ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: planted start up

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Default planted start up

Well it has been 2 months getting to this point. Just doing everything in my spare time and so I started my journey of getting the bio system going for the first 3 months before I add discus and tetras/corys.

20160601_201427.jpg

10 mins into the start up my inline diffuser started to leak a minute later the whole thing broke apart and this is the result.

20160602_144432.jpg

I just sent it back to get a new one but that sucks I will bypass that section for now to get the filtration running.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: planted start up

Forget an inline diffuser, make yourself a Rex Griggs DIY reactor and never have to worry about this isssue.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Just looking how he plumbs it. I think I could build one of those setups.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Had no idea that CO2 could make such a difference. I see this tank everyday and do maintenance but I can see a difference in growth. 1 week without CO2 and the last 2 weeks with CO2. I am running a reactor setup on it as opposed to a diffuser.

20160624_193154.jpg

Real Name
    Ricardo

I love using reactors as opposed to diffusers. I find diffusers to be so intrusive in to the tank.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

I ran the reactor on the outside of the aquarium and it had a leak because of the bushing that came in the kit. I doubled up the clamps and if it leaks later I will install it inside the tank behind the fibreglass corner where you can't see it.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Cichlids View Post
    I ran the reactor on the outside of the aquarium and it had a leak because of the bushing that came in the kit. I doubled up the clamps and if it leaks later I will install it inside the tank behind the fibreglass corner where you can't see it.
    Do you have a pic? Why didn't you make a reactor yourself? It would have cost you like $10-$15 in parts depending on which check valve you went with.

Cafepress.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

I got this max mix CO2 reactor for 17 bucks so i figured what the heck. I plan to make one on another setup but I just wanted to get this tank going

20160625_105535.jpg

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Moved over the first fish today and going to let the bioload equalize. The discus went into shell shock when I took some of the tank mates out but they seem to come around after the water change and blackworms.

20160713_160655.jpg

left the rummynose tetras and corys with the discus and move all the other guys out.

20160713_160719.jpg

Real Name
    Filip

Nice looking display tank Mike .
    What kind of fish are the two groups swimming in the center of the tank?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Congo Tetras and Dwarf Rainbows. The only other fish in there are Clown Loaches and Redline Sharks and Otto Catfish.

Not sure after I put the Discus and Rummy Nose Tetras in if I want cherry barbs or Dwarf gouramis or just leave it as is.