AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: For anyone in Texas or surrounding states......Huge TCA auction....

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Default For anyone in Texas or surrounding states......Huge TCA auction....

Tomorrow will see another huge Texas Cichlid Association auction. A great place to talk fish and buy some at great prices. The address is 2001 Valley View Lane, Irving, TX 75061 and I think it is supposed to start around 11:00. I promise that there will be at least a "few" discus there...lol.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Real Name
    Phil

Default Re: For anyone in Texas or surrounding states......Huge TCA auction....

Sounds cool... Wish there was something like that around here.

Care to explain to those of us who have not experienced this how it works? What's the set up like, are all fish auctioned or just some good prices?

Do I sense some sarcasm when you say a few discus

For us it is pretty straight forward. The seller brings the fish already bagged and labeled with their initials, what the fish are, a bag number. Both the buyers and the sellers have to register. While the seller can put a minimum on the bag few do and about 99.99% of the stuff sells. Sometimes the prices are good for the seller and sometimes it is good for the buyer. Prices are normally high at the start and low at the end. To make it fair the bags are basically put into one of 4 groups. If I brought 4 bags I would get color dots for the bag. One green, one yellow, one blue, and one purple. I get to chose which bag gets which dot but I have no clue the order in which the groups will sell. It can be lots of fun. Back when the TCA was a big clue the auctions would last roughly 12 hours. Now that we are smaller it takes about 4 hours.

-john

SOS Crew Texas

Real Name
    Phil

Very cool! Thank you for sharing the info and the break down John, gives us who aren't there some insight...

So, how did it go? Did you sell anything? Buy anything?

So the fish are just bagged and thats how people see and buy them?

I took 24 bags of discus....some with one fish and some with two. From 2 to 4 inches. I took 2 bags of german blue rams, and one piece of holey rock that I found at the deer lease that looked like a face...LOL. Yep the fish are just bagged. All I bought was one bag of really nice sword tails.

-john

SOS Crew Texas

Registered Member

Sunday wasn't good for me to travel without notice, but I look forward to going in the future. Sounds interesting!