ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: OT - Rickztah's Low Iron 22g SW Tank Update 11/28

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

Default Re: OT - Rickztah's Low Iron 22g SW peninsula tank

Ricardo, if you like working with acrylic you should look into getting a router table. Most of the techniques used in woodworking can be applied to acrylic and you can get perfect lines and curves, as well as smoothing cut edges with small round-over bits and flush trim bits. Not that expensive. Here is a video showing a simple cut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nwbudpl0Wqo

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by DJW View Post
    Ricardo, if you like working with acrylic you should look into getting a router table. Most of the techniques used in woodworking can be applied to acrylic and you can get perfect lines and curves, as well as smoothing cut edges with small round-over bits and flush trim bits. Not that expensive. Here is a video showing a simple cut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nwbudpl0Wqo
    Thanks Dan. I have been looking at doing my own DIY router table. I have a router but it is an old one and handling bare handed is tough. I will try to do it soon, but for now, this will have to work. I only needed it to keep the fish in. When I take pictures they will all be done without a top

To everyone else, thank you for following along. It has been a fun build so far. When it comes to the stand though, that is where stuff gets interesting

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Matt

Reef Savvy who? How much to hire Ricardo for my next build?
    -Matt

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-n00b View Post
    Reef Savvy who? How much to hire Ricardo for my next build?
    Lol, my goal is always to document a build so well that when I finish people could say, "if that guy did it, so can I!" Most of the time, I am doing these things for the very first time. First time drilling, first time cutting (failed though, lol), first time dropping in a saw to acrylic haha. All of these things are just forum learned things and again, if I can go through the motions of doing something, I'm sure others can too.

I still feel you can drill that tank on your own. Go to Petco and get yourself a $10 10g tank and practice drilling. Once you feel confident, move on to your tank. I can outline it perfectly for you if you ever decide to do it.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Ricardo

I had previously done a mock-scape and was advised to keep it lower away from the water line. I had some time to mess around with the rocks today and was kind of happy with the turn out. Not completely happy with it but it is getting there. The "ledge" on the right will be a littler higher by being glued somehow and this will hopefully cover my return lines. The scape would be flipped and the right would be closest to the overflow, I just didn't want to flip the whole tank to work on it. Let me know what you think:

DSC08542 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

DSC08545 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Matt

I like it but feel that middle rock may be out of place. Don't have a better suggestion for it but I like two rock piles and the channel in between. This tank has always fascinated me, and that's why I think I like two piles and a channel. Nice sense of depth.
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/__5D3lMxYVP...-reef-tank.jpg
    -Matt

Real Name
    Ricardo

That's pretty cool Matt, good suggestion

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Ricardo

Added more height and only used 2 islands:
    20160513_190708 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

Thoughts?

Cafepress.com

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Ricardo, see that one long rock on the right hand side. Perhaps you might consider arranging the two groups so that one long rock just goes behind the left most group a little while still keeping the channel effect. My idea with this is to draw the eye into the tank while creating a sense of depth.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Ricardo, see that one long rock on the right hand side. Perhaps you might consider arranging the two groups so that one long rock just goes behind the left most group a little while still keeping the channel effect. My idea with this is to draw the eye into the tank while creating a sense of depth.
    Pat
    I kind of get what you are saying. The tank wall behind it is kind of close though. Remember, it will be a peninsula tank so it has to be visually pleasing from both sides....hmmmm...

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Ricardo

I finally found it! Before I ever got started or even interested in SW tanks, I remember seeing this video:

I saw that vid and said, "wow, such a small tank but such beautiful inhabitants". That was the spark. I'm so glad I found it because I remember asking so many people about that video and no one knew what the heck I was talking about. Ironically enough, the tank shows a depictions of what I had in my head to recreate. Whether that be because I saw this video once and it was ingrained in my head or not, I do not mind the direction I have taken

Cafepress.com

Registered Member

That's an awesome nano right there,glad you found it again and shared. Looks like it has a Mame overflow too. Love to try one of those but will have to wait til my little girl doesn't have little grabby hands..

Real Name
    Matt

I wouldn't mind doing something similar to my small tank after I upgrade. Whenever that is.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Bala de Plata View Post
    That's an awesome nano right there,glad you found it again and shared. Looks like it has a Mame overflow too. Love to try one of those but will have to wait til my little girl doesn't have little grabby hands..
    yup, Mame overflow. I like those but felt that a glass inner overflow may be even better at keeping EVERYTHING out of the DT. However, the only problem I foresee is how to keep snail/nems out of my overflow without some kind of guard. I have a guard on my 75g but this would be unsightly in this build. Will ponder this a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-n00b View Post
    I wouldn't mind doing something similar to my small tank after I upgrade. Whenever that is.
    Soon hopefully Matt!

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Matt

I'm trying to juggle allocation of funds for reef upgrade, camera upgrade, and computer monitor upgrade Ricardo. I want them all so deciding what comes first second and third is the tough part.....the struggle is real.

I think Torch corals may be more interesting than hammers, just shape wise. They seem to be a bit longer and flow more like anemones IMO.
    -Matt

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast