ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: It all started here at Simplydiscus

Default It all started here at Simplydiscus

I never thought this would happen to me, I have read many stories about catching the discus fever but I never imagined myself going there

I just told myself I will get a pair and enjoy them and if they breed I will just sell the fry and keep some for me (or so I thought)

It all started in February 2013 when I bought a pair of RT discus (turned out to be two males later), and stumbled along the way and decided to post about it here in simply discus seeking help. Two years later and I have accumilated 7 aquariums! today after three years I built a fish room adding 8 more breeding/grow out tanks and one 2.4 meter acrylic show tank!

Concerning discus, I could not get my hands on any high quality discus, all were either sick, stuned or just low qual. So after we got fed up I joined forces with my discus buddy (Hamza) here in KSA contacted Forrest and bought some really nice fish that we were lucky to get several pairs out of it, and produce a good number of fry.

We made it our (Hamza and myself) goal to provide the missing and most important link in this hobby= High quality healthy discus to all existing and wannabe Discus hobbiest here in Saudi Arabia, so they don't have to suffer what we have went throgh both financially and with Diseased weak fish.

This month was a remarkable point in my hobby and could be the most important one (although it dug a borehole in my pocket) when I received the first ever import of wild discus to set "fins" in the middle east ever! and find home in my fish room, There is a story to that though and things were not smoth as I wanted it to be, more on that later...

Finally, what I want to say is that if not for the help and very fast support I rcieved from everyone here I might have just lost mi very first pair of discus and quit the hobby with the common immpression that discus is a sensitive weak expensive fish. Therefor, the small contribution I make through my Homessteader membership is somthing simply deserves.

Default Re: It all started here at Simplydiscus

Good to hear.hope u have many more happy discus keeping years.my journey is about the same.

Real Name
    Phil

Very cool to see your progress and hear about it! TYFS

Congrats on the success, and for acknowledging SD for your ability to keep discus. Yes, if it weren't for this forum, I certainly never would have become a successful discus hobbyist. I hope the addition of the wilds works wonders for your program. -Don

Real Name
    Ricardo

If it weren't for discus my discus journey would have ended with a 29g tall tank w/ 3 discus soon after they passed....

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

I probably wouldn't have started at all... I've loved discus for years but never actually thought I could have any. The only info I had on them was a book saying they needed low ph, etc etc.