ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ***Auction *** Fire Red Discus from The Discus Shop for SD!!!

Real Name
    Phil

Default Re: ***Auction *** Fire Red Discus from The Discus Shop for SD!!!

Very cool!! What a steal!

What are your plans for them?

Real Name
    Ricardo

Those are some really nice looking discus. Good luck Dan and again, congrats. You got a heck of deal there!

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Mark

Attachment 98933[/QUOTE]
    Ok, looking at these Discus, they don't look like the two in the pic. I see light faces, orange eyes (instead of red) and body color is mixed.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Las Vegas View Post
    Attachment 98933
    Ok, looking at these Discus, they don't look like the two in the pic. I see light faces, orange eyes (instead of red) and body color is mixed.
    Mark, have you ever had discus shipped to you?

Ask absolutely any one of our sponsors and/or buyers and they will all tell you the same. When discus come in from shipping, they always look more muted/dull. This is why Kenny and others have become accustomed to saying, "don't take pics when they first come in", simply because they don't look as great.
    Last edited by rickztahone; 06-23-2016 at 05:52 PM.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by The Discus Shop View Post
    Congratulations Dan!! Thank you for supporting the forum by bidding on these incredible fish!! I will include an extra jumbo fire red Piwow for a total of three fish for this great cause! Will PM you to coordinate shipping.

Thank you Al and the SD family. This has been a great auction!
    Someone did not read the reply that an additional Discus will be added as a bonus

Aside from that, I consider all three superb quality and would not hesitate to display them in my tank.
    Color will explode once they settle in.

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Real Name
    Phil

All very true, especially with such bright full color discus as these... you really notice the dullness of shipping but give them time and that fire will shine!

Real Name
    Matt

What a steal Dan! Thank you The Discus Shop for such fine fish too. I'd be very happy with those in my tank. That extra jumbo is a huge bonus!!
    -Matt

Real Name
    Dan

I really did no favors to Dennis and William at the Discus shop by taking pictures. That picture was taken within a minute or two of the fish being in the tank. They had a long ride from Las Vegas to Ohio. They look great now, full color and rounded out even though it’s been less than 12 hours. I’d also like to give Dennis and William a top-notch nod. They were very responsive and we had a nice text conversation this morning (they called but I was busy and didn’t answer). I wouldn’t hesitate to order from them. The fish are very well conditioned (big, FAT, healthy, and round).

As for my plans with the fish? I don’t know! I certainly didn’t expect to win them with a $350 bid. I sold my last (and first/only) batch of Discus because I thought I was taking a new job and didn’t want to get behind on water changes and basic maintenance. I ended up keeping my current job and needed a hobby, so I found two 29 and one 55-gallon tanks on craigslist for $100 a few weeks ago. I figured I’d grow out some Angels but wanted to make it easy, so I built a rack in the basement and (attempted) to plumb the tanks so I could do very fast water changes. Last night (12 hours before these Discus arrive) my Dad helped me drill and plumb the tanks to the water storage tank and drain. The 55-gallon tank that these fish were going in didn’t look tempered through polarized glasses but shattered when I drilled it, so it was definitely tempered. I drilled the two 29s and the storage tank without problem and we got them plumbed. When I woke up this morning, one tank was cracked and the other was leaking. The leak was from the bulkhead, which I tightened, but was still afraid to put the Discus in and leave for work. So to recap, I have $750 worth of fish arriving in minutes and 3 tanks out of commission. I moved some fish out of a 26 gallon bowfront, emptied and bleached it quickly and got it refilled just as FedEx brought the Discus. So that is why these guys are crammed in a 26 gallon tank with a dark background. I’m going to move them over to the 29 to give them a tad more room.

So back to my plan for these fish, I need to go buy another tank. Probably a 75-gallon since I’ve heard they are less likely than 55-gallon tanks to be tempered. But I’m terrified to plumb the tank after my experience yesterday. If I get a pair, I’ll try my hand at growing out fry. I probably need to pick up a few more Discus since I’ll have a solo fish if I do get a pair.
    Last edited by ddr1981; 06-23-2016 at 08:13 PM.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Do you have picks on how the tank cracked? How are you drilling them and how are the 29s drilled? What location are they drilled?

Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Do you have picks on how the tank cracked? How are you drilling them and how are the 29s drilled? What location are they drilled?
    I don't have pics of the 55. It shattered into a million pieces so it was tempered. The 29 didn't crack during drilling. It cracked after the plumbing was hooked up to it. The sidewalls of the storage tank are slanted which made the plumbing slanted and put a bunch of pressure on the 29 gallon tank that sat under it. I am not surprised it happened and should have drilled the bottom of the stock tank and not the angled side. Here are some pictures.

2016-06-23-21.49.41.jpg2016-06-23-21.49.47.jpg2016-06-23-21.50.23.jpg

I really want to thank Dennis and William again here. Sending the extra fire red speaks volumes as to what kind of sponsor these guys are striving to be and how much they value this community. You guys are extremely generous and professional sponsors!Thank you!

Dan sounds like you are off to a bit of rough start tank wise! Not an expert on drilling here but 75 gals from All-Glass used to be tempered glass bottoms, sides were not.

Enjoy your new fish! They are beauties!

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Phil

Damn... rough start to say the least! Nice fish, not so nice outcome with those tanks!

Kudos to you first off for scrambling and making this happen with all going on...

Can I ask a question? If you only plan to run one or two tanks, do you really need to drill them if the water storage is so close? Cant you just pump over...

I know a few people felt the original 2 were a possible pair, do you know which two those are? Are you planning to keep those 2 separate or all 3 together and see what forms?

Sounds like you need to buy more discus!!! Lucky you!!!

I agree, Phil.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Dan

Thanks everyone. I planned on running 2-29s, 1-55, and 1-75 on the rack which is why I wanted to plumb them. I could just use a hose but the whole idea of putting the fish on a plumbed rack was to make daily maintenance quick and with no mess. I still haven't decided if I'm going to use hoses or drill more tanks. As far as the pair, I'm pretty confident which two are the possible pair. For now, I'm going to keep all 3 together but will probably add some more soon and isolate the pair. I just have to figure out what type to add. The Fire Reds are beautiful but I don't think I want a basement full of them, but I also want to make sure I get Pigeon-based fish in case one of these pair with the new fish.

Real Name
    Heidi

Those reds are gorgeous. How sad they had to close their shop.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123