AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT - Rickztah's Low Iron 22g SW Tank Update 11/28

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default OT - Rickztah's Low Iron 22g SW Tank Update 11/28

I just wanted to start a new thread on this build so that I have an OP with an equipment list and everything is easier to find

As the title states, this will be a Peninsula tank. It is only 22g, but with rockwork it should be much closer to 15g. I'm hoping to offset that a bit with a larger sump.

So, here are the specs:

• Tank:

Mr. Aqua 22g Long (Low Iron) - 36x12x12

• Light:

Maxspect Razor 16k 160w

• Filtration:

Bean Animal side mount overflow

Sump 30g Eshopps - 30x16x12

Skimmer Eshopps S-120

DC-12000 Swapping this out for a DC-3000

DC-3000 This will be the second DC-3000 to serve as redundancy.

3 Way Manifold - will probably end up being run by the second DC-3000

Siporax in eggcrate for bio

• Chiller:

Customsealife 1/5 HP

• Water movement:

MP20

• Water Treatment - RO/DI & ATO

Spectapure 90gpd unit

JBJ ATO - will probably replace this with a Tunze soon enough

• Dosing:

Still debating on which brand to go with

• Stocking:

1 Pair of Designer Clownfish. Toss up between Frostbite / Phantom / Premium Black Snowflake (Amphiprion ocellaris)

• Additional Equipment:

TFL Phosban 150 reactor

BRS GFO & Carbon Dual Reactor

2x STC-1000 - Controllers for heater/chiller and box fans for stand

I like to overthink things and love paying attention to detail on builds, this is why this has taken me well over a year to even get to this stage. I have 80% of all the equipment needed.

As many of you may know, I love DIY, and the one thing that is left is the stand which is where I usually drain all my money in to, lol. I don't plan on doing that this time and will try to keep it simple yet still look good.

I hope you follow along this new venture with me

Here is a pic of the equipment so far:
    DSC08431 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

DSC08432 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

DSC08435 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr
    Last edited by rickztahone; 11-30-2016 at 01:57 AM.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: OT - Rickztah's Low Iron 22g SW peninsula tank

As I said , I love DIY. I chose to do my own overflow and drill and cut my own glass. Here's how that went at first:
    DSC08395 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr
    DSC08397 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

That was fun

Here's my second try:
    DSC08487 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr
    DSC08492 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr
    1 Hole - 2 Hole - 3 Hole by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

I also tried to cut the glass myself, however, that was a complete and utter fail. I bought a cutting wheel, running pliers and oil but just couldn't get it to work. A quick tip for those that are planning on getting the equipment to cut their own glass, just save your money and leave it to the pros. They charged me $2.50 per cut and it came out much cheaper for them to do it than it did for me to get the equipment to cut. lesson learned.

Here is how the panes look once cut to the measurements I specified:
    DSC08495 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

Everything siliconed in to place:
    DSC08496 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr
    DSC08497 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr
    DSC08499 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr
    Sorry about the mess in the tank. I was pretty tired at this point and even taking that out and putting it back in wasn't appealing, lol.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Ricardo

If for whatever reason anyone is curious of the sizes of the cut panes, here's this:
    DSC08437 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr
    the top piece will serve as a lid for the overflow setup

Also, this shot shows the difference between low iron and regular glass if anyone is curious about the difference between the two:
    DSC08438 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Ricardo

I will say one thing about the shattered glass pic of me drilling. There were a couple of things that I did that could have easily prevented this disaster. First, the bottom was unsupported. If you check out the pics of the successful drilling, there is a plywood piece as well as 1/4" Styrofoam piece when you drill through. Also, in the failed attempt, I forgot to lower the chuck to 1. When I hit full speed, it shattered immediately. Going slow at first on 1 will not allow you to go faster than you need to be. Once I got the groove going, I upped the drill to 3. Never really went full speed, because I decided to take my time because the small pane could have easily cracked because of the close proximity of the holes.

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Ricardo

As I said, going bare bottom with this tank. Painted the tank bottom with Rustoleum textured paint and added flat white in to the mix to better look like reef sand. I have been using this textured paint for years and love how it looks. It gives a good balance between BB and sand, at least I think it does. Better than no paint IMHO.

DSC08501 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

DSC08502 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr
    After a good round of masking

DSC08503 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr
    and done

DSC08504 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

It will look better from the inside, I promise

Next I am going to try to make my own lid out of acrylic. Does anyone know, can you use a jig-saw on acrylic?

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Matt

I am excited for this. Great craftsmanship. Love the idea of painting the outside bottom, gives me an idea for my next tank.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-n00b View Post
    I am excited for this. Great craftsmanship. Love the idea of painting the outside bottom, gives me an idea for my next tank.
    Thx Matt. I should also mention that I will be painting the overflow box white but I won't paint it until I get the actual paint for the stand and use that so that it matches perfectly

Cafepress.com

Registered Member

Great recovery there Ricardo, looking pretty sweet!

Real Name
    Zach

Very nice so far Ricardo. Looking good.
    -Zach

Real Name
    Ricardo

A fellow RC member was nice enough to give me some extra acrylic he had. I had originally intended to use the acrylic as baffles but then I thought I may just make a tank lid out of it.

Originally I was going to use glass as a top but I cringed at the idea of possibly dropping the lid and it shattering inside the tank. I didn't want to use a whole piece of acrylic because it bows badly. So, I figured I'd try to make a lid which just had the edges and use fishing line to prevent jumpers. So far I have just done the cut out but still need to drill the holes and buy the fishing line.

Also, I need to buy 2 more clips because the way it sits still bows in the middle. Of course there is no telling if all of these things will prevent it from bowing regardless, but I will cross that bridge when I get there. For now, this will be my temp solution and it came at no extra cost, so why not?

Here are the pics of it in progress:

This is the way the tank looks with the painted bottom btw:
    DSC08505 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

DSC08509 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

So first I cut the acrylic sheet down to size and make sure it fits:
    DSC08510 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

This is what we started with:
    DSC08511 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

All areas marked off. The inner lines represent where I will clamp down a T-ruler and give enough space for blade clearance. Notice I marked little tic marks. Those represent where I would stop with the drop in circular saw so that I could round those corners. Worked out fine:
    DSC08512 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

Drop ins done and now time for the jig saw. When cutting acrylic with a jig saw, find the finest blade you can and it would go through acrylic like butter:
    DSC08513 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

All done:
    DSC08514 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

Here's the lid on the tank:
    DSC08515 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

So, few things, I wish I would have marked the outside white paper to do the cutting. I had taken it off initially because there were areas of the acrylic that were cut. I didn't want to use a cut section so I peeled one side off to check which area to use. Then, I didn't want to place the unpeeled side down in fear of scratching it so I marked on that side. Now, I cannot get the marks off by wiping it away. I will have to sand it off I suppose. No biggie, but lesson learned.

I still need to clean the edges as well, but I ran out of time.

Later this week I will make a jig to drill all the holes and get the fishing line to finish this little project. Hope you liked

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Zach

Looking good man.
    -Zach

Registered Member

Looks great, I love watching DIY projects.

Real Name
    Ralph

I would say your off to a promising DIY project. That is pretty thick glass to have cut on your own and you nailed it.
    A friend told me the best way to cut glass is on a rubber blanket/mat but your method worked out just fine.
    Great work my friend and will follow this project build to the end.

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Real Name
    Matt

Can't wait to see it wet. Find something like bird netting at the hardware store, would be easier than trying to weave something yourself with fishing line, maybe that is what you mean anyway.....just trying to save you some work lol
    -Matt

Ricardo,

Looking great...really great. You've done an awesome job documenting the build out too. I'm enjoying this one alot.

Going to be a sweet love nest for those clowns!

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast