ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: April 2016 Ask Al Sabetta - brewmaster15 Spotlight

Real Name
    Ralph

Default April 2016 Ask Al Sabetta - brewmaster15 Spotlight

Hello everyone...Please accept my apology for the April spotlight delay launch. Busy time of the year
    Without further delay, this month’s spotlight is focused on our very own Al Sabetta - brewmaster15 which I’m sure you all know as owner of Simply Discus. This month’s spotlight is slightly different where you the members of SD were asked to formulate specific questions for Al whether Discus related or not.
    This should be a good read and think you will enjoy the other side of Al when not on Simply Discus.
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Default Re: April 2016 Ask Al Sabetta - brewmaster15 your question Spotlight

Ralph, Thank you so much for organizing this! Here goes!

Q. Filip (Filip) asks… Al. as a discus breeder/seller, SD forum owner and an aquatic-supplier owner how do you have time to work other jobs to make a living or is this your dream job come true?
    A. Hi Filip, That's a good question. I started out as a biologist with a full time lab job and The forum was small then. Heres a super old pic, I even have some hair in it!

ALLAB3

I've always been lucky in having many good moderators to help, even back then and really could not run the place well today without the team we have here. Back then I was able to hold a normal job. I can't see that happening today. The forum is just too big and requires too much of my involvement even with the great staff here. I suppose I could be an absentee owner, as is how many forums are, but that doesn't work in the long run. If you want a forum to grow, you have to be involved. Someone has to guide it, someone has to deal with the inevitable problems and someone has to dump their heart into it. That's my “job”.

Back to your question. I don't have a conventional job these days. I do many things to make a living. AquaticSuppliers is just one aspect of it all. But I also consult for school age children programs on nature and science. I do various side jobs to make ends meet. Its not easy but I have a pretty diverse background. You may notice me scarce from time to time here depending on what I am doing. Some of my hats are forum owner/admin , discus breeder, fish food seller, educator, computer tech, painter, landscaper, lumberjack. but by far my favorite hat the last 12 years, has been Primary Caregiver for our two kids.

Q. Don Ellenberger (Don in Virginia) asks… Al, you've alluded in the past to some background in biology, I think. Lab work of some kind. Can you tell us what your experience has been in biology, and how that's reflected in your work with discus?
    A. Hi Don, Sure can. After earning my a business degree, and working as an Architectural Hardware consultant I left that field and went back to school. I started out with great dreams of being a wildlife biologist and so pursued a degree in that. I didn't go to a fancy college , paid my way through a State University. I took every biology course I could. Botany(plants), Entomology(Insects), mycology(fungi),zoology(animals), Ornithology (birds)and of course micro & genetics etc., Did very well , and graduated with dream degree, and not a job in sight! I did intern for several years in entomology and forest pathology. The field of my dreams was just that...in my dreams. So I decided to start applying to biotech and big pharma. I finally got a job as an animal care tech for Bayer Pharmaceuticals. Not quite what I wanted but I did get to work in biology abit. An opportunity soon came to work with a biotech company that specialized in Diabetes Research as Research Scientist. It was a small company and great to work for . Not everyday you get a chance to be involved in cutting edge technology and research trying to cure a debilitating disease like diabetes. I worked with some top notch people and learned everything I know about the scientific process there. Don asked how it its reflected in my work with Discus? I draw on my background as a Natural History Biology major all the time. I still consider myself a Natural History Biologist and my library is chock full on the subject. But then the lab experience has given me the analytic background to look “experiments” and observations here objectively and critically. Looking back...I have had the best of both worlds there.

My science background really defines much about who I am and how I look at things.. Its where articles like this..
    http://www.simplydiscus.com/library/...apeworms.shtml come from

and Images like this...(old pic!)
    whole1a

As a Natural History Guy I can't pass up opportunities to study anything out there, which is why my camera is always with me. Never know when you will see something that you may never see again or that most people have never seen...Like these bats mating..

_IGP1172a_01

Q. Ralph Ciardullo (Altum Nut) asks… Al, we have noticed that you are very handy in capturing images with photography. When did the interest first catch your attention and what are some of your most prized photos both wild life and/or still objects you care to share with us.
    A. A. Hi Ralph. I started taking pictures back when I was going to college for Biology. It was to document what I was seeing on field journeys. I was pretty bad at it, but I kept up and I read a lot. There were no forums so it needed to be learned by books and trial and error. Birds required special gear I expanded to carry a camera and bigger lenses and tripods. Over the years I have gotten in all aspects of photography, not just to document but creative as well. My assortment of gear has expanded... My field backpack weighs close to 50 lbs. at this point!!! I have smaller packs that I will use as well... but if I go anywhere on vacation that big pack comes with me. That may sound like I am a professional , I am definitely not. I just like taking pictures and I have been doing this so long that I have collected much gear. I hate having it sit unused and I enjoy using it. Even old gear is special to me. I've never been concerned with being published in a magazine, but I would like to work on selling my images. That's a down the road project. I do have images that stand out in my mind and that I am very fond of for one reason or another. Its something I like about taking pictures. A picture takes you back to when you took it. Even the worst picture is more vivid than our memories decades down the road. My kids even are into photography now... they had cameras in hand as soon as they could walk. We go out shooting together a lot, they use Pentax just like their old man.

As requested....

_IGP0115a

_IGP0259_01a

mature_nightheron

IMGP2409

IMGP1999_pentax

_IGP0381

drops

I also like to play around with my images in photo editing software...

tricolor_heron_art1

tricolor_heron_art4

Night_heron_art1
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 04-27-2016 at 11:30 PM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Q. Rick (nc0gnet0) asks… Al, why did you get out of the field of Biology?
    A. Rick, that's a good question. The answer is I had a life changing event. I became a father. 14 years ago when my daughter Becky was born, we relied on my parents to watch her while we worked. My parents are incredible people and they did a great job. We were very lucky. But it was hard for us as is it any parent to leave their kids upbringing to others. It did not feel right. That's when we started discussing one of us staying home. My son Ethan came 2 years latter and I knew we wanted one of us home. At the time biotech in CT was in a serious free fall. My company had several rounds of layoff and the writing was on the walls. I was the logical choice. I had a lot of things I could fall back on and I was able to jump start my consulting and teaching work on a part time basis. My wife was a teacher and had a a stable job. I decided to stay home a few years and raise the kids, then go back to a biology job. We tightened our belts, and did everything they tell you not to do with things likes 401ks and made it work. I never did go back, I have been offered lab jobs again, but that part of me is gone. I have no regrets. I have had the opportunity to raise my kids and watch them grow into amazing Teenagers. Its a opportunity that few people these days have. I would not do anything different here, except maybe have started 2 years earlier when my daughter was born.

Nothing is more important to me than my family.
    DSCN5833

_IGP0360

_IGP0256

_IGP0700a_01

_IGP1288

034_34

_IGP6139

IMGP2542

IMGP2540

Biggest pet peeve for me at the time was the ribbing I took from friends. They had an image of me sitting on the front lawn with a cocktail in hand while they worked. Lol.. I worked harder the last 13 years than I ever did in a normal job!
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 04-27-2016 at 11:00 PM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Q. Barb (Disgirl) asks… Al, I want to know how you began SD. What prompted you and what was the beginning of SD like?
    A. Hi Barb, I was part of forums before Simply and a group of us hung out at a place called Jedd. It was a good board at first but then things went south. Jedd was thinking of selling the forum and I contacted him to buy it so we could keep it open. I could have gone elsewhere and did try a few boards, but they were either stagnant or filled with negativity, bickering and fighting. I really didn't want to be part of that so I thought if I could buy Jedds and make it into what we wanted, it would be great. At the time I was friends with April Ross (April on SD) and we talked. She knew this bright “kid” Ryan Smith that was good at web stuff and she put us in contact. Ryan built the forum as it is today software wise, best webmaster you could ask for. SD would not be here today without all the years he put into it before moving on recently to be a Discus Importer (First Coast Discus- http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumd...entral-Florida ).
    The beginning was fun, exciting, and at times rough. It was new to us. We made mistakes and evolved and learned as we went along. Tried one thing and if it failed we tried something else. This is pretty much what we do even now! All of our policies here are the sum of the years. Its funny looking back, Ryan, April, and I envisioned a place where a bunch of us could hang out. 20, 30 , 40 members. Never dreamed it would be this active and grow so fast. It was challenging at times. Thousands of people, thousands of personalities and of course problems. The forum grew and we started building a moderator presence out of necessity and that too was challenging. Personally I had a hard time finding the best path for the forum. A balance . I had to try and think about a bigger picture than just a particular issue and sometimes I found that and my personal feelings at odds with what I knew was best for the forum. I've bitten more tongue here more times than any one!

Incidentally this month, April, is the forums Anniversary. It was started in April of 2002!! Hows that for longevity in the Cyber world! If you want to see the evolution of it... check out various time points of the way back machine...

http://web.archive.org/web/200201010...mplydiscus.com

Q. Phil (Phillydubs) asks… Al, I’ve noticed you buying more fish and beginning to breed again. I would like to know your plans and what is up your sleeve?
    A. Hi Phil. I few years ago I went thru a real rough time. The forum was really wearing me out. I was not feeling like it was worth the time and effort. I got physically sick as well as I was worn out.. Its been many years and I needed a break. My kids were in need of a game room and my fish room wasn't bringing me any pleasure any more. It was a financial drain at a time when I really couldn't afford it. So I shut it down and stepped back. I turned it into a room for the kids and kept one tank in my living room. Hoping to one day start up again. I almost walked away for good, and probably would have if not for that tank and my friends in the hobby that kept me interested. That was the closest this site ever came to closing. Recently I have been looking back at all the discus I have had and bred and decided that it was time to start up on a small scale. I need to be focused as my fish room is now a micro-fish room/laundry room. I have 6 each 29 gal tanks there mostly empty waiting on pairs. I have a 55 gal grow out there as well. In my office I have a 75 gal with wild greens, a 29 gal empty and a 29 gal lightly planted and containing a school of Odessa Barbs( which I do want to breed). I have a rack in the game room with a 125 for wild greens and Blue snakeskins. Bottom of that rack is a group of Blue Diamond X Snow white F1 crosses that were bred by a local hobbyist and intrigue me. Finally I have a 125 gal in living room that's my wife's tank now. Its loaded with domestic Reds. It was her Christmas Present and she actually does all the maintenance and feeding in it! I kid you not!

So to answer your question Phil, I will be trying to cross the wild Greens to the Blue snakeskins. Its something I have done before and I want to revisit and carry it further. I may breed other things that strike my fancy but the WGXBS cross is my goal. I will also shoot for f1 from wild greens and have no doubt that snakeskin to snakeskin will happen.
    I posted on the project here...
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ross-revisited

I may be dabbling in red covers and san merahs down the road also.

Lastly I have a LTP going.. (Long term project. ) I inherited a 240 gal custom tank and hi-tech system from my friend Steve ( Scolley-owner of the Son of Kahuna tank in our planted tank section). The cabinet needs a bit of work and there's some general repairs needed so I am taking my time there.. what exactly I do with it, I am not sure. But it has tons of potential and would be the biggest tank I have owned.

I guess this is where I show off my Discus? Honestly compared to what I had before, it seems I have so few... but its a bit strange, I do believe I am enjoying a few hundred gallons of water better than a several thousand!

IMGP9540

IMGP9541

IMGP9575

IMGP9561

IMGP9578

IMGP9584

IMGP9582

IMGP9603

IMGP9610

IMGP9596

IMGP9600
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 04-28-2016 at 06:24 AM.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

IMGP9606

IMGP9608

IMGP9593

IMGP9528

Q. Keith (Keith Perkins) asks… Al, I'd like to hear about your brewing history… how long have you been at it, any idea how many batches you've made and do you have a favorite beer of choice from any one batch?
    A. Ahhh a tasty question! Going back to my brew log, I apparently I have brewing since 1997! In that time I have made thousands of gallons of ales, lagers, and stouts. I tend not to do things in a small way when a hobby grabs me. I have no idea exactly how many batches I have made but I know at the peak I often had 4-5 5 gallon buckets going at the same time. I would take coolers of it everywhere I went. We had it many times here at my home when I hosted the North East Discus Association meetings. I have made so many different kinds of beers, my favorites though are my stouts. I used to make a killer oatmeal stout. Not only are these stouts great for drinking but they make great marinades for steak! Next runner up would be the hopped IPA's. I got so into the hobby that I planted hops all over the yard here. I had at least seven varieties. I still have 2 very good patches of Chinook and Cascade hops. Next up would be my honey mead. It takes a long time for a good honey mead to age. I have a few bottles of my first batch that goes back to 2003. It took 2 years to ferment and then I bottled it in 2005.

20160427_125116

Usually a honey mead takes a few years to really mature. I have a few other batches aging. Homebrew beers take a few weeks to ferment and can be drunk shortly after. Talk about a difference. Its something every lover of beer should try. They have kits now that you can make your favorite brew from. Its fun, easy, and definitely saves you money!

Oh and I did make a few batches of red wine. One of my favorites are cabernet franc and I planted a few vines here for that. I even made dandelion wine. That one also takes years . I try a bottle each year and see how its doing. The first year I almost got sick...yuck! But its getting better. Right now after about 6 years its like a chardonnay.

Honestly I don't homebrew much these days, too much else going on but I do plan on starting up another batch of my honey mead.

Q. (Akili) asks… Al, as Discus have very high nutritional requirements. They thrive on a varied diet; I like to ask what live foods do you recommend if any? If none why?
    A. I don't think Discus necessarily have high nutritional requirements, no more than most cichlids. All fish thrive on varied and quality food sources. I don't generally recommend live foods. They honestly aren't needed in this day and age as there are many alternatives with the same benefits abnd none of the drawbacks. Live foods may be enjoyed by the discus, but you always run the risk of problems. Some carry parasites, others can be the source of bacterial infections when the cultures are old and organisms start to die. If I was to recommend live foods. I would suggest Red wigglers , aka compost worms ,as you can do those indoors and you control the table scraps they are fed. White worm cultures are good as well. I have in the past also done fruit fly maggots and raised and bred meal worms which can be fed.
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 04-27-2016 at 11:25 PM.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Q. (Rapture) asks… Al, this is in regards to your interest in reptiles. What is your favorite reptile, what do you currently keep, what do you want to keep and what are your goals with reptiles, and do you ever go herping, snake hunting, road cruising, etc. to find wild reptiles, and if so, do you have any photos of what you’ve encountered?

A. I love reptiles. Alligators and Crocs are among my favorites but I don't think theres a reptile or amphibian that I don't like! I kept snakes and turtles long before I knew what a discus was. I used to take snakes and turtles to schools and do educational programs with them. I currently keep a colony of red footed tortoises, (6) that are just of breeding age. I have now 2 males and 4 females. I bought most of these as captive bred hatching about 8 years ago. They have a big enclosure inside. ( http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...Tank-Build-out) and a large outdoor enclosure... ( http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...oted-Tortoises ) I have been looking forward to breeding these for many years. Hopefully this is the year. I saw one of the males mating with a female a few weeks ago.

I am also a snake lover. I have kept milksnakes,cornsnakes, ratsnake, kingsnakes, pythons and boas. Never anything poisonous...no need to. My oldest snake lived to be 17 years old. It was a Texas ratsnake I raised from a hatchling. Currently I have 7 ratsnake. (4 albino, 1 Texas, 1 black, 1 cross) We have bred them over the years a few times and my kids raised one of the albino hatchlings each as their own. At this point I may put a pair together. Not sure.

I go herping all the time. Anytime I am outdoors I am looking for reptiles and amphibians. Typically when we go on vacation we lean towards national and state parks where I can look for wildlife. Here in CT , we have a group of herpers that go out a few times a year looking, One of the guys is a member of the forum, Jeff Richards. We have a great time seeking the elusive and looking for the common stuff. No collecting. Just finding them. My favorite finds were 2 species of snakes that are related.. Indigo snake, Drymarchon couperi, in Florida and Texas Indigo Snake ,Drymarchon melanurus erebennus during a Texas Birding Trip. Seeing these in the wild was for me a life find. I've always wanted to breed the Indigo snake, but they are protected and just getting the permits is a hassle. Seeing crocodiles in Florida was pretty cool. On one trip to the everglades I got to see a Crocodile and Alligator within several hundred yards of each other. In the pine barrens of NJ, I stumbled on a road kill of a natural hybrid between a corn snake and a rat snake.. If only it were alive!

I will have to do some digging for pics so maybe I will start a separate thread on my reptiles and Herping in my homestead site.. In the meanwhile..

Heres a few of my snakes...older pics sorry.

_IGP3481

_IGP3482

2014-03-21_13-20-20_786

and one last one, yes I even like Anoles.

brew_lizard

Q. Tony (MKD) asks… Al, what is the ideal central sump for Breeding set up?
    A. Tony, honestly I'm no pro on this subject. I'm as old school as it gets with breeding systems. My thoughts are a sum isn't needed for a breeding system at all, and I have never used one. A bare 29 gal tank, sponge filter, heater AND lots of good water changes are really all you need. People get so crazy with technology sometimes. Breeding Discus is easy, being good at husbandry is the hard part. Having a high tech sum system can actually mess you up when breeding if you rely on it too much to keep your water clean. It can be a great thing though as part of a central system for growing and displaying fish. My advice is if you build a sump system for your breeding set up, build in shut offs so you can isolate your pairs and fry tanks easily. There will be times when you will want to. Other than that, I am not a high tech water filtration guy. Clean water, lots of it and good food has always been my focus. I really use only sponges and aquaclears here, though I have plans to try some other systems as time goes on, more on that another time.

Q. Pat Husband (Second Hand Pat) asks… Al, in the past you have kept wild Heckel’s and perhaps tried to breed them. Could you detail your experience, observations and experiments with them? Any suggestions for members to be successful with keeping heckles and perhaps trying to breed them.
    A. Pat I tried several times over the years to breed heckels. Farthest I ever got was a handful of wigglers with a heckel maleX domestic female . I tried duplicating the amazon water, I tried enhancing the diet with insects I caught with a blacklight. I tried to get wild heckel adults hoping they would be more prone to breeding and I spent 2 years growing out a group of 3 “ juvies hoping they would. Breeding Heckels is just a challenge. I hope to take it up again one day, but for now its on the back burner. Now Keeping Heckels is another story. They are Discus. What works with Discus works with Heckels. There's no secret and there's no magic. I raised a group of 3 inch heckels to adulthood in tap water here... pH 7.6-7.8 just like any other wilds. They Don't Need softer more acidic water to live and grow...more fish are probably killed by keepers trying to make the amazon out of their tap water. That's not saying that soft acidic water isn't going to be good for them if you can manage it. . They evolved in it. its a given that its best. What I am saying is, They get used to a wider range of parameters than we give them credit for. My advice to heckel keepers is first focus on parameters you can easily control... be able to do large water changes of clean water and provide good food.. Then if you want to play around with conductivity and pH to make a more natural biotope, have at it. But don't forget that RO water isn't the Amazon. There's more to black water that making RO water mixes. There's humic and related acids, rainy cycles that all may play a role in getting your heckels to breed. There may even be complex food chains involved. I think we still have quite a few pieces left on the Heckel puzzle but I have no doubt that we will do it.

Q. Ricardo Vasquez (rickztahone) asks… Al, over the years we have seen your collection of cool critters you keep at your house. Obviously you are an animal lover and you have set your kids on the right path by taking up that same love. My question to you is, of all the animals you have kept, which one was more demanding? Is there an animal that you would love to keep but you haven't yet kept?
    A. I have to say Snakes are by far the easiest I have kept. The most challenging are turtles. Aquatic turtles are prone to fungus and bacterial infections and the tank water fouls easy. Land tortoises either get big or have special hibernation periods that they need to live long healthy lives. My red footed tortoises are approaching 10-12 inches long and are about 9 years old. They can live to 80- plus years. Its a huge commitment . They require a high level of care and its been a real learning curve for me. I'm glad I bought them as hatchling as I have made mistakes along the way learning that I won't repeat when I breed them. Things that really we have only learned in the last 10 year about shell development and “pyramiding” of the scales of the shells. Scorpions were pretty cool pets as well.

My cats are generally easy to care for. If they need anything they just let you know. I do have one special needs cats, an older cat we adopted a few years ago. Whiskers, aka Whiskey boy, has had some serious respiratory issues. Almost lost him last year to a chest infection. Giving cats pills is never easy., giving them 2X a day is about as far from fun as you can get. But he is my bud and he doesn't hold it against me. ..

IMGP1896

Couldn't ask for a better feline friend!

I would love to have a Dexter Cow.. My wife thinks I am nuts there. If I could I would live on a farm. I enjoy gardening and farming. I would love to be able to keep roosters with my chickens. Ostrich would be awesome. I always wanted to get into falconry as well. I Mentioned indigo snakes.

Q. Paul (discuspaul) asks… Al, how do you feel you have done your best being a mentor to other discus hobbyists through your management of the forum itself? This may be a real toughie, but we know you're up for it.
    A. Paul, My friends and family always told me they could see me as a teacher. I like to share what I know and pass it on to others. I have spent the last 14 years here on Simply trying to do that, but not just with what I know. But with what we collectively know here in the hobby. My purpose in this forum is to disseminate knowledge on the keeping of Discus. I have geared the forum rules towards that end and tried to maintain an atmosphere here that is conducive to doing just that. Some members use forums as their playgrounds, but most use them as you would a library. A place where you go for knowledge. I want the forum to be a place where members come and share what they have learned, where they can debate and discuss differences of experiences and opinions in a civil, mature, and productive fashion. I've had to bite my own tongue many times to set myself as a role model there, but I think its important that we try and hold ourselves to a higher professional level. Some call that being “politically correct “ and attribute some bad connotation to it. That sentiment is utter nonsense. Its called being civil and polite, and has never gone out of style. Treating someone with respect even when you don't agree costs you nothing but creates a bridge that at some point you may find common ground by crossing. That's my view at least.. Have I been a good mentor to members here? I don't know. I share what I know openly and maintain a forum here that is free for everyone to use. I know that I have given everyone here on the forum a great place to share what they know, to learn and if they so choose , a place to call home. What's done with it after that is up to each member. I do hope I have helped people along the way, and that the Forum has as well.

In closing I would just like to thank all of the mods and admins for all their help past and present. Yes, I own SimplyDiscus, but there would not be a SimplyDiscus without so many people helping it along the way. Particularly want to call out Ralph on this one for putting up with me the last Month. Our April spotlight almost became a May spotlight!.Sorry Ralph!

And thanks to those of you that asked me questions here. I hope I have answered you well and that you got to see some aspects of me outside of the Role as Admin/Owner here.

and Ps... SimplyDiscus...Happy Birthday! you made it another year old friend!

AL
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 04-28-2016 at 06:33 AM.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Rick

Very good read Al! I had no idea on the diabetes research, I have a good friend that came down with that at a late age (30+) and it's no fun for sure. Loved the Mantis pic, but where is the tiger salamander????

-Mud
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I really do need to try breeding those again Rick.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Ricardo

I am glad I waited to read this spotlight Al! Very good read indeed. You have such a diverse background and your dedication to the site shows. Thank you for providing us discus nuts a place to call home

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Thank you Ricardo, I'm glad you like it. and of course glad you call it home!

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

WOW Al, a great read and I commend your decision to raise your children the way you did and it shows in the awesome teenagers they are today. One thing you and I share is the important of being deeply involved in our kids lives. Reading your spotlight makes me feel proud to be part of forum and part of your life in a very, small way. Really looking forward to meeting and spending some time with you (and family) at the NADA show.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Great read but I hate that I missed the boat for asking questions.....but then again we are probably both better off that I did....LOL.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

Very good read, might even have been worth waiting for. Glad to hear your a stout fan Al, probably my favorite as well. There's a local brewery here that makes a nice oatmeal stout and if I remember to do it I'll bring a 6 pack along to the NADA show. The honey mead sounds interesting, not sure that I've ever had one of those. If you happen to find one in your car when your unpacking it Illinois I'll be happy to dispose of it for you.
    President - North American Discus Association

Real Name
    Naz

What an insight to personal experiences and sharing some moments from the past. Al Thank you for all the answers.
    Dollarphotoclub_77959340-1024x577.jpg
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Real Name
    Phil

I have been waiting for this to hit and it was well worth the wait! Happy to see I made the cut! Lol

Thanks for taking the time to provide such indepth and insightful answers! This forum has become a big part of my life and I feel like I check here at times before my own personal email and sometimes even work!! But shhhh I didn't say that!

Thank you for all you do and for keeping this place going. I would be lost without it. I never thought that having and keeping fish could take on such an added dimension and I would be apart of a community because of it. Yet here we all are. It's quite fun!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast