AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

View Poll Results: What should I do with my 75g Tank?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Add only Sand

1 2.50%
  • Add only Driftwood

2 5.00%
  • Add both Sand & Driftwood

17 42.50%
  • Add plants (I'll tell you now, I am really not leaning towards this at all)

0 0%
  • Add a SpongeBob figurine with a pineapple

4 10.00%
  • Leave the tank BB for another 6 months

4 10.00%
  • Leave the tank BB for another year

2 5.00%
  • Leave the tank BB forever!

10 25.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lets take a poll!!! Decide the future of my tank ;)

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and University Discus_KC's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jack

Default Re: Lets take a poll!!! Decide the future of my tank ;)

This fish are awesome! #8 all the way!
    (816) 517-4529

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dhaval

I think a black or dark blue background with super white sand will look awesome, it is a nice sized group and occupies entire tank, you don't need driftwood or rock or anything to add as a filler...the current background is awesome but it doesn't give the needed contrast for these amazing fish.

Real Name
    Filip

Growing for another 6 months ,for sand with driftwood as a final outcome. Some Javas or Anubias on driftwood here and there may give some colour to the set up too.
    Sponge Bob would be pushing the limits of your current bioload :-) .

Real Name
    Jacklyn

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-n00b View Post
    Biotope wouldn't look right with leopard snake skins! lol
    biotope looks right with any discus
    ~JACKLYN~

Real Name
    Ricardo

Add both sand and driftwood is winning by a slim margin! I knew it would be close, and I am actually torn myself just as the poll shows as well haha. Lets get a few more votes in

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

i vote #2, just driftwood, an off-centre spikey spiderwood pile on the bottom

hah! this is hilarious, i just tried to google the tank i was thinking of to send u a pic of what i mean... and the search brought up ur previous thread on simply where you posted the link lol

http://wilddiscus.weebly.com

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Kyla View Post
    i vote #2, just driftwood, an off-centre spikey spiderwood pile on the bottom

hah! this is hilarious, i just tried to google the tank i was thinking of to send u a pic of what i mean... and the search brought up ur previous thread on simply where you posted the link lol

http://wilddiscus.weebly.com
    Haha, that is funny. Small world right? That single picture got me back in to discus

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Ricardo

So I kind of reached a conclusion as to what I want to do. Actually, if I am being honest, it was kind of decided for me. I happen to still have a lot of BH left in the freezer. So much so that I believe it will last me at least 6 more months. Once I run out of BH, I will change this tank around. I will more than likely go with DW and sand but I will stop feeding BH all together. I will only feed pellets and FDBW's. I will still keep with the daily water changes, but I don't want to deal with the issue of getting BH trapped on DW and rotting. So, that is the game plan.

I should mention, my wife has made it clear that the tank is looking kind of "boring". I told her, "that is what the clownfish tank is for!"

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Nathan

Sorry I forget, but where is the tank located in the house? Is it in a fish room or basement, or somewhere where visitors can see?

Basically, is it a "display tank"? If it's a display tank, I think driftwood and thin layer of sand is the definitely the way to go later on. Heck, I'd even recommend trying out easy plants tied to driftwood like anubias, Java ferns, Java moss.

If it's "hidden" away in a fish room or basement or garage, then its just now a matter of how much time do you want to invest in it? Bare bottom means minimal time spent. Sand means having to use a gravel vac during water changes. Driftwood might encourage territorial behavior when pairs are formed. Plants are another set of headaches altogether, though it is almost always tied to lighting intensity.

Hmm,
    Well the sand and driftwood really wasn't in the lead Add up your bare tank votes and its 16-11 at least for the next 6 months and 12- 11 for the next year!

From a technical point of view, a " thin" layer of sand and driftwood is really not much different from a bare bottom tank really. They hold the same benefits as far as ease of care with the minor difference that you need to be more careful with waterchanges and sucking up the substrate.

It really comes down to what you want to see there now. Looking forward to it!

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Ricardo, I voted for six more months of BB. Allow these guys to grow and fill out some more. I would then try the sand and wood and see if you like it. Keep the sand very thin. Are you considering adding any tankmates? Perhaps a little herd of cories?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by zergling View Post
    Sorry I forget, but where is the tank located in the house? Is it in a fish room or basement, or somewhere where visitors can see?

Basically, is it a "display tank"? If it's a display tank, I think driftwood and thin layer of sand is the definitely the way to go later on. Heck, I'd even recommend trying out easy plants tied to driftwood like anubias, Java ferns, Java moss.

If it's "hidden" away in a fish room or basement or garage, then its just now a matter of how much time do you want to invest in it? Bare bottom means minimal time spent. Sand means having to use a gravel vac during water changes. Driftwood might encourage territorial behavior when pairs are formed. Plants are another set of headaches altogether, though it is almost always tied to lighting intensity.
    It is in a prominent place in the house and it is a display tank for sure. However, aesthetics have never won out with me over practicality and good husbandry tactics which is why this has been BB for so long. With that said, I had told the wife initially (when I got the discus) that it would be a show piece once they were grown out. She sees them at 6" now and believes they are as "grown out" as they are going to be, lol. So, that lead me to this poll.

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Hmm,
    Well the sand and driftwood really wasn't in the lead Add up your bare tank votes and its 16-11 at least for the next 6 months and 12- 11 for the next year!

From a technical point of view, a " thin" layer of sand and driftwood is really not much different from a bare bottom tank really. They hold the same benefits as far as ease of care with the minor difference that you need to be more careful with waterchanges and sucking up the substrate.

It really comes down to what you want to see there now. Looking forward to it!

al
    You raise a good point, when I tally in that manner, BB wins out. I'd be lying if I didn't say I had hoped sand/DW wasn't the leader but I didn't want to influence the poll. I have DW and sand ready for the tank but as I stated before, it will be at least another 6 months before this revisited again.

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Ricardo, I voted for six more months of BB. Allow these guys to grow and fill out some more. I would then try the sand and wood and see if you like it. Keep the sand very thin. Are you considering adding any tankmates? Perhaps a little herd of cories?
    Pat
    I actually hadn't considered it. Would love to introduce cories as I have always been fond of them. However, I have always been one to be overly cautious about bringing any new fish in to the home, no matter how reliable the source simply because I don't jeopardizing my whole discus stock for dither fish. With that said, I love the idea and might just set up a QT in a few months and have them separate for at least 3 months just to be sure they are safe.

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    It is in a prominent place in the house and it is a display tank for sure. However, aesthetics have never won out with me over practicality and good husbandry tactics which is why this has been BB for so long. With that said, I had told the wife initially (when I got the discus) that it would be a show piece once they were grown out. She sees them at 6" now and believes they are as "grown out" as they are going to be, lol. So, that lead me to this poll.
    You can think of it as "your" tank as much as you want, but as you said, it's in a prominent place in the house. Unless you're in charge of interior design AND keeping the area spic and span, this prominent place in the house is your wife's territory. Your tank stands there at that spot only because she is being a supportive wife by allowing you an opportunity to showcase your passion to friends, family and other guests.

You have big, beautiful and healthy discus, so you know guests WILL notice the fish and will check out the tank.

- What's the next thing people will look at after noticing your discus? Your tank is so nice and clean! All viewing panels need to be algae free. Water must be crystal clear (but that's pretty much a given with all our water changes LOL)

- Next up would be the substrate. I know many in this forum will disagree with me, but bare bottom is simply just NOT display worthy. At best it will look boring. At worst, your discus will decide to poop when your guests are around, giving a nice stark contrast to the white bottom...
    - I will echo Al here and really recommend you put in a thin layer of sand, half an inch deep or less. You can be aggressive with vacuuming it and just put in new sand if needed.

- Driftwood is nice and can dramatically change the look of a tank, but you already know this - you already have the nice pieces you're planning to use.

- Plants. Definitely optional, but something you can experiment with if you get driftwood - just tie some java ferns or anubias or moss on the driftwood. In one of your videos, I remember seeing you having a lighting fixture hanging from the ceiling - if you ever decide to have plants, this will make your life soooo much easier because you can always raise lights up to reduce intensity. (My tank has almost the same dimensions as yours, and I have 2x54W T5HO hanging 18" above the tank. Yes, you read that right - my light fixture is a foot and a half above my tank, and it's almost 3ft from the light to my substrate haha!)

TL;DR - it's a display tank where guests will see. Tank needs to be always clean and pretty so the wife can always proudly show to guests. Happy wife = happy life. Wife raising eyebrow/s or rolling eyes = bad for hobby.
    Last edited by zergling; 06-07-2016 at 04:01 PM.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by zergling View Post
    You can think of it as "your" tank as much as you want, but as you said, it's in a prominent place in the house. Unless you're in charge of interior design AND keeping the area spic and span, this prominent place in the house is your wife's territory. Your tank stands there at that spot only because she is being a supportive wife by allowing you an opportunity to showcase your passion to friends, family and other guests.

You have big, beautiful and healthy discus, so you know guests WILL notice the fish and will check out the tank.

- What's the next thing people will look at after noticing your discus? Your tank is so nice and clean! All viewing panels need to be algae free. Water must be crystal clear (but that's pretty much a given with all our water changes LOL)

- Next up would be the substrate. I know many in this forum will disagree with me, but bare bottom is simply just NOT display worthy. At best it will look boring. At worst, your discus will decide to poop when your guests are around, giving a nice stark contrast to the white bottom...
    - I will echo Al here and really recommend you put in a thin layer of sand, half an inch deep or less. You can be aggressive with vacuuming it and just put in new sand if needed.

- Driftwood is nice and can dramatically change the look of a tank, but you already know this - you already have the nice pieces you're planning to use.

- Plants. Definitely optional, but something you can experiment with if you get driftwood - just tie some java ferns or anubias or moss on the driftwood. In one of your videos, I remember seeing you having a lighting fixture hanging from the ceiling - if you ever decide to have plants, this will make your life soooo much easier because you can always raise lights up to reduce intensity. (My tank has almost the same dimensions as yours, and I have 2x54W T5HO hanging 18" above the tank. Yes, you read that right - my light fixture is a foot and a half above my tank, and it's almost 3ft from the light to my substrate haha!)

TL;DR - it's a display tank where guests will see. Tank needs to be always clean and pretty so the wife can always proudly show to guests. Happy wife = happy life. Wife raising eyebrow/s or rolling eyes = bad for hobby.
    Funny enough I just used the "happy wife = happy life" thing on her 2 days ago

Cafepress.com

BB stands for bare boring! I put a thin layer of white sand in my new set up, when I moved, and I love it. I still prefer a minimalist approach. Not too much driftwood and not too may other decorations. I have a few rocks, a plant and 1 show piece driftwood. The main focus is still the fish.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast