ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: New discus - 2 week hunger strike

Registered Member

Default New discus - 2 week hunger strike

Hello! I'm not new to fishkeeping, but have bought my first discus group. I ordered 6, and the whole group is eating except one.

Unfortunately, the second day I got this fish, she jumped and ripped THROUGH my netting. She must have been very spooked (the lid was fastened down and everything). I have no idea how long she was out of the tank, but she was alive, amazingly! I've since purchased a glass lid. Her back fin almost completely ripped off, but it's healing up very well...she's just starting to come out and swim with the group. Unfortunately, I just can't get her to eat - the tank is a stable 84 degrees and all the other fish are eating like pigs. I've tried beefheart, bloodworm, pellet, flake, but nothing seems to strike her fancy. How long can she go without food? Any feeding tips? She's a very large discus - in the 6" range. Much appreciated!

Real Name
    Filip

Default Re: New discus - 2 week hunger strike

Grown up discus can survive without any feeding for full 1-2 months .
    So give her a little more time with clean water and frequent feedings and hopefully she will bounce back .

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dhaval

Default Re: New discus - 2 week hunger strike

Also, depending on how bad the damage it, treat her if needed that will reduce some stress and make her want to eat.