ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My First Discus Tank: 75g w/ 40g sump

Registered Member

Default Re: My First Discus Tank: 75g w/ 40g sump

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    Save your selection for when you go, you have the opportunity to just fall in love with a fish or strain in person as opposed to the. Lee deliberate online approach so have fun with it. I think you are doing he right thing going wih like colors. I tend to mix two as well as one alone can get boring to me but again beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I can't help you with be breeding aspect or cross. i would say go with the 4" you will be very happy going that route as a beginner.
    Sounds good. I'll just have to find something else to occupy my mind. I can't wait! I still have a ways to with the tank though, drilling etc. I will hopefully be done in time so that once I finish my exams I can finally get them. Time to stop surfing and do hw........

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dhaval

Hi Lucas , good to see you here...

And this sounds like a good project...With 4 inch discus, you are pretty much set to get the best fish possible from Hans...

All the best!

Dhaval

Registered Member

So after a few exams I am back to getting ready for the discus. I ordered the bulkheads and return pump from Jehmco this afternoon, and am going to order the drill bit off Amazon tonight. I already have just about all the parts to the sump or they have been ordered. The only thing left is a heater. I also have all the media from my FX5 that I can keep in another tank until I've drilled and painted the 75g.

So here are my questions:
    What size heater? 500W?
    What brand heater?
    Can/should I use meadIa that I have seeded I other tanks?

Thanks for the help,

Lucas

Real Name
    Ricardo

Man, if you ordered from Jehmco you should have just ordered 2x Jager 200w. Better to have 2 underpowered heaters than one large one.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Man, if you ordered from Jehmco you should have just ordered 2x Jager 200w. Better to have 2 underpowered heaters than one large one.
    I was planning on 2x300w but tell person I talked to at Jehmco said that you never want 2 heaters cause 1 will always be on and end up burning out. I order from them pretty often so I will go ahead and get two EboJager with my next order. Thanks

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by LucasCCA View Post
    I was planning on 2x300w but tell person I talked to at Jehmco said that you never want 2 heaters cause 1 will always be on and end up burning out. I order from them pretty often so I will go ahead and get two EboJager with my next order. Thanks
    I have 2 and have had no problems. However, I have a STC-1000 DIY heater controller that controls both the heaters and I would highly recommend you do the same. Take a look here at the tutorial:
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...-wiring-(easy)

Only difference is I used two plugs to plug in both heaters

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

I have 2 and have had no problems. However, I have a STC-1000 DIY heater controller that controls both the heaters and I would highly recommend you do the same. Take a look here at the tutorial:
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...-wiring-(easy)

Only difference is I used two plugs to plug in both heaters
    Yeah, that's what he recommended, a temp controller. That is a very good write up! I'll be sure to read through it carefully and then build one for myself.

What do you think about using media from another tank?

Thanks

Real Name
    Ricardo

Yeah, that's what he recommended, a temp controller. That is a very good write up! I'll be sure to read through it carefully and then build one for myself.

What do you think about using media from another tank?

Thanks
    I am personally against it. I like starting clean and knowing that I am starting fresh every single time. Does that mean I have always done it this way? No, but I wish I would have every single time.

With that said, if you could get media from the person selling you the discus, then there is no problem. If you are buying from a sponsor, ask them to sell you a seeded sponge.

Cafepress.com

Registered Member

I am personally against it. I like starting clean and knowing that I am starting fresh every single time. Does that mean I have always done it this way? No, but I wish I would have every single time.

With that said, if you could get media from the person selling you the discus, then there is no problem. If you are buying from a sponsor, ask them to sell you a seeded sponge.
    I am buying from Hans so I will ask him.

I am planning on having some potted plants, do I need to sterilize them?

Thanks for the help.

Real Name
    Ricardo

I am buying from Hans so I will ask him.

I am planning on having some potted plants, do I need to sterilize them?

Thanks for the help.
    Yes, you do. I take a harsh approach to plant dipping so you may want to ask others. I use bleach for dip

Cafepress.com

Registered Member

Well, it looks like I'm going down a different route for where I am getting my fish. After seeing Kenny's select super eruptions on one of his old preorders I knew I had to have them.

I happened to come across someone (Dennis Chang) that needed to move a group of 5 of them at 5-6in (originally from Kenny). We settled on a great deal, even with shipping, and I will be receiving them the week of June 6th. I can't wait!

Now that I will be getting near adult fish and only 5 of them my water change schedule should be reduced, correct? To maybe every other day?

How often should I be feeding them since they are near adult?

Thanks

Real Name
    Ricardo

Play it by ear. Feed good good and I would still do BH. Mine are 6" and I still feed heavy with daily WC's. If you only feed pellets and flakes you should be fine with every other day wc

Cafepress.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12