ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finally

Registered Member
    Real Name
    John

Default Re: Finally

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Oh I have no doubt. However, RO is not needed, and in fact, tap is preferable for the added minerals for discus development.
    hmmm that would make things much easier....
    The guy with a lot of tanks

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by John7429 View Post
    hmmm that would make things much easier....
    I'm glad that is the case. RO is only ever needed in 2 situations, breeding and in cases where tap water has super high nitrates where RO is supplied to bring them down, but still a mix of tap and ro

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    I'm glad that is the case. RO is only ever needed in 2 situations, breeding and in cases where tap water has super high nitrates where RO is supplied to bring them down, but still a mix of tap and ro
    I'll have to take some measurements to see if I can get a python long enough to do water changes without buckets/barrels...
    The guy with a lot of tanks

Real Name
    Phil

You can make anything if you really want to

Quote Originally Posted by John7429 View Post
    Hello discus people!

Just thought I'd make a quick thread/post here so the folks that don't know me get an idea of my background.

I started this (aquarium) hobby about 10 or 11 years ago. Prior to that, my family (mainly my father) always had aquariums at home and his office but they were not "mine." I went from my first aquarium - a 12g Marineland Eclipse tank off CL - to SEVENTEEN aquariums (10 FW and 7 SW) in about six months. That was in my 1 bedroom apt on the third floor. One of my friends came by for a visit around that time and offered up his three car garage to use as a fish room... things got interesting at that point. At the peak, I ran 37 tanks averaging 60g each and the largest being 240g. The larger space allowed me to venture into monster fish keeping and I got into that community heavily around 2007-8.

To make a long story short, lets fast forward to today.

I am on the exec board for SCAPE (www.scapeclub.org) which is a planted tank club in southern California. I serve on the board of directors at a parrot sanctuary/rescue (www.thelilysanctuary.org) in Orange County. I am the adoptions chair and exec board member for the Orange County chapter of the California Turtle and Tortoise Club (www.octortoisecttc.org).
    Other aquarium clubs/groups I'm a member of include: MonsterFishKeepers, California's Organization of Aquatic Show Tropicals (COAST), Southern California Reef Keepers, and many others I'm less active in...

I currently have 1 dog, 2 bearded dragons, 1 tegu, 1 uromastyx, 3 sulcata tortoises, 2 giant leopard tortoises, 1 mata, 3 soft shell turtles, 5 razorback musk turtles, 1 CA desert tortoise, 1 African Grey parrot, 2 budgies (parakeets), 60g reef tank, 180g monster fish tank, 150g monster fish tank, 75g community planted tank, 6.7g planted shrimp tank, AND.... newly set up 80g DISCUS tank.
    I'm in the process of adopting 4 parrots from the sanctuary where I volunteer and also have 10-15 turtles and tortoises that cycle through my house as they get surrendered in and adopted out that I do not consider "my" pets.

Yes, I have a wife. No, we do not have kids (yet).

I hope that gives you guys some info about me. I'm sure I know many of you from the SoCal area but I know there are many folks here from the rest of the world.

PS: If anyone plays StarWars Commander (mobile game), my handle is SgtJohnKim in the squad _NAMELESS_ (top rebel squad in the world!)

Hey John,
    Nice meeting you. Another Turtle/tort guy... Cool! Being a Red footed Tortoise guy myself... should you run into red footed, Yellow footed or Cherry heads that are in need of adoption. Please let me know. I will give them a great home.

looking at your set up and plans for Discus..agree with Ricardo on all points there. For your water changes.. check out Jehmco's safety pump...might help in your situation.

http://jehmco.com/html/safety_siphon...ium_drain.html

Good Luck and welcome to the Hobby.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12