Kenny's Discus     Australian Blackworms

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A few wilds from John

Blog Entries
    iTrader
    14 (100%)

Wink A few wilds from John

As Pat already mentioned, we took a road trip a couple weeks ago to visit John in Ft. Myers and see some wild fish. I'd only planned to go "window shopping" but still came home with four wild discus and two wild Uaru amphiacanthoides.

I have been buying wild cichlids from John for years and years, and some of my nicest breeding stock over the past eight or so years has come from John. I have never had a problem with John's fish. They're always healthy and you cannot beat John's prices on anything!

Despite breeding tons of wild South American fish, and keeping tons of domestic discus, I have never owned wild discus. Going from tank to tank with Pat and looking everything over, I decided I'd be going home with some. I took a different approach from most people getting into wilds; rather than get a group of the same type, I got one each of four types. I should have grabbed two more but I blew the budget on Uaru. I came home with:

- Lago Grande
    - Tapajos Blue
    - Cuipeua
    - Cameta Yellow/Brown

I'm in the middle of quarantine. John does treat the fish but I clean up all my wilds just to be sure. Right now we're on day 5 of a 7 day metro treatment. They've already had a prazi treatment, and in a week or two they'll get a levamisole treatment. Then they'll be ready for a larger tank and some small, peaceful tankmates (maybe).

I should also mention as a disclaimer that some of these fish are not perfect and I know that. John had a few "leftovers" that had been there a while, and they'd been picked over for various reasons. It happens -- I occasionally end up with leftover odds and ends in my shipments, too. But it certainly doesn't mean anything is wrong with them, and I can see the potential in them. I will clean up the crooked fins on a few, and the broken bars on discus do not bother me too much. I picked these fish mainly for their shape, and their overall health. They were thick, active, and in most cases the dominant fish in the tank.

Here's a quick video from this weekend. They enjoy the sunlight in the afternoon from my window.

Last edited by Ryan; 06-01-2016 at 01:52 AM.

Blog Entries
    iTrader
    14 (100%)

Default Re: A few wilds from John

I also want to say that it was a pleasure traveling with Pat and meeting John. John is a really nice, laid back guy who is happy to talk fish. He took time out of his weekend to show us around and bag fish for us. I really appreciate that.

The facility wasn't fully stocked since wilds season is over, but he'd just gotten about four tankfuls of Nhamunda heckels the day before so they should be ready in a week or two I'm guessing. He wouldn't sell us anything out of the tanks of new fish because he knew it needed to be acclimated. He was very honest and up-front about that. He also had some amazing wild Altum angels ranging from dime-sized all the way up to adults which were probably at least 7 - 8" tall. They were all in excellent condition. He had zebrina pikes and Atabapo red pikes which I'd never seen in person (they were gorgeous -- look them up!), some nice little Geophagus, a handful of large Satanoperca (daemon and I believe leucosticta), some Hoplarchus psittacus, some Heros liberifer which are mouthbrooding severums, and of course the Uaru. As a cichlid guy, I could have easily spent another $1000 on fish.

For pleco and catfish lovers, John had some gorgeous stuff. I'm not a pleco guy at all but there were some really beautiful fish there. It's a shame I don't know anything about them. In a separate room there were smaller fish like green neon tetras, rummynose tetras, some nice hatchetfish, and cardinals. When I go back I should probably get some rummynose.

Pat and I would love to go back and see the place when collection season is in full swing. John said during those months every tank is full. That will surely be impressive. Next time we'll hopefully take a camera if John doesn't mind and snap some pictures of the fish.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    iTrader
    9 (100%)
    Real Name
    Pat

These guys are going great Ryan. You are doing well with them (not surprised about that ). If was a pleasure to traveling with you also. Anytime you wish to go I am game.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

iTrader
    2 (100%)
    Real Name
    Jacklyn

cool video and nice write up Ryan. I wish I lived closer to FL so I could go look at an importers collection. NC is just not a good area for discus, aside from Eric at Carolina discus, there just isn't anyone else. i wish i could find some guianacara owroewefi in the US. ive been wanting them for a long time. I see a lady in the EU is breeding them, i follow her on youtube but she cannot ship to US.
    ~JACKLYN~

iTrader
    9 (100%)
    Real Name
    Matt

Which is the one on the left as the video starts, that fish is going to be absolutely beautiful in a year.

Registered Member
    iTrader
    Real Name
    Adolfo

Hey Ryan what is the first discus on vid his looker - Lighthouse

Blog Entries
    iTrader
    14 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jmf3460 View Post
    cool video and nice write up Ryan. I wish I lived closer to FL so I could go look at an importers collection. NC is just not a good area for discus, aside from Eric at Carolina discus, there just isn't anyone else. i wish i could find some guianacara owroewefi in the US. ive been wanting them for a long time. I see a lady in the EU is breeding them, i follow her on youtube but she cannot ship to US.
    I'd never been to see wild discus either. We do have quite a few large cichlid/fish farms here raising livestock in outdoor vats and I've been to many of those. It's pretty common in Florida. John definitely has fish more suited to my taste.

Someone had owroewefi within the past year if I'm not mistaken. If I see any on lists I'll try to remember to drop you a message. I've never kept Guianacara myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-n00b View Post
    Which is the one on the left as the video starts, that fish is going to be absolutely beautiful in a year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse7 View Post
    Hey Ryan what is the first discus on vid his looker - Lighthouse
    If you're both talking about the splotchy red one, that's the Lago Grande. He's an Alenquer-region fish. It looks like the splotchy red pattern is pretty common on them -- see here:

http://www.amazon-exotic-import.de/G...o%20Grande.htm

iTrader
    3 (100%)

Very nice collection Ryan!
    Very active, colorful and nice shapes.
    Have fun with them.
    I bet that was a great visit!

Ardan

Registered Member
    iTrader

Nice wilds. Is the one with a greenish/yellowish shine Tapajos blue? At what water parameters are you keeping them?

Blog Entries
    iTrader
    218 (100%)

I'm Jealous!

I've gotten a bunch of fish from John too over the years... currently my wild greens are all from him. Some I inherited from another hobbyist that got them from him others I bought directly. Its always been a pleasure to work with him. Would have loved to traveled with you and Pat there Ryan. Looks like a nice group of wilds you picked up!

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>We really could use your support. Please DONATE HERE Thanks!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I kind of like it when people read my threads and posts and reply... don't you?

Blog Entries
    iTrader
    14 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ardan View Post
    Very nice collection Ryan!
    Very active, colorful and nice shapes.
    Have fun with them.
    I bet that was a great visit!

Ardan
    Thanks, Ardan! It was a great visit. We had a lot of fun. It was hard to pick out only four fish from a few hundred. I knew for sure I wanted the Cuipeua and the Lago Grande but I agonized over the decision for the other two. There is a Jurua Green still kicking around that should have come home with me, and he also had a couple Alenquer royals that were a bit out of my price range but were very tempting because they were fully patterned.

Quote Originally Posted by plecocicho View Post
    Nice wilds. Is the one with a greenish/yellowish shine Tapajos blue? At what water parameters are you keeping them?
    The Tapajos Blue has a yellow base color but it does have a light blue/white sheen over it. It's the fish in the foreground at about 0:05. Right now they are in my tap water. pH is 7.4 (got my fancy pinpoint digital meter last night), gH about 5. I'm set up now to start softening water for some of my blackwater fish, so after quarantine I may bring their parameters down a bit. John has all his wild discus acclimated to his tap water with a pH in the high 7s so that's what I kept them in. He only drops his pH lower for altums and other sensitive fish, if I'm not mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    I'm Jealous!

I've gotten a bunch of fish from John too over the years... currently my wild greens are all from him. Some I inherited from another hobbyist that got them from him others I bought directly. Its always been a pleasure to work with him. Would have loved to traveled with you and Pat there Ryan. Looks like a nice group of wilds you picked up!

al
    He told us about the bagging mishap with the greens he sent you. I had the exact same thing happen when I shipped some fish to Georgia. Oops!

Registered Member Driftwood Mike's Avatar
    iTrader
    Real Name
    Mike

That's a really nice group and I too am loving that first one on the left! Great job!

iTrader
    9 (100%)
    Real Name
    Julian

Nice looking group.
    Julian

Registered Member
    iTrader

these guys look great for "leftovers". like you, i am all about shapes in wild discus.

iTrader
    Real Name
    Phil

Ryan,

I was wondering if you could share more info on the blue faced Cupeia as well as your plans with these guys.

You mentioned in Pats initial thread that you had never seen a fish like the blue fave and neither have I. Was just wondering if you got to chat with John about it or if he had seen one like it. Hard to imagine a fish like that guy being picked over!

Also do you have plans to cross these with some domestics. It seems like you purposely went w all different strains to see what might work or cross or just maybe to see what strains thrive better under your planned care. Always cool for me to hear the mentality behind the selections so if you would be so kind and share that I'm sure many of us would find it interesting.

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast