AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT - Game of Thrones (Spoiler Warning!!)

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default OT - Game of Thrones (Spoiler Warning!!)

Not sure if anyone is a fan but would love to start a chat with anyone that is a fan of the show AND books. This is a series I have been following for many, many years and as they grow further apart from one another, I'd like to discuss some of the similarities and differences with fellow GOT nerds
    Last edited by rickztahone; 08-21-2017 at 12:26 PM.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Matt

Default Re: OT - Game of Thrones

So glad someone started this. I was going to if not. Thought about it the other day. I am absolutely addicted, though still trying to catch up on the books and haven't fully read through them yet. By far THE best show I've ever watched though. Show wise Bran and Arya are the two characters I'm most interested in. My favorites if you will. And sadly, I feel worse when a direwolf dies than one of the characters. WAKE UP BRAN!!

You may want to add the word spoilers to the title just in case lol.

EDIT: Oh and I'm a firm believer in the R + L = J theory.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: OT - Game of Thrones

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-n00b View Post
    So glad someone started this. I was going to if not. Thought about it the other day. I am absolutely addicted, though still trying to catch up on the books and haven't fully read through them yet. By far THE best show I've ever watched though. Show wise Bran and Arya are the two characters I'm most interested in. My favorites if you will. And sadly, I feel worse when a direwolf dies than one of the characters. WAKE UP BRAN!!

You may want to add the word spoilers to the title just in case lol.

EDIT: Oh and I'm a firm believer in the R + L = J theory.
    Spoiler alert added.

There are only a few books/series that I have ever read more than once. This is one of them. I have read this series, up to book 4 about 3 times I think. Only read the 4th and 5th book twice I believe as it wasn't out when I first started reading the series.

My favorite characters are also Bran and Arya. Arya is a total bad @ss in the books but her plot line has extended almost past the books now.

This seems to be the case for many characters now. Of course if you haven't read the last book, I really don't want to spoil it for you, although the show already has...

Do you mind book references and possibly some backstory talk from the books? I'd really love to delve in to some of the fan based theories going around.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Matt

Default Re: OT - Game of Thrones (May have spoilers!)

I won't mind. Some may be over my head having not finished the books yet, but I've done a lot of reading online about different things and plots. Enough to be dangerous.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-n00b View Post
    I won't mind. Some may be over my head having not finished the books yet, but I've done a lot of reading online about different things and plots. Enough to be dangerous.
    lol, yeah, I bet.

Well, since you brought up shaggy dog, there is a fan theory out there that this was a ploy by the Umber brother in cahoots with Rikon and Osha. Unfortunately, ******* Bolton may have not gotten the memo and he disposed of Osha .

Fun fact, Osha is still alive and well in the books

Shireen being a main character in the books that is still alive, as well as her FATHER!

Of course Jojen Reed is still alive and kicking as far I can remember.

The king beyond the wall

Walda!

So many characters now that I think about it.

Cafepress.com

Registered Member

Long time lurker, still learning before I take the discus plunge....
    But I do know about ASOIAF. I have read the books multiple times over the years. Watching the show this season is nerve wrecking because it is so different from the books now, and I have no clue what is happening! But because it's so different from the books, I'm excited to get different takes on this world that I absolutely love.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by magnoliamaybe View Post
    Long time lurker, still learning before I take the discus plunge....
    But I do know about ASOIAF. I have read the books multiple times over the years. Watching the show this season is nerve wrecking because it is so different from the books now, and I have no clue what is happening! But because it's so different from the books, I'm excited to get different takes on this world that I absolutely love.
    most TV viewers will not know what ASOIAF is haha

I (like many other book readers) had decided to take stand and not watch this current season because it would surpass the books. That "stance" lasted less than 20 minutes the day Episode one premiered....I was so weak.....lol

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Matt

Long post kind of all over the place. I love reading theories online. Probably to much.

This season is where it split from the books sadly. GRRM just couldn't push them out as fast as new age TV, which is a good thing because I want them to be quality. Sadly I do think that was Shaggydog rather than a decoy. I believe it wasn't the Umbers or Karstarks helping the Starks plot against the Boltons but rather is and will be the Manderlys which haven't been really introduced into the show to this point other than a few instances when Rob was King of the North. They are fiercely loyal to the Starks. This might be huge for Jon and Sansa as they march on Winterfell. One of the largest armies in the north. I guess they could be subbing the Umbers for the Manderlys. I don't think it would happen but since basically all Stark children are wargs in the books (right?) Rickon should just warg into Bolten's dogs and kill him. Sweet justice. I feel like this will be left to Ghost though when Jon gets down to Winterfell. Or perhaps Sansa will take her revenge, she is really becoming a strong character this season in the show. I really think Ramsey needs to be killed via dogs since that seems to be his choice for his victims. Jon might just imprison Ramsey. I think Osha was just caught up in a crowded cast and was just used as a vessel for the Rickon/Sansa/Jon Winterfell takeover plot. Really hope Rickon makes it out alive, I believe technically with Bran up north MIA that he is rightful Lord of Winterfell. I just can't see it happening, he has no where near the arc that Bran, Arya, Jon, and Sansa have or have had. Still time but I'm skeptical.

I would of liked to see Jojen kept on the show. Side note, I think the ironborn will be Daenerys's ride across the narrow sea to Westeros. They have the biggest fleet I believe and now Daenerys controls all Dorthraki khalasars, which is huge. It's going to get crazy soon. If Ramsey Bolton and the Faith Militant went away I would not shed a tear. Hopefully we get to see some background on the Children of the Forest next episode or soon, I know they played a pretty good role in the book.

I think it's safe to assume in the end the fight will come down to the Wights and Dragons. A song of ice and fire.

Wonder if there is any reasoning to the Direwolf names.
    -Rickon's was named Shaggydog, unkept, dirty, wild no real future it describes Rickon quite well. Never grew up with training to be a lord, a bit distance from other members of the family, prone to tantrums, outbursts, and violence, etc.
    -Sansa's was Lady. No real explanation there, would never hurt a fly, very clean and regal looking, blamed and killed for something she didn't do. By far the most tame and civilized Direwolf of the bunch.
    -Jon's is Ghost, Jon died then came back to life. Same coloration as the weirwood trees, like an avatar for the old gods. Runt of the litter for ******* of the family, very strong and independent as a result. And if R + L = J is actually true, that ice white fur is pretty telling....like the hair of a Targaryen.
    -Rob's was Grey Wind. Color of the house sigil and literal meaning of a grey area where Rob liked to stand. Wind is fleeting, just like Rob's decision making. Breaks vows, marrys for love yet refuses the same for others, never comits to a single ideology. Kills kinsmen but not his mother.
    -Arya's is Nymeria. A queen's name. Show's Arya's ties to her highbourne status yet adventurous dreaming ways. Queen Nymeria was a combat proficient and a warrior, just like Arya is becoming. Nymeria has been separated from the pack for most of the Game of Thrones, just like Arya. Both are resourceful and have fallen well into new lives made for themselves. Supposedly this is the most awesome wolf out of all of them and I can't wait to see her return.
    -Bran's is Summer. Summer is life and a season everyone looks forward to, especially in the North. By having summer always with him Bran can face whatever he needs to, including going beyond the wall into the thick of winter. Summer is the opposite of winter, Bran is Lord of Winterfell but lets his mind wander North abandoning his duties and birthright. He embraces the feeling Summer provides to continue his greenseering. He is fighting against the forces of winter, exactly what a hot Summer would do.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Ricardo

that ice white fur is pretty telling....like the hair of a Targaryen
    This is something I had honestly never even thought about! Very telling and very well reasoned.

I really love your detailed explanation of how the wolves mirror the Stark children, or rather, how the Stark's mirror the wolves?

Nymeria is leading a pack of at least 100 wolves, confirmed by GRRM. When that happens in the show, I would love for Bolton's dogs to try to stop up to a herd, no, army of wolves. They wouldn't stand a chance!

Furthermore, with regards to Targaryen's, and white fur, Tyrion has all white hair in the books as well as mismatched eyes. No other Lannister has white hair, but rather gold, GOLDEN like the sun in fact.

This leads to another huge theory and one that has some real meat on it. The three headed dragon prophecy.

Jon/Daeny/Tyrion would be the three-headed dragon. We already see how diplomacy is Tyrion strong suit against the Harpies. Daeny is stubborn, and Jon is a warrior till the end. These in a way can also serve as representation of the dragons of yor;
    Balerion, the Black Dread
    Meraxes
    Vhagar

These were the most feared dragons in history. Maybe this trio will do the same?

Theory after theory after theory...

GRRM had to apologize profusely to fans for not making his deadlines. His first one was last year around July. That date came and went and then again in August and then again in Oct. It is widely known how he hates deadlines and how they hinder his thought process. At this point, all we can do is hope that he can get that book off to the press before the next season! lol.

For someone who hasn't read the whole series, you have a great grasp of the books.

I'll share a few more in a bit.

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Ricardo

Let us not forget the one that was promised. This does not give gender to the character which can mean one of many things, it can be a woman (Daeny), or, it can mean more than one, prophecies are funny like that , just look at Harry Potter

Cafepress.com

Registered Member

I am surprised by how many things I missed on re-reads. I always read Damfair vs. DampHair or Kettleback vs. KettleBlack. But I was able to pick-out R+L=J, Abel = Mance. I thought I was the best sleuth to figure out who the grave digger was, but went online to let the world know, and I was well behind on that!

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by magnoliamaybe View Post
    I am surprised by how many things I missed on re-reads. I always read Damfair vs. DampHair or Kettleback vs. KettleBlack. But I was able to pick-out R+L=J, Abel = Mance. I thought I was the best sleuth to figure out who the grave digger was, but went online to let the world know, and I was well behind on that!
    lol, too funny. I will admit to reading the name Damphair so quick that I did refer to him as Damfair as well. Then, when you think about it, it is only fitting that he would be called Damp HAIR as he is a servant of the Sea god.

The Abel story is a very good one, thanks for bringing it up. Rose left behind....

Cafepress.com

I tried watching the show, Given I love fantasy stories, I thought it was a given for me..But I just couldn't get into it. I'm thinking I need to try the book route... I take it ...George R.R. Martin's book series A Song of Ice and Fire (ASOIAF) is what the adaptation for the Game of Thrones came from?

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    I tried watching the show, Given I love fantasy stories, I thought it was a given for me..But I just couldn't get into it. I'm thinking I need to try the book route... I take it ...George R.R. Martin's book series A Song of Ice and Fire (ASOIAF) is what the adaptation for the Game of Thrones came from?

al
    I watch a sum total of about 2 hours of TV a week, GOT is one of them. Huge fan, Al you need to start from the beginning, if you watch the first season you will be hooked.

It's hard to discuss the books vs the TV show, as the TV show is an adaptation based on the books. I think now that the TV show has eclipsed the books, staunch book readers might be at a disadvantage of sorts, as Grmm will in all likelihood head down a much different path (otherwise who would buy the books?).
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

otherwise who would buy the books?
    Lol !!! Believe it or not there are some people that do like that archaic act of reading over having it digested for them and presented already interpreted!

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast