ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for some testers

Real Name
    Casper

Default Looking for some testers

Hi everyone.

I have recently created a small website called DiscusTanks.com.
    The main idea og the site is simply to show and give inspiration to discus tank setup. It is at this point pretty simple as you submit a tank with pictures along with information about it such as inhabitants, equipment and so on.

It is however very difficult to test this on my own. Since I programmed and designed the site it I know how it works. This is why I need you to help me test the site and hopefully let me know if (or more likely 'where') I screwed up. Good ideas, unclear information or anything else that you can think of will be very helpful.

I am setting up a sticky thread with reported bugs, and ideas to make it clear what has already been reported and what I am currently working on (and when I have fixed the issue).

A few pointers:

Sign up is needed, however you can use any email you like as it is currently only being used for password retrieval and notifications of new votes or comments to a submitted tank. If you don't like to use a real email then no worries.

If you'd like to help testing but don't want to become a member then please just let me know when you do not want to participate any longer and I'll delete your account asap.

Feel free to ask any questions you like, and please also let me know if you signed up for testing so I can keep an eye on everything.

You can sign up right here: http://discustanks.com/register.php

A special thank you to Paul (discuspaul) for his time in the early stages of testing, and for allowing me to use his beautiful pictures on my site!

Best Regards,
    Casper

Registered Member
    Real Name
    sue

Default Re: Looking for some testers

I signed up,

When Casper first contacted me about his new site, I thought he was sincere & conscientious, and had a good idea for an approach that some discus aquarists might be pleased to participate in, and I did my little bit in trying to help him get it started.
    However, I didn't feel I had the necessary computer/technical skills to help him test it out in order for him to develop it properly, so I then begged off. But in order to help him out further, I'm glad to support his quest for some testers who might help him get his new site off the ground.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Casper, I went ahead and signed up and submitted the info for a tank. The buttons for uploading a file seem to not work so unable to submit a picture.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Casper

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Hi Casper, I went ahead and signed up and submitted the info for a tank. The buttons for uploading a file seem to not work so unable to submit a picture.
    Pat
    I'm looking into this asap ( I sent you a PM ).
    I see other tanks submitted, some without and one with pictures. Looks like 'cedar' didn't have any issues.
    Last edited by kilnakorr; 05-09-2016 at 12:54 PM.

Real Name
    Casper

Quote Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
    When Casper first contacted me about his new site, I thought he was sincere & conscientious, and had a good idea for an approach that some discus aquarists might be pleased to participate in, and I did my little bit in trying to help him get it started.
    However, I didn't feel I had the necessary computer/technical skills to help him test it out in order for him to develop it properly, so I then begged off. But in order to help him out further, I'm glad to support his quest for some testers who might help him get his new site off the ground.
    Thanks alot for the kind words Paul. You where a big help. You really made me realize I have to look at my site from a user's perspective.
    Last edited by kilnakorr; 05-09-2016 at 05:29 PM.

Real Name
    Casper

Pat
    It actually works. However, it is very unclear how to, and ofcourse no warnings when not submitting any images.

As it is now, you need to click 'Upload from computer' or 'upload from file'. once your images has been chosen, you click 'Upload Files Now'.
    I will re-code this.

You can edit your submitted tank and add the missing pictures. Once logged in- go 'My Account->Edit Tank' in the main menu.

Real Name
    Pat

Casper, I tried this again and clicked on each of the "Upload From Computer" button and did not get a dialog to select a file from my computer. I did get a response when I selected the "Upload From URL" button as you can see from the image below. Guessing your idea is to select one file per "Upload From Computer" button for a total of three files per submission. What happens after you click on the "Upload From Computer" button? Also there could be a browser or OS issue. I am using Firefox 46.0.1 and Windows 10.

New tank submission.jpg

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

Same issue for me as Pat, was able to load tank info, but unable to load and pics......

Real Name
    Casper

Casper, I tried this again and clicked on each of the "Upload From Computer" button and did not get a dialog to select a file from my computer. I did get a response when I selected the "Upload From URL" button as you can see from the image below. Guessing your idea is to select one file per "Upload From Computer" button for a total of three files per submission. What happens after you click on the "Upload From Computer" button? Also there could be a browser or OS issue. I am using Firefox 46.0.1 and Windows 10.
    It must be a browser issue, as you say it doesn't show the upload file box when clicking 'upload from computer'.
    I will see if I can get my hands on a windows 10 machine and test with firefox.

I'll keep you updated.

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by kilnakorr View Post
    It must be a browser issue, as you say it doesn't show the upload file box when clicking 'upload from computer'.
    I will see if I can get my hands on a windows 10 machine and test with firefox.

I'll keep you updated.
    I would suggest just trying Firefox first?

Real Name
    Casper

I did, and it was in fact a firefox bug not working - I recoded and it works in firefox also. I have updated the bug list, but keeping it open as it doesn't show you have selceted a file. It uploads correct though. Give it a shot and let me know.

Real Name
    Pat

Ok, checked the content settings under Options on Firefox and I had "Block Pop-up Windows" checked. If I uncheck it the file selection dialog is shown so problem is on my end and the website is fine.
    Pat

Real Name
    Casper

Ok, checked the content settings under Options on Firefox and I had "Block Pop-up Windows" checked. If I uncheck it the file selection dialog is shown so problem is on my end and the website is fine.
    Pat
    Hi Pat.
    Did you ever try adding pictures to your tank?

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by kilnakorr View Post
    Hi Pat.
    Did you ever try adding pictures to your tank?
    I haven't Casper. Can you edit an existing submission?
    Pat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast