ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: how does water quality effect fry growth

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Adrienne

Default how does water quality effect fry growth

Hello I'm knew to breeding. My discus layed eggs at an inconvienent time when I could not dedicate myself to them and what I've read it takes to breed. I thought I'd let nature take its course this time and try again after the busy holiday at work passed but apparently the eggs were fertilised and now I have fry. This was my first spawn and is my first batch of fry. I was not prapared nor expected them to last this long but now they have been attached for almost 2 weeks. So my question is how does water quality affect fry? They're in unfiltered tap water. I use a pH downer and maintain parameters at 6.7pH, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5.0ppm. Temperature is 84f. TDS is usually high 100s (above 160ppm). I preform water changes 2 times a week. From the what I've been reading online my water quality does not match for breeding and I'm wondering how this affects them. So far I don't see any problems with them

Default Re: how does water quality effect fry growth

Fry need clean water and frequent water change for nutrients absorption. You'll notice once they start dying and slow growth. it takes a lot of work to raise fry, also I wonder if you already started feeding them baby brine shrimp

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Adrienne

Yes I've started feeding baby brine shrimp and some first bites too... I'm a florist and I was planning on breeding my pair after Mother's Day (it's almost as busy as valentines day) and my boss came back from vacation. I had set up a breeding tank and was trying to educate myself for my first attempt at breeding and raise discus but then it just happened.

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Without large daily water changes and lots of good food you will end up with small, stunted, poorly shaped discus. Raising fry takes a large commitment of both time and money. You will need some 75 gallon tanks to raise the fry in and once you pull the fry from the pair be prepared that they will just spawn back.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Adrienne

What would the likeliness of the fry being ok now that I have for daily water changes and frequent feeding... I do have a 75 and my friend has a 65 55 and a few 20s and 10s, were planing on working together with the breeding pair and fry but then babies just happened and it wasn't a good time but they have survived...I'm now ready to attempt this challenge the right way but I already have fry

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Bill

John, I've been raising my fry and juvies in RO reject water as you suggest, however, my reject water approaches 400 TDS. is this still ok? Also, I am flowing through 20 gph in 80 gallon grow outs plus replenishment after vacuuming, is that acceptable as well?