ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: OT - Game of Thrones (Spoiler Warning!!)

Real Name
    Rick

Default Re: OT - Game of Thrones (May have spoilers!)

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Lol !!! Believe it or not there are some people that do like that archaic act of reading over having it digested for them and presented already interpreted!

al

lol, I didn't mean to say one should have preference over the other, but discussion threads which include both plot lines get kinda messed up, as each is it's own entity.
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    Matt

GASP!!!! How dare you Al!! . You are one of the only or very few people I know that can't get into it though hahaha

And Ricardo, I told you I know enough to be dangerous. I do a lot of reading online of fan theories, plot explanations, etc and those people are always comparing the book so I pick up on a bunch lol. One of these days I'll go back and finish the books but at this point may just start over with them.
    -Matt

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Well, some of us have not even started it. My daughter so wants me to watch it she even bought me the first four seasons on DVD. I must admit it sounds right up my alley. Perhaps I should agree to be assimilated.
    Pay
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Dariusz

Yes, Al.

I don't like so much discussion about what will be if..., but I like exchange opinions with fans
    So, a few questions:
    If show meets your expectations? - My, yes! This is a solidly constructed job

Which book you like the best? - First and second (I didn't read Dragons one yet).

Which actor of the show you like the best, which was you disappointed? - The most disappointed I was... Jamie. Actually, Nikolaj play very well, but he doesn't fit with my appearance of Jamie. The same with Sansa.
    I like Peter as Tyrion the best and Maisie as Arya is also good.

Real Name
    Dariusz

Lol !!! Believe it or not there are some people that do like that archaic act of reading over having it digested for them and presented already interpreted!
    Yes, Al. I , just started build my own library a few years ago, mostly with SF and fantasy books

Real Name
    Ricardo

I tried watching the show, Given I love fantasy stories, I thought it was a given for me..But I just couldn't get into it. I'm thinking I need to try the book route... I take it ...George R.R. Martin's book series A Song of Ice and Fire (ASOIAF) is what the adaptation for the Game of Thrones came from?

al
    That is correct. Since you love reading I would highly advise you to read the series. I think you would love it.

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    I watch a sum total of about 2 hours of TV a week, GOT is one of them. Huge fan, Al you need to start from the beginning, if you watch the first season you will be hooked.

It's hard to discuss the books vs the TV show, as the TV show is an adaptation based on the books. I think now that the TV show has eclipsed the books, staunch book readers might be at a disadvantage of sorts, as Grmm will in all likelihood head down a much different path (otherwise who would buy the books?).
    This unique situation has never really happened ever in history where a show surpasses a book whilst the series is still being written or hasn't even been fully created. It is very unique but also very frustrating. For many, many years book readers goaded people with the fact that book readers were way ahead of everything as far as theories/plot lines/interpretations. Now, as it stands, book readers are cringing, and if there are any die hard fans out there that chose not to watch the show this season, well now the show watchers can goad over the book reads, HA!

al

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Ricardo

lol, I didn't mean to say one should have preference over the other, but discussion threads which include both plot lines get kinda messed up, as each is it's own entity.
    Very line in the sand kind of situation. It is difficult to keep up with what happens in the book and what happened in the show. Sometimes you forget what really happened in the books and take the show as canon

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-n00b View Post
    GASP!!!! How dare you Al!! . You are one of the only or very few people I know that can't get into it though hahaha

And Ricardo, I told you I know enough to be dangerous. I do a lot of reading online of fan theories, plot explanations, etc and those people are always comparing the book so I pick up on a bunch lol. One of these days I'll go back and finish the books but at this point may just start over with them.
    Yet another thing I have to tell you to get on with again Matt.... lol

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Well, some of us have not even started it. My daughter so wants me to watch it she even bought me the first four seasons on DVD. I must admit it sounds right up my alley. Perhaps I should agree to be assimilated.
    Pay
    You NEED to watch the show Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Darcon View Post
    Yes, Al.

I don't like so much discussion about what will be if..., but I like exchange opinions with fans
    So, a few questions:
    If show meets your expectations? - My, yes! This is a solidly constructed job

Which book you like the best? - First and second (I didn't read Dragons one yet).

Which actor of the show you like the best, which was you disappointed? - The most disappointed I was... Jamie. Actually, Nikolaj play very well, but he doesn't fit with my appearance of Jamie. The same with Sansa.
    I like Peter as Tyrion the best and Maisie as Arya is also good.
    The show does meet my expectations. At times I feel like archs for specific characters are drawn out too long but understand why they do it.

I actually love A dance with dragons. I love how everything starts coming together after everything we have had to go through in the the previous books (seasons). However, with that said, Book 1 is a definite favorite as well as it sets up everything that happens in the series. Almost everything can be traced back to that first book.

In fact, one of the things that is always on my mind is WHAT WOULD HAVE HAPPENED IF SANSA does NOT lie in front of her family and Robert in the first book which starts a snowball of bad things. They were so close to leaving back to Winterfell. Sansa can actually be a much hated person for being so weak and naive.

One of the things that I do not like from the shows is how much older the actors are than their book counterparts. I understand that these actors HAVE to age, but I wish they would have started with a younger cast because if I remember correctly, Bran shouldn't be more than 7-8yrs old currently? I may be way off here as its been a while.

In the show, without a doubt my favorite actor is Peter Dinklage.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Very line in the sand kind of situation. It is difficult to keep up with what happens in the book and what happened in the show. Sometimes you forget what really happened in the books and take the show as canon

Yet another thing I have to tell you to get on with again Matt.... lol

You NEED to watch the show Pat

The show does meet my expectations. At times I feel like archs for specific characters are drawn out too long but understand why they do it.

I actually love A dance with dragons. I love how everything starts coming together after everything we have had to go through in the the previous books (seasons). However, with that said, Book 1 is a definite favorite as well as it sets up everything that happens in the series. Almost everything can be traced back to that first book.

In fact, one of the things that is always on my mind is WHAT WOULD HAVE HAPPENED IF SANSA does NOT lie in front of her family and Robert in the first book which starts a snowball of bad things. They were so close to leaving back to Winterfell. Sansa can actually be a much hated person for being so weak and naive.

One of the things that I do not like from the shows is how much older the actors are than their book counterparts. I understand that these actors HAVE to age, but I wish they would have started with a younger cast because if I remember correctly, Bran shouldn't be more than 7-8yrs old currently? I may be way off here as its been a while.

In the show, without a doubt my favorite actor is Peter Dinklage.
    Part of the problems with the books versus the show, is in the show, many characters are a composite of two or more characters from the books. For instance Sansa/Jeyne Pool. Or the merger of Theon with Victorian (it will happen soon). It's a necessary evil for the show, but tends to get a lot of scorn from the book readers.

So what do you think is going to happen in Kings Landing with the Tyrell's, the Lannisters, and the High Sparrow? I think the High Sparrow told Tommen that the Tyrell's had something to do with Jofferry's murder, Tommen shared that with Cersie, and now Cersie is setting a trap.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    Ricardo

Part of the problems with the books versus the show, is in the show, many characters are a composite of two or more characters from the books. For instance Sansa/Jeyne Pool. Or the merger of Theon with Victorian (it will happen soon). It's a necessary evil for the show, but tends to get a lot of scorn from the book readers.

So what do you think is going to happen in Kings Landing with the Tyrell's, the Lannisters, and the High Sparrow? I think the High Sparrow told Tommen that the Tyrell's had something to do with Jofferry's murder, Tommen shared that with Cersie, and now Cersie is setting a trap.
    Cersie is ALWAYS scheming. In all honesty I hadn't really given much thought about what will happen with the high sparrow. They have quite a following though and will not be as easy as some may think to debunk their power.

I would love for that plot line to speed up a bit though. As it stands there should be 3 major battles coming.
    Faith militant / lannisters and lords
    White walker army and the Wall?
    Daeny vs the Harpie. There will be a civil war for sure

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Rick

Daeny vs the Harpie. There will be a civil war for sure
    I think Tyrion will solve this problem on his own with help from the new Red priestess.

Dany is about to form an allegiance with the greyjoys to secure the ships necessary to transport her troops.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    Matt

Agreed Rick. This is all show speaking btw, The ironborn are their ride across the narrow sea. I just struggle to see the Harpie as being much of a threat now with Daeny controlling all dothraki khalasars, she will bend them into submission.

I firmly believe the sparrow will die at the hands of the Mountain in the show. And I fear Tommen's fate might be by his own doings, especially if something happens to Margaery Tyrell like the walk of atonement. The Lannisters will be the losers of this GoT, especially if R+L=J (and the other 3 headed dragon theory) prove true. Good riddance, Tommen and Tyrion are the only Lannisters I like and Tyrion may not even be a Lannister!!

I'm skeptical of a new red priestess. Maybe I just don't want another one, not sure.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Rick

I firmly believe the sparrow will die at the hands of the Mountain in the show. And I fear Tommen's fate might be by his own doings, especially if something happens to Margaery Tyrell like the walk of atonement. The Lannisters will be the losers of this GoT, especially if R+L=J (and the other 3 headed dragon theory) prove true. Good riddance, Tommen and Tyrion are the only Lannisters I like and Tyrion may not even be a Lannister!!
    this is how I see it....

http://moviepilot.com/posts/3918499
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    Matt

Totally agree and can see that happening as well. Them bringing in highgarden's army was a bit suspect to begin with. Just screamed trap to me.
    -Matt

I know my opinion will not be well-received, but what the heck.
    I have watched this series from the beginning and liked it up until last year.
    Now, I am a hate-watcher.
    There are a few shows the wife and I watch together but I have made a few adjustments to the titles of ones she watches that I bust her chops about.
    We both get a kick out of the new names so I hope some of you do, too.
    True Blood: True Stupidity
    Walking Dead: Walking Nonsense
    Game of Thrones: Game of Ridiculous Plot Twists
    Grimm: Dumb
    Chris V.

Real Name
    Matt

Just watched the newest episode, it leaked early online. I won't spoil it yet but wow!
    -Matt

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast