ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Hole in the head?

Real Name
    Casper

Default Hole in the head?

I just visited a fellow discus keeper and noticed one of his discus had small holes in the head and something looking like small white worms/strings poking out.
    The holes look like normal 'sensory holes' but have never seen these milk-white strings.
    I couldn't get a decent picture with my phone, but from google search and threads here the holes doesn't look like hole-in-head.

anyone know what this might be? (I know it's hard without pictures, but I'm really curious)

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: Hole in the head?

Quote Originally Posted by kilnakorr View Post
    I just visited a fellow discus keeper and noticed one of his discus had small holes in the head and something looking like small white worms/strings poking out.
    The holes look like normal 'sensory holes' but have never seen these milk-white strings.
    I couldn't get a decent picture with my phone, but from google search and threads here the holes doesn't look like hole-in-head.

anyone know what this might be? (I know it's hard without pictures, but I'm really curious)
    More than likely a bacterial infection. There are 2 recent threads on it in the disease section if you want to take a gander.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Casper

Thanks rick for the reply.
    I did come across a few threads dealing with these bacterial infection, but they look more like small blisters. These are the 'normal' pin hole size holes where some white strings are sticking out. They are about 1/4 inch just sticking out from the holes.
    Haven't been able to find anything that resembles this anywhere.

Real Name
    Casper

I managed to get a picture of the problem fish yesterday.
    Is it worms, bacteria or fungus or something else?
    20160511_192322.jpg

Real Name
    Jacklyn

looks like "pimples" which are usually just a sign of dirty water. they can lead to other things though if not taken care of. these would clear up on their own with cleaner water (more water changes)
    ~JACKLYN~

Real Name
    Casper

Quote Originally Posted by jmf3460 View Post
    looks like "pimples" which are usually just a sign of dirty water. they can lead to other things though if not taken care of. these would clear up on their own with cleaner water (more water changes)
    So not talking about a disease here? Is the discus affected by this?

Real Name
    Phil

Is the discus affected by dirty water... Take a look at his face , it answers that question. No one grows a foreign substance off their body for the fun of it. He's telling you keep up with my water man! Get on some big changes and they will go right away but stay in it. Waiting this long as said before can lead to other issues

Real Name
    Casper

Just an update on this one.
    I gave the advice to the owner and just visited him yesterday. He said he had started daily WC. The discus looked much better and only a single of these white spots is all there's left.
    It's incredible to see the importance of clean water and how it can change everything in just a matter of days.