ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Oscar breeding

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Default Oscar breeding

Just wondering if anyone had any success breeding oscars? I bought 6 about 4 years ago and grew them out over time I ended up with 3 as the other ones killed each other and I ended up with a pair that laid eggs but I have had no success in getting them to lay again. I have removed them and they are in their own tank they are constantly quarreling and dancing with no action yet. I keep up with the water changes and keep the temperature consistent. Last time they laid eggs was about 3 months ago and I never got them to hatch because someone ate them. Here is some pics

20160210_214724.jpg

Real Name
    Naz

Default Re: Oscar breeding

To trigger spawning, increase the temperature, do water changes and offer an enriched diet.Keeping the fry alive can be a lot more difficult than getting the parents to lay eggs in the first place. here is a link hope it helps http://www.oscarfishlover.com/breeding-oscar-fish
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Pretty sight to watch, keep us posted with pictures.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

They have been just flirting
    20160526_143608.jpg

Real Name
    Phil

Damn not sure if it's the angle or if that dude is just a beast!! Nice couple you have there. The dainty pretty female and the big beast!!

Good luck! I had oscars growing up and they are fun fish! I miss mine but any free tanks I have these days get discus I am bitten and can't go back!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

I had a plan over 4 years ago and I don't want to get rid of them until I can "hopefully" get a successful spawn out of them. They are about 14" or so but if i'm not successful with them I will go full throttle discus

I catch them wild from my back deck
    Over 50 years in fish and it still feels brand new!! Woodduck

Real Name
    Jason

What size tank and what is your water change schedule? You have some erosion around the nostrils which would indicate more and bigger water changes are needed.

Real Name
    Casey

Yeah, you need to take care of the health of your fish. They'll breed once they are healthy. you just raise the temp a few degrees for Oscars.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! - Hunter S Thompson

Registered Member kunaldiscus01's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kunal Sharma

Breeding oscars is alot easier than discus.They are not very fussy about water parameters as long as extremes are avoided.Since you have mentioned you are already doing your fair share of tank maintenance,I wonder why wont they spawn?! What is your water change regime? Also what diet they are on? I suspect,this could be a female-female pair scenario too quite common in cichlids,but that is only a speculation.
    Kunal Sharma

You can't imagine the discus world without simply discus!

Registered Member kunaldiscus01's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kunal Sharma

Oh I just realised,the thread has been posted for a good while.Did you eventually manage breeding them?
    Kunal Sharma

You can't imagine the discus world without simply discus!