ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: OT - Rickztah's Low Iron 22g SW Tank Update 11/28

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: OT - Rickztah's Low Iron 22g SW peninsula tank

While I agree with you WRT the torch being more interesting, I don't want to put too many in my tank simply because of their sweeper tentacles. They get rather long and I don't want to risk stinging. Of course they would be off on their own little island, but still.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Matt

True, they wouldn't be the best for the long tank, but in a species tank I would put torch over hammer. I think Hammers would be the better choice for your tank especially in different color forms!
    -Matt

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-n00b View Post
    True, they wouldn't be the best for the long tank, but in a species tank I would put torch over hammer. I think Hammers would be the better choice for your tank especially in different color forms!
    My thought exactly. I can get my hands on a rare yellow bali hammer. Also want some purple and neon green variants.

I ordered my bh's strainers as well as some loc line. This is one part of the build that I had to actually compromise with my vision of what I consider "clean", but oh well, compromises must be made. With that said, the loc line will get in the way of the screen top I made, so 1 of 2 things will happen, I will scrap it completely, or, I will cut the one I have and see if I can weld it. However, I am thinking of not welding because it would have to be joined, cut on cut side which I do not believe it would adhere well. We shall see once the time comes. For now, I am holding off on the fish line since I do not want to go through the hassle of threading twice.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Ricardo

Had some time to work on the tank today. Mainly focused on putting the overflow in place. Also, I put in place a white piece of acrylic inside the outer overflow so that when you see the tank from the other end, you can only see white. I added a slight grade on the inner overflow so that the water goes over the overflow more quietly.

Didn't have time do much else
    DSC08747 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

DSC08749 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

DSC08750 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

DSC08751 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

DSC08753 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr
    Last edited by rickztahone; 05-22-2016 at 10:49 AM.

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Matt

Looks really good! Let me/us know how that grade in the overflow works once it starts running.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Devon Cropley

Looks great Rick, I like the over flow idea.

Real Name
    Ricardo

I have a question I am hoping someone can help me out with.

I am looking at the Reefkeeper controller option. BRS has a great price on the RKL SL2 package. However, it only come with one bar (4 ports). I am wondering, do I really need another bar to run the crucial system operations?

I don't plan on hooking up the light to it since it is controlled on its own.

I could also have the ATO not be connected directly, its a JBJ one but would like to use it if it is more reliable via the RK.

I also have a skimmer (not sure if I need to have this directly connected to the bar?).

What else would I need to crucially need connected to the bar?

Also, I noticed that one of the differences between the Lite Elite and the BRS Lite SL2 Kit is a System Lab X for one and a System Lab 2 for the other. Does anyone know what the difference between those are?

On paper the SL2 Kit looks like a better deal minus the 1 missing bar and whatever the difference between the Lab X and Lab 2 is.

Help?

Here's the link to the item:
    http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reefke...Fc5hfgodzbYEbA

Oh, and before anyone suggests it, I cannot afford the Apex and not sure that I would like to purchase it down the line either. I'm fine with simply spending the $159.99 with this system with their $100 deal.

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Ricardo

I just had a "dug" moment. The system Lab X would be the regular module and the System Lab 2 would be the SL2 module. Good one Rick....

My other questions still stand though

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Matt

Just to give you an idea, on my Apex I let it control power head, skimmer, my hob filter/fuge(N/A your case), Kalk pump if I'm running at the time, ATO, and lights. Most are just an on/off type of control except for power head really. Actual light programming is controlled through the light itself. It allows me to just login to the browser page and cut power to everything if doing a WC then turn back on after without physically hitting a bunch of rocker switches one by one. Not sure if reef keeper is capable of this as I've never used one but it's just how mine is operated.

I've still yet to really dive into full control but I don't have that many things that need real fine control at the moment. My heater does have a program on when temp hits X, off when temp hits Y. When I run Kalk drop same thing, pump on if pH hits X off when it hits Y
    -Matt

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-n00b View Post
    Just to give you an idea, on my Apex I let it control power head, skimmer, my hob filter/fuge(N/A your case), Kalk pump if I'm running at the time, ATO, and lights. Most are just an on/off type of control except for power head really. Actual light programming is controlled through the light itself. It allows me to just login to the browser page and cut power to everything if doing a WC then turn back on after without physically hitting a bunch of rocker switches one by one. Not sure if reef keeper is capable of this as I've never used one but it's just how mine is operated.

I've still yet to really dive into full control but I don't have that many things that need real fine control at the moment. My heater does have a program on when temp hits X, off when temp hits Y. When I run Kalk drop same thing, pump on if pH hits X off when it hits Y
    A RKL can do all of these things as well. The only difference I believe is that the Apex is fully integrated to wi-fi which enables you to access these things via cpt/phone, one thing that the RKL lacks. In all honesty that is more of a luxury that I do not need.

With that said, someone mentioned to me a controller I had never heard of and it has piqued my interest quite a bit. The Reef Angel. Heard of it?

However, it would require me to write code although the wizard code generator seems very intuitive. Thoughts?

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Ricardo

Got updates coming tomorrow everyone and it will be a good one

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Got updates coming tomorrow everyone and it will be a good one
    What a great project...thanks for sharing. Cant wait to see whats coming
    up next.
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Real Name
    Ricardo

As promised, I was able to start my stand build today. Went with premium pine wood for easier time painting it. Very easy wood to work with and I am glad I spent the few extra bucks for it. Went with pocket holes via Kreg Jig for most of it except for side pieces.

I hope you like

Fresh cuts from Home Depot. Started with all 48" pieces but cut them down myself. I don't really trust HD cutting. I made the stand 44" tall and there's a reason it is so tall which I will explain later.
    DSC08868 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

I was drawing the lines that will show me the recessed section of the stand. These are my guide for lining up the side panels.
    DSC08875 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

Prepping for Kreg Jig
    DSC08876 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

Done with Kreg Jig
    DSC08877 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

Now these were much thinner than all the rest. Reason being was that if I went with 1x4's like I did for all others, I wouldn't have too much side panel access, probably 2" max. By going with a smaller wood piece it gave me much more clearance. However, this meant I couldn't do pocket holes. So, I predrilled and also used a pilot for recessed screw heads that I can cover up later.
    DSC08878 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

Everything drilled and ready for assembly
    DSC08879 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

Laying everything out to get an idea of where everything will go
    DSC08880 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

Better shot of all 4 panels upright
    DSC08881 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

Clamp and drill time
    DSC08882 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

All done but still need to add cross beams for tank support. Still need to do the bottom cross beams but didn't get to do it at the time. Will actually work on that now but wanted to get these pics up
    DSC08883 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

Cross beams in. Also used pocket holes here
    DSC08885 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

You'll notice the stand is actually a little off the ground. I did this on purpose and I was hoping it would add something to the overall build
    DSC08886 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

Back to what I was saying about the height of the stand. I made it so tall because this room is actually going to get painted and I will also be adding a mid-level trim piece on all walls. I wanted to incorporate this in to the stand itself so it flows with the walls as well. Being that it is so tall, I will have to brace it to the wall which shouldn't be a big problem.

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Ricardo

I'll apologize in advance because this next post will be a LONG one with a lot of pics.

So, things to mention:

The stand is intentionally bigger than the tank. This was on purpose so that I can put a nice acrylic or glass finish to reflect the tank a little along the lip. Also, it is larger to fit a larger tank down below so that it isn't so snug.

Also, I still need to add plywood on both tank bottom and sump bottom. They are just sitting on cross beams now. Will fix this soon. There's cardboard under the tank to preserve the painted bottom.

The outer overflow box WILL be painted so it will not be an eyesore as it is now. It will be painted the same white as the stand so I am waiting to get that in before I paint this section.

I am sure I am forgetting other things, but as it stands, it is more than half way done. Pretty happy with the way it turned out.

Let me know what you think.

Lets go:

DSC08911 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

DSC08913 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

DSC08915 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

DSC08918 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

DSC08919 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

DSC08922 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

DSC08923 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

DSC08924 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

DSC08928 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Ricardo

DSC08932 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

DSC08933 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

DSC08936 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

DSC08937 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

DSC08938 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

DSC08939 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

DSC08940 by Rick Vasquez, on Flickr

Cafepress.com

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast