ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Water lines and GPM

Real Name
    Jim

Default Water lines and GPM

With my 3/8OD tubing I was getting a flow of approx 2.5gpm out of my pump that was rated at 3/4gpm - Aquatec had never even tested this pump with 3/8OD tubing and they were surprised it even worked at all

Anyway, due to a somewhat unrelated issue, I had need to rip out some drywall and decided to install a 1/2OD tubing line also so I can get the full 3.4gpm fill into the 180gal tank. I'm leaving the 3/8 tubing in to service some breeder tanks I'm setting up. Ultimately I'll have 3 pumps - 1 ea 3.4gpm feeding the 1/2OD tube to the big tank, 1 ea 3/4gpm feeding the breeders w/o fry at 2.5gpm through 3/8OD tubing, and the original 1.5gpm pump feeding the breeders that have fry.

As you may or may not remember, I bougth another 100gal storage tank a few weeks back with the intent of using that for the breeding tanks - this tank will feed the two pumps that will feed the 3/8OD tubing while the other 100gal and the 65gal will service the 180gal tank through the 1/2OD tubing ... going to take a lot of valves and Y connectors

Despite the fact that the one tank is intended for servicing the breeders as a stand alone, I also wanted it plumbed into the circulation system of the other tanks "just in case" and for future possibilities. Since I have the drywall out, thought I'd shoot a few pics

First pic shows the blue 1/2OD tube and the black 3/8OD tube going up through the basement ceiling - or - down into the basement, depending on how you want to look at it Electrical also comes through the same opening

Second pic are the two water lines routed through the basement ceiling towards the room containing the water tanks. electrical goes off in a different direction

There is a hallway between the room (bathroom) where the lines come down and where the tanks are. Rather than pulling off the drywall and drilling through each of the joists, I ran the two tubes in surface mounted channels (often used for stereo wiring)

didn't mean to post yet

So from the hallway through the wall into the room with the tanks

for now, both lines run to the same pump, 1/20D not yet connected (pump to the right is RO pump & first RO filter is lower left hand corner in the pic - pre pump filter)

then a view of the three storage tanks plumbed together on the bottom bulkheads - note the 3 little fishies ball valves to direct flow to the Eheim 1262

The Eheim pumps it up to a bulkhead ( of my design ) that distributes it to the two or three tanks (in the next pic you'll see the 3 little fishies valves that control what goes where)

Note I also added filtered breathing ports lol The other two pumps will go on the wall behind the 100gal storage tank that currently has nothing over it - the line will enter the tank through the PVC which will also keep the tubing straight all the way to the bottom.

Lastly, and finally, the RO unit that fills the 100gal tank

phwew ... didn't realize this would get so long and boring .... wonder how many of you made it all the way through lololol

lines into basement from upstairs.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Cosmo; 06-05-2016 at 08:51 PM.
    ... Born under a Bad Sign ...

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and University Discus_KC's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jack

Default Re: Water lines and GPM

I read every word!
    (816) 517-4529

Real Name
    Tony

I went thru but didn't get it why 3 tanks?
    My Fish Space
    300gallon Bare Bottom Tank [COMPLETED]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "seek peace and pursue it"

Real Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by MKD View Post
    I went thru but didn't get it why 3 tanks?
    Yeah, I guess I was a little disconbubulated The two most prominant in the pic have been there for years and years and are used for WCs on my 180gal tank. I recently setup 4 breeder tanks (as of this writing only 1 is populated) which will require softer water, and, increase my overall daily water demand. To cover both those issues I needed another 100gal of storage for aging and mixing of tap and RO. The tank on the very left (almost out of view) will be primarily used to service the 4 breeder tanks and for the most part will remain isolated from the other two.

btw... I think it's 2 little fishies, not 3 lol

Real Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Discus_KC View Post
    I read every word!
    A true buddy! lol When you get up here for the show you can give me some pointers on improving my system ]

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and University Discus_KC's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
    A true buddy! lol When you get up here for the show you can give me some pointers on improving my system ]
    Plan on it!!!
    (816) 517-4529

Real Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Discus_KC View Post
    Plan on it!!!
    We'll put some steaks on the barbie lol