hans. I just open up the box, cut the bags, hold at the top to drain all bag water out, and just slip the fish into the tank. He ships with heat packs, so he told me just drop 'n ' flop, no need to float. I've been doing this method for the last four shipments over the years I've gotten his discus fish.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    JJ

excellent. thanks for the input! My fishless cycle was completed about two months ago. Ive just been adding small amounts of ammonia on the occasion to upkeep the cycle. I am going to do a 100% water change/wipedown today to remove the build up nitrates, and double check parameters tomorrow and add my purigen into my canister, so everything will be nice and pristine for my new arrivals.

My anxiety at this point is so crazy. If you'd like to see my progress to this point, here's my tank journal:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...r-DIY-projects

Registered Member

Just got a box today was nice and warm floated a few minutes pour inside a bucket than grab and off they go

That's the only way to do it with stock from a quality source like Hans for a newly minted (cycled) discus tank.

Plop n' drop. I used to drip them, other ways also but getting them into the good fresh water asap is better.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Chris Gunn

Make sure you check your water for ammonia and nitrite after you put them in. I have had a fishless cycle spike both because the bio load was more the filter could handle. Good luck!

I don't even float the bag. A difference in temp is not going to affect them. I dump the nasty water from the bag in a bucket and then slide the discus out of the bag into the tank.
    Larry Bugg

NADA - Vice President
    Atlanta Area Aquarium Association

Registered Member

I just put the fish and all the bag water in the tank!!!

KIDDING! DONT EVER DO THIS or you may kill your fish!!! Then the real anxiety would kick in! LOL

Have fun!

Real Name
    Mark

Yea, that "you have to acclimate" the bagged fish is just a bunch of malarkey. If you don't believe me, just watch YouTube of Discus Hans. He just picks up the discus in the bag with his hand and ploppes it into the tank. I do the same thing with the fish I've bought from the LFS.