AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Seachem Pristine

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: Seachem Pristine

Can this product be used with a reactor? Paul, do you use Purigen in a reactor or by way of other means?

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Can this product be used with a reactor? Paul, do you use Purigen in a reactor or by way of other means?
    You were probably referring this question to the other Paul, however I'd like to mention that I don't use Purigen in a reactor, but I'd like to try it, since I feel quite sure the adsorption capability would be significantly greater with the Purigen beads moving around constantly, rather than sitting static.

However, Pristine seems to be a totally different product with the bacteria slowly but steadily breaking down the evident wastes, and I can't imagine a reactor helping that to occur more effectively.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Pristine is not used in a reactor, it is introduced directly into the tank and the bacteria reside in the water column, substrate, and the biological filter.

I use Purigen in a custom made reactor. Seachem sells Purigen in loose form or in a bag that is placed in the path of water movement. The loose form is cheaper than the bag form. Also, the bag tends to compact the Purigen beads and blocks water flow thru it.

Here's a link to details on my reactor:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...urigen-Reactor

Here's a link to my complete filtration system:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...tration-System

Here's a link to how my filtration system functions:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...stem-Functions

Also contained in one of the links above is a description of how to modify a HOB reactor to hold Purigen.

Hope this is helpful.

Paul

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
    You were probably referring this question to the other Paul, however I'd like to mention that I don't use Purigen in a reactor, but I'd like to try it, since I feel quite sure the adsorption capability would be significantly greater with the Purigen beads moving around constantly, rather than sitting static.

However, Pristine seems to be a totally different product with the bacteria slowly but steadily breaking down the evident wastes, and I can't imagine a reactor helping that to occur more effectively.
    You are correct about the use of Purigen in a reactor. When I first tried using Purigen I purchased the bag form and placed it in the path of moving water. After a couple of weeks, I carefully cut the bag open to examine the Purigen beads. Purigen turns dark as it absorbs organic material. It was obvious by examining the beads that the water was channeled such that only a small portion of the beads were coming into contact with the water. I would guess that loose Purigen in a reactor is at least 10 times more effective.

Paul

Real Name
    Ryan

I was talking about this with a friend and pointed me to this. Says they seem to be identical products. Ill have to check both these out. Thank you for posting afriend.

Real Name
    Ryan

Sorry link didnt load last post
    http://www.aquavitro.com/products/remediation.html
    Is the identical product i was speaking of.
    Last edited by Poppa Ryno; 06-06-2016 at 09:27 PM.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Thanks Paul

Quote Originally Posted by afriend View Post
    Pristine is not used in a reactor, it is introduced directly into the tank and the bacteria reside in the water column, substrate, and the biological filter.

I use Purigen in a custom made reactor. Seachem sells Purigen in loose form or in a bag that is placed in the path of water movement. The loose form is cheaper than the bag form. Also, the bag tends to compact the Purigen beads and blocks water flow thru it.

Here's a link to details on my reactor:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...urigen-Reactor

Here's a link to my complete filtration system:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...tration-System

Here's a link to how my filtration system functions:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...stem-Functions

Also contained in one of the links above is a description of how to modify a HOB reactor to hold Purigen.

Hope this is helpful.

Paul
    Good info. So, since it is a liquid and not an actual mass item, then it can be dosed via dosing pump? In conjunction with a purigen reactor, that may be a very valid approach to clean water.

I have a spare reactor lying around that I may give the purigen a crack. Don't know much about it so will have to research it further. With me thinking about switching over this discus tank to sand/DW, it is good to know that I may have something as an aid on top of my WC's.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

I wonder...how would this affect planted tanks and the nutrients that waste provides? I like the idea of less slime in my tubes...

Quote Originally Posted by Poppa Ryno View Post
    Sorry link didnt load last post
    http://www.aquavitro.com/products/remediation.html
    Is the identical product i was speaking of.

Yup - sounds like exactly the same type of product as Seachem's Pristine.

I wonder if this product are the same as those overly hype Pure Aquarium Balls, I remembered people went nuts buying those stuff and actually I tried them myself but didn't notice any difference instead I change more water and my routine. The results are way better

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by warblad79 View Post
    I wonder if this product are the same as those overly hype Pure Aquarium Balls, I remembered people went nuts buying those stuff and actually I tried them myself but didn't notice any difference instead I change more water and my routine. The results are way better
    One thing I will say is that I also got some of these bio balls and I felt they actually worked with my cycle. I think everyone's mileage will vary, but for me, it was worth the try.

Cafepress.com

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

Yup - sounds like exactly the same type of product as Seachem's Pristine.
    I think Aquivitro and Seachem are the same company.
    Last edited by DJW; 06-07-2016 at 12:20 AM.

Real Name
    Ryan

Aquavitro is indeed a division of seachem

Silver Member

This is just an FYI from SEACHEM

Pristine works well with all of our products and filter medias. It is simply beneficial bacteria that helps to breakdown large detritus in the aquarium, as well as, provide bacteria for your biological filter. If you do 60% water changes daily, it would not hurt to add a dose of Pristine several times a week after the water change. Especially if you are cleaning the filter. Any time you do maintenance on the filter, you are potentially disturbing the beneficial bacteria, so adding Pristine will compensate for that.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

I think this stuff is worth a try, but the skeptic in me has the following questions:

If the main reason we strive to keep our tanks clean is to keep low the numbers of bacteria that are feasting on detritus, wouldn't it be counterproductive to add bacteria? After all, it is not the detritus itself that is a problem, but the bacteria that are decomposing it. Or are the bacteria in Pristine somehow different-- do they displace more harmful types?

And a well-established tank that has anaerobic pockets (substrate) should already have colonies of facultative anaerobes.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast