AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: aren't Bolivian rams usually compatible with discus?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Koji

Default aren't Bolivian rams usually compatible with discus?

I have one 2~3 inch runt discus in my 20L tank that I use as a hospital tank. He's not sick, I just have in there to the tanks cycled and to see if gets bigger without competition for food. I also have one ram that I've had for 2 years. Ram has shared tanks with discus before and never bothered discus at all. But recently I noticed sometimes the ram pushes the discus from the side. There's no fighting. Just odd behavior, maybe the ram wants his space. I want a low stress environment for this discus as I particularly like has pattern. I bought him as a dime sized discus from a local breeder.

Hate to rehome my ram. I'll see if I can get a video.

Default Re: aren't Bolivian rams usually compatible with discus?

Normally they do well with discus.Mine never had any issues. Your runted discus may not appear sick...but if its weak, the ram may sense that and want it out of the area....pic of discus or vid would be great.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Koji

Yes, he is weak. He's 1 of the 3 that made through my 2 month attempt to wean them off of FDBWs. Two others starved to death. This on is back on FDBWs, eating but not yet with gusto, but I think he'll live. So you might be right on with the ram's behavior.

20160430_081804.jpg

Registered Member

Why would you ween young discus off a very good food and for 2 months ? That's crazy imo letting them starve like that

Real Name
    Phil

Yea I am very confused by this...please explain

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Koji

Ok, sorry. I had 3 runts that I wanted to give away for free to my LFS, a locally owned store. But I wanted these discus to eat flakes or pellets before I gave them away. I've tried a few times in the past but failed. All they've had were initially BH mix then FD black worms. Based a theory that once they are hungry enough, they'll eat flakes and/or pellets. Well, this guy must have ate some since he survived for 2 months. But the other 2 eventually weakened to a state where they couldn't float properly, so I euthanized them before they died. Since I liked this guy the most I gave in and have decided to keep him. Thus his back on FDBWs again. If he grows to 4 inches, I'll put him in my display tank.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dhaval

I thought LFS are more willing to put in remainder of live food in their tanks instead of letting it go bad...I really don't see the point of you attempt(which lead to death) to wean them off..