Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    iTrader
    9 (100%)
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Nhumunda "Brilliant Blue" Heckels

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    John had just gotten four tankfuls of heckels the day before our trip and so they weren't ready to go to new homes yet. John won't sell you anything unless he's sure it's acclimated and doing well. Trust me, I asked.

Now that collecting season has wound down the warehouse wasn't full by any means but there was still plenty to see. I spent a lot of time going back and forth, trying to decide what I wanted to take home with me. I could have easily come home with 20 fish. I settled on four wild discus and two large Uaru amphiacanthoides. I left behind a small Japura Green and a couple Tapajos Blues that I should have just bit the bullet on while I was there. He also had altums in a few sizes, including huge ones that were probably 6 - 8" tall, but someone had come in a few days prior and bought the whole tankful. It's probably a good thing because I would have been highly tempted. Large altums don't usually do well after import but these were in great shape and John said they'd been there for three weeks with no issues. Even he was surprised.

Pat's game plan was a bit different than mine. She stuck to all one type, I brought home one each of four different types (no heckels). I've not really worked with wild discus so it's just a trial run to see how they do for me.

I'm glad we made the trip. I've been buying from John for years and it was nice to finally meet him and see some wilds in person. It's also always nice to see Pat and take a roadtrip. This is our second one. Hopefully my driving doesn't terrify her.
    Ryan, your driving does not bother me one bit. Now my hubby's driving...but that's another story. It was a pleasure to ride down with you and see you again. I am always up for a road trip and I do not know any other fish geeks in the area and it's nice to learn from you. You know so much more then I do. OMG those altums were awesome and huge.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Blog Entries
    iTrader
    9 (100%)
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    Excited to see updates on these fish
    They are starting to become more social so will try and get more pictures up soon.
    Pat

iTrader
    Real Name
    Phil

These are the types of threads I love, really getting to hear stories from the trenches of fish lovers and enthusiast!

Thanks so much for that write up Ryan, something about the psychology behind the hobbyist intrigues me. I love to hear about the inner workings, the plan before, what happened when you got there, what you left with and why, so I appreciate the insight!

It sounds like you guys had a fun and successful trip. How far apart do you both live and how long was the trip to Johns?

So Ryan, are you planning to breed or cross the wilds with a domestic line? What are you doing with those Uaru amphiacanthoides? They are rather popular these days on the forum, I went from never hearing of them to seeing them in 3 seperate threads, lovely fish!

Pat- you are working with a group of smaller heckles as well, right? Would you combine these with them down the line? Or think you will head back or order more to add to this group?

I see you both got 4 fish, I always hear the 5-6 starting number... Do you guys see any issue with a group of 4 or do you both plan to add to it so you aren't that worried right now?

Blog Entries
    iTrader
    9 (100%)
    Real Name
    Pat

Hey Phil, Ryan lives about an 1.5 hours away to the north and John's place is a solid three hours to the south. Ryan picked me up since I was "on the way". We generally recommend a minimal of six discus in a group but I have found that smaller groups can be successful but it really depends on the temperament of the fish within the group. Too early to tell if those four will make a compatible group or not. Regarding the smaller heckels I ended up culled the few I had left. It was not easy to do but I couldn't risk adding them to this group later and having the same issues. Unsure about whether I will add to the group or not.

iTrader
    Real Name
    Phil

Hahaha, nothing like being on the way to get some wild discus!! Very cool, sounds like a fun trip with 2 discus genius' in tow!

I had no idea you had to cull those little heckles!! That was the group you had the whirling with? Sorry, I must have missed that or the updates, I had no idea.. geez that sucks...

Thanks for the explanation of the size of the group... I always hear 6 tossed around as well, I was worried and hesitant with the 5 I got, especially considering the close quarters! So far so good with the group of 5 please let us know how 4 works out. What sort of temperament are you seeing on these guys? About what size are they? What size tank are they in? Do you plan to play with the water and keep a low ph?

Blog Entries
    iTrader
    9 (100%)
    Real Name
    Pat

Yes Phil, I had the whirling issues with the small heckels. I didn't bother with updates...it was too depressing On the current heckels it is too soon to tell how the group dynamics will work out. Will have to wait until the fish are comfortable so time will tell. Initially I thought the heckels were 4-5 inches but they are more like 5-6 inches so good sized. They are currently in a 40 (QT tank) with a tap/ro mix (60/40) and will be transitioned over time to a low ph tank. John had them in well water with a ph of 8.2 but the water was soft. The heckels looked fantastic in his water.
    Pat

Registered Member
    iTrader

Damm that whirling disease. Everytime one of my wilds twiches my heart almost stops and i almost soil myself, figurativelly speaking of course. So Freds and yours were from the same batch, right? No pics of Johhnys facility? I dont care if it looks, like a bomb went up there, i wanna see his fish.

Blog Entries
    iTrader
    14 (100%)

Unfortunately Pat and I didn't take a camera. I had my iPhone but there are no lights over the tanks and pictures are difficult. Even John admitted that's why his pictures were usually bad. Pat is good with a camera so maybe next wilds season we can go back and she can get some nice pictures.

iTrader
    Real Name
    Phil

How are all your purchases doing pat and Ryan ?

Blog Entries
    iTrader
    9 (100%)
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by plecocicho View Post
    Damm that whirling disease. Everytime one of my wilds twiches my heart almost stops and i almost soil myself, figurativelly speaking of course. So Freds and yours were from the same batch, right? No pics of Johhnys facility? I dont care if it looks, like a bomb went up there, i wanna see his fish.
    I can identify with the Ferdo Same facility but different locations. If I go again I will take the camera and ask John about taking pictures. Generally if I take pictures of a sponsor's facility (including fish) I leave it to the sponsor to post any pictures I take (just as a heads up).
    Pat

Blog Entries
    iTrader
    9 (100%)
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    My guys seen to be doing well Phil. Saw all four eat FDBWs this afternoon. They are also eating live red wigglers but not sure which ones. Overall they are becoming more comfortable around me.
    Pat

iTrader
    Real Name
    Phil

How did you transport them home guys? Did John pack them as if he was shipping them or did you use a different method since you were a few hrs drive from tanking them.

Blog Entries
    iTrader
    9 (100%)
    Real Name
    Pat

How did you transport them home guys? Did John pack them as if he was shipping them or did you use a different method since you were a few hrs drive from tanking them.
    John bagged them just as if he was shipping them Phil.
    Pat

Registered Member nofearengineer's Avatar
    iTrader

I'm not sure if this thread is helping tide me over, or just making me more impatient. Thank God there were no pictures. I'd be dying right now.
    People say planted discus tanks are unnatural. I wish I could figure out why the Amazon is so muddy...with that bare glass bottom it has.

Blog Entries
    iTrader
    14 (100%)

So Ryan, are you planning to breed or cross the wilds with a domestic line? What are you doing with those Uaru amphiacanthoides? They are rather popular these days on the forum, I went from never hearing of them to seeing them in 3 seperate threads, lovely fish!
    I have kept Uaru for years, long before anyone on the forum really said much about them. They were very popular in the aquarium hobby in the early days and they were called "poor man's discus" because they're relatively round and laterally compressed, they have bright orange/red eyes like discus, and the fry feed from the parents' slime coat. As discus became more commercially viable and affordable, Uaru took a backseat. They can look rather bland with tan/brown bodies and black markings, but color is not usually what attracts me to a cichlid. I like body shape more than anything. It's nice that they are seeing somewhat of a resurgence in the hobby now. A lot more people seem to be keeping them. They are fairly easy and the amphiacanthoides are more adaptable than the other species, fernandezyepezi. You do have to provide them a large tank (these are 12"+ fish) with lots of fresh water or they get HITH easily. They also need lots of veggies. But the water part is usually no sweat for a discus keeper. I actually got them to keep my severums company in a 210 gallon and to hopefully distract the severums because their conspecific aggression is very high. Uaru are more comfortable in groups like discus, so I really should have bought all four John had. It wasn't in the budget after also getting four discus.

I see you both got 4 fish, I always hear the 5-6 starting number... Do you guys see any issue with a group of 4 or do you both plan to add to it so you aren't that worried right now?
    If I were keeping young fish, I would stick to the minimum of six rule. As discus mature they tend to mellow out a bit and I have kept them in groups of as few as four. I have not seen too much bullying in my wilds yet. There's a little chasing and nipping here and there, but they do not really go after each other the way juvenile discus would in small groups.

Mine are not being as cooperative as Pat's, but I am currently putting them through metro (I have a long process to treating new wilds I bring into the house). I think the meds are making them jumpy. However, they all seem to be eating so I think once the quarantine is done and I move them to a bigger tank they'll settle down a bit.

Here is a video I took the second day they were here. Pat's heckels were still here at the time.

Yes, that Cuipeua has a blue face. That's why it came home with me. I'd never seen one like that. I did pick out a few that were "leftovers" with uneven bars and ratty fins, but I have become somewhat of a pro at trimming and cleaning up fins, so I'll have that fixed soon.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast